Soaring magazine

Old August 6th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rhonda

Default Soaring magazine

Does anyone else have trouble getting their magazine from the SSA? I
have called several times and they say I am in the database, but each
month, I either have to call and have them send one to me, or I don't
get one. Has anyone else had this problem? And how did you resolve it?

Thanks,
Rhonda

Old August 6th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

There was one particular month, this year I think,
where several of us in North and South Carolina waited
and waited and waited. I called SSA to let them know
mine hadn't come and they sent me one. Towards the
end of the month, or maybe it was into the following
month, the 'origianal' issue came.

Must be the 'dark of night' or whatever holding them
up from time to time, courtesy of the U. S. Postal
Service???

By the way, my August issue arrived in the mail on
Saturday, 4 AUG 07. Not bad!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old August 6th 07, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Ray Lovinggood wrote:
Must be the 'dark of night' or whatever holding them
up from time to time, courtesy of the U. S. Postal
Service???

A couple of years ago delivery of Soaring magazine was getting later and
later into the month, then stopped altogether. For six months I called
the SSA office to get replacement copies sent, then rather vociferously
expressed my frustration to whomever answered the phone that day in
Hobbs. At the beginning of the next month the doorbell range, my letter
carrier handed me the latest issue of Soaring, apologized profusely, and
promised it would never happen again. Indeed, delivery has been pretty
consistent since then (only one or two issues a year go missing).

I'm not sure what happened, perhaps a sorting problem (I sometimes find
a copy of Soaring addressed to another local member, nested inside my
copy), my letter carrier got tired of carrying magazines, or she or
someone in her family is into flying (I also had troubles with delivery
of Air & Space). In any case, a call to the local postmaster might be
in order if delivery problems persist...

Marc
Old August 6th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Aug 6, 9:36 am, Rhonda wrote:
Does anyone else have trouble getting their magazine from the SSA? I
have called several times and they say I am in the database, but each
month, I either have to call and have them send one to me, or I don't
get one. Has anyone else had this problem? And how did you resolve it?

Thanks,
Rhonda

I visited with Rhonda for a few minutes about this and some other
interesting topics. A few of us in Colorado, in adjoining 806XX zip
codes, were getting Soaring about a month late from approximately Dec
through May. I suspect they were bundled and that the USPS regional
distribution center MAY have mis-identified the distribution date. In
any event, I noticed the most recent issues, received 6/30 and 8/1
respectively, had the address location, font, and format changed from
what I last recall.

Rhonda's been a business member since about February. Her
frustration's been that she's spoken with someone different most times
she's called the office. I suggested that the next time she call, she
ask that they check the mailing software for address rejects. I had
an SSA member locally that wasn't getting Soaring from the time he
joined and the office told me that the magazine addressing software
was rejecting his address, which was confirmed as good (in residence
for ten years). I gather they can override such a reject as he
started receiving his copies after that. I also gave her the SSA
State Governor's phone so she can check and see if the problem is more
local.

That being said, in July, the statement to one of my customers was
returned as undeliverable. Their address shows up fine on such sites
as whitepages.com. I took it to the main post office and talked to
the carrier supervisor. He put it back in the system and I get it
back eight days later. Worked fine until there was a new carrier on
the route. They get their other mail okay. Go figure.

Frank Whiteley

Old August 6th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J a c k

Rhonda wrote:
Does anyone else have trouble getting their magazine from the SSA? I
have called several times and they say I am in the database, but each
month, I either have to call and have them send one to me, or I don't
get one. Has anyone else had this problem? And how did you resolve it?

Delivery is erratic and physical condition is often far less than
pristine. Strangely enough, another family member's TV Guide comes
through on-time and without a mark on it.

Jack
Old August 6th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Never a problem in 20+ years and 4 addresses.

Jack Womack

Old August 6th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattdahoov

On Aug 6, 1:38 pm, Jack wrote:
Never a problem in 20+ years and 4 addresses.

Jack Womack

I have had no problems either. 10+ years and 7 addresses.

Old August 7th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rhonda

Thanks for your input and advice everyone. After finding out that is
was most likely not a widespread issue, but only specific to my
membership, I talked to the SSA again yesterday and they called me
back today with the fix. It seems that the coding was correct for an
individual member, but not for a business member -- all taken care of
now!

SSA August Soaring Magazine Udo Rumpf Soaring 6 September 2nd 04 02:31 PM
Soaring magazine JJ Sinclair Soaring 24 November 14th 03 03:24 PM
SSA Soaring Magazine Mel Eastburn Soaring 0 September 29th 03 12:03 PM
Aug. Soaring Magazine (USA) Nolaminar Soaring 6 August 2nd 03 01:54 AM
"Soaring" magazine on CD-ROM like EAA Burt Compton Soaring 5 July 12th 03 10:20 PM