R in a Circle (Airport Surveillance Radar) on VFR charts

Old April 26th 04, 04:53 AM
Jeff Saylor

Default R in a Circle (Airport Surveillance Radar) on VFR charts

The R in a circle symbol next to an airport on Sectionals nindicates
that this airport has Airport Surveillance Radar. But what does this
really indicate to the VFR pilot?

At Reading, Pennsylvania (KRDG) there is such a symbol. This (Class D
Airspace) airport has its own Approach control (shared position in the
tower, actually). Unfortunately at no place on the Sectional is a
frequency for approach given, even on the tables next to the chart.

At Nantucket, Mass. (KACK) there is such a symbol. This (Class D
Airspace) airport does not have approach control. Radar services are
provided by Cape Approach during the day and Boston Center during the
night. (Active times are not given, but there are boxes on the map
itself that indicate what frequency to use for Cape Approach).

Stewart Intl, NY (KSWF) also has such a symbol. Radar services are
provided by New York TRACON.
(all of these airports are on the NY Sectional).

So what does this symbol really mean? At one airport where it is used,
the airport has a hidden-from-the-chart approach frequency. (The
frequency is of course available in the Airport/Facility Directory and
IIRC via ATIS among other places). At other airports, radar services
are provided by facilities that also provide service to many other
airports (without the R symbol.)

The only thing that I can think of is that it indicates there is a radar
(ASR) antenna on the field for a class D facility. Then again, Class D
airspace airport KMDT (Harrisburg Int'l) has such an antenna (atop the
hill nearby), but no such R in a circle icon on the sectional. It does
however had a surrounding TRSA with a TRACON, so perhaps that is why no
R in a circle is necessary.

Old April 26th 04, 02:57 PM
Richard Russell

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:53:21 -0400, Jeff Saylor
wrote:

The R in a circle symbol next to an airport on Sectionals nindicates
that this airport has Airport Surveillance Radar. But what does this
really indicate to the VFR pilot?

At Reading, Pennsylvania (KRDG) there is such a symbol. This (Class D
Airspace) airport has its own Approach control (shared position in the
tower, actually). Unfortunately at no place on the Sectional is a
frequency for approach given, even on the tables next to the chart.

snipped...

I'm familiar with Reading and their little "R", which caused me a
little confusion when I was learning how to fly. To me, the "R" means
that they (in all likelihood) have their own approach control and you
need to track down the frequency. Like a TRSA, it is voluntary but
certainly adviseable to be talking to these folks. If I encounter an
"R" or a TRSA, I treat them the same as I would a Class C.

By the way, when I first noticed the "R" at Reading I had one hell of
a time finding someone to explain it to me. Ultimately had to figure
it out on my own.

Rich Russell

Old April 26th 04, 02:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jeff Saylor" wrote in message

[...]

The blue R in a circle symbol is used to indicate the presence of ASR where
there is no other indication. It would be superfluous at the core airports
in Class B and C airspace and TRSAs. It doesn't matter where the approach
control facility is located.

Old April 26th 04, 03:05 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Richard Russell" wrote in message

I'm familiar with Reading and their little "R", which caused me a
little confusion when I was learning how to fly. To me, the "R" means
that they (in all likelihood) have their own approach control and you
need to track down the frequency. Like a TRSA, it is voluntary but
certainly adviseable to be talking to these folks. If I encounter an
"R" or a TRSA, I treat them the same as I would a Class C.

By the way, when I first noticed the "R" at Reading I had one hell of
a time finding someone to explain it to me. Ultimately had to figure
it out on my own.

The R in a circle symbol indicates ASR is on the field, it's used
at airports when no other indication of the presence of radar exists, such
as Class B or C airspace or a TRSA. In the Airport Data block there should
also be an ATIS frequency or a "VFR Advsy" frequency, (more likely ATIS).
At fields with ATIS the recording should have the frequency for traffic
advisories, at fields without ATIS the VFR Advsy frequency will be in the
data block.

Old April 26th 04, 03:43 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jeff Saylor wrote:

The R in a circle symbol next to an airport on Sectionals nindicates
that this airport has Airport Surveillance Radar.

No, it doesn't. It indicates a private airport. The one you mention near Stewart is
named "Middle Hope".

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 26th 04, 03:51 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

No, it doesn't. It indicates a private airport. The one you mention
near Stewart is named "Middle Hope".

I believe he's referring to the R inside the small blue circle next to the
airport name, not the magenta R inside the airport symbol.

Old April 26th 04, 03:54 PM
Bill Denton

No, that's a different symbol...

Look on your sectional legend under Airport Data. It shows a solid circle
with a white "R" next to the airport name indicating "Airport Surveillance
Radar".

I made the same mistake when I first started checking this out on a
Sectional...

Old April 26th 04, 04:17 PM
Bill Denton

Follow on:

I did a quick scan of the Chicago Sectional, and the only one I found was
Waterloo (ALO).

Old April 27th 04, 10:12 PM
Teacherjh

The R in a circle symbol indicates ASR is on the field, it's used
at airports when no other indication of the presence of radar exists, such
as Class B or C airspace or a TRSA.

Which raises another question. What is in a TRSA that isn't anywhere else? I
know a TRSA is sort of a stillborn class C, and (from the name) you can get
"radar services".

So, which ones?

Is it the case that you can get the same (radar) services in a TRSA that you
can get in class B or C airspace, or the airports with the circle R (that isn't
the one meaning "restricted/private airport"), and it's just that because of
traffic volume or the thought it would become a class C that the airspace was
carved into sectors?

And what services can you not get outside the sectors that you can get inside
them?

Jose