Hawk Wind

Old April 27th 21, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hawk Wind

Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?
Old April 27th 21, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 20:27:19 UTC+3, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.
Old April 28th 21, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.

Priceless!
Old April 28th 21, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 7:01:34 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.
Priceless!

to read installation manual = admitting defeat?

Asking for a friend

Sean
Old April 28th 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/27/2021 1:08 PM, krasw wrote:
On Tuesday, 27 April 2021 at 20:27:19 UTC+3, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

Installation challenge = can not bother to read installation manual.

It is a funny remark, but doesn't apply in this case.

Have you read the Butterfly installation manual? I have read it, I have
installed a Butterfly vario, and it was a challenge, even though I worked as an
electrical engineer for decades. It's not like the olden days, when a vario had
two wires for the battery, and one pressure port for the TE tubing.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
Old April 29th 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

On Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 11:54:08 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Take a look at the LXNAV user group:
LXNav Soaring Glider Equipment User Discussion Group

They have been chatting on this for a while.
Old April 29th 21, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 28 April 2021 at 18:54:08 UTC+3, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Have you read the Butterfly installation manual? I have read it, I have
installed a Butterfly vario, and it was a challenge, even though I worked as an
electrical engineer for decades. It's not like the olden days, when a vario had
two wires for the battery, and one pressure port for the TE tubing.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Yes I have, and I have installed that variometer to two different gliders. Both cases required fabrication of shelf for ISU to install it far away from magnetic disturbances, as warned in the manual. It worked and works beautifully in both cases.

I have heard few anecdotes of pilots complaining that vario not working. In one case I checked the installation (it was during WGC). The ISU was just thrown behind the panel with absolutely no flying f*cks given to proper installation. That pilot went on to bash it for three weeks.

Hope the LX installs itself.
Old April 29th 21, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.

Old April 30th 21, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 3:15:36 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

The LXNAV LX8xxx and LX9xxx have all of the inertial sensors (accelerometers and rate gyros) in the unit. You can purchase the artificial horizon AHRS option as a (somewhat expensive) software key:
https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/stor...av-ahrs-enable

Tom
Old April 30th 21, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/29/2021 3:15 PM, jfitch wrote:
It does not sound like an inertial solution, but rather a more sophisticated pneumatic and magnetic calculation. It will be interesting to compare it to a Butterfly. In their paper, they erroneously claim that no instant wind calculation method existed before theirs - marketing I guess.
On Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:27:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Has anyone any experience yet with the new Lxnav Hawk Wind program? Sounds superficially to me like it might be an alternative to the Butterfly wind solution which is no longer readily available. And this program seems to avoid some of the Butterfly installation challenges?

I don't think it uses magnetic sensing, as it does not require the optional
compass. So, it's all inertial and GPS, and I think doing it without a compass
was an important goal. 990eur for wind equal to the Butterfly, and a AHRS, is at
reasonable price for me. A separate AHRS is in the $800-$1000 range, so I'd bet
getting the Hawk features for about $200-$400 dollars with the Hawk/AHRS.