Cirrus Lands via Parachute in Nantucket

Old August 20th 07, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

Default Cirrus Lands via Parachute in Nantucket

("Ron Wanttaja" wrote)
Every time Cirrus BRS deployments come up, I'm reminded of the
anti-parachute arguments during WWI.

John O says the funniest post (of all time!) was the "bailing out" of a Link
Trainer, which was on fire and in an uncontrolled spin, story.

Was that your adventure?

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/i...000/k05796.jpg

http://www.starksravings.com/linktra...inktrainer.htm

Paul-Mont

Old August 20th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Every time someone uses the chute on a Cirrus, we get people second
guessing
the decision.

Every decision everyone makes is a candidate for being second guessed.

Instead of "second guessed", I'd rather use the word "analyzed". Such is how
we refine our learning.

I hope no one is saying pilot decisions are not open for discussion or
debate.

And for criticism or even derision if so warranted, or praise if so
warranted.

Having a chute is not an excuse for careless or reckless bahavior, just as
seatbelts and airbags are not an excuse for using brickwalls to stop in lieu
of keeping your brakes maintained.

Old August 20th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

Fog setting in is often an area phenomenon. It's not
like flying into a puffy cumulous on a summer day.

And it can happen fast...damn fast...when temperature and dew point
merge for any reason.

I will never forget the time it happened to me. It took less than
five minutes to happen, a sudden ground fog that seemed to obscure the
entire area. I was a solo student...in a glider.

A previous post indicates that the airport (reportedly) went IFR half an
hour earlier.

Old August 20th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Ron Wanttaja wrote:

I've been taking BFRs since they were instituted, and don't believe I've been
put under the hood more than once or twice since my original Private flight
test. And *that* was ~35 years ago.

ah HA. A downside of having the instrument rating. I've been put under the
hood each and every time I've had a BFR since I got my rating in 1990.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 20th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Ron Natalie wrote in news:46c87147$0$23480
:

Fog setting in is often an area phenomenon. It's not
like flying into a puffy cumulous on a summer day.

Does fog simply appear around a plane out of nowhere, and the pilot would not
have seen it coming before he flew into it?

I have never experienced that phenomenon...
Old August 20th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:13:32 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Ron Wanttaja" wrote)
Every time Cirrus BRS deployments come up, I'm reminded of the
anti-parachute arguments during WWI.

John O says the funniest post (of all time!) was the "bailing out" of a Link
Trainer, which was on fire and in an uncontrolled spin, story.

Was that your adventure?

Yup. Back when I was a CAP cadet, we resurrected an old Link C-3 from the scrap
heap and got it going again. I was working on it alone late one night, getting
the rudder pedals rigged properly. I "took it up" and decided to put it into a
right spin.

Then, I started smelling smoke. I lifted the canopy slightly, cracked the door,
and looked out. As the cabin spun around the base, I saw smoke gushing from the
main electrical control panel in the base of the Link. I stomped on the left
rudder pedal to stop the spin...and the nail I'd used to connect the pedal to
the linkage popped out.

So there I was, spinning down...well, SPINNING at least...to my flaming doom.

I did what any self-respecting aviator would do. I threw open the canopy,
pushed open the door, stood on the step, waited until the Link spun to face a
relatively clear space of floor, and bailed out.

A quick PLF, then I cut the power and starting hosing the thing down with a CO2
fire extinguisher.

The old WWII model link trainers were absolute marvels. They were analog
computers in vacuum rather than electronics. There was a sealed tank up forward
that got air sucked out as the plane climbed, and the aircraft altimeter was
merely plumbed into. One manifold "stored" the airspeed, which depended upon a
valve set by a throttle, another controlled by the pitch attitude, etc.

Ron Wanttaja
Old August 20th 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

Every time someone uses the chute on a Cirrus, we get people second
guessing
the decision.

Every decision everyone makes is a candidate for being second guessed.

Instead of "second guessed", I'd rather use the word "analyzed". Such is how
we refine our learning.

yes. good point.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Customs at KACK (Nantucket)? [email protected] Piloting 4 July 9th 06 05:42 PM
Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket Paul Owning 9 February 20th 06 10:39 PM
N1 lands in BED: Bush Piloting 50 February 17th 06 08:16 AM
Ack and Back-Plane Headed To Nantucket Missing: Bushleague Piloting 5 December 5th 05 01:22 PM
Nantucket airport John S Piloting 7 November 4th 04 07:32 PM