List Of State laws Concerning Landing On Public Roads?

Old December 9th 04, 04:28 PM
NW_PILOT

Default List Of State laws Concerning Landing On Public Roads?

Ok, this may sound like an odd question but here it goes is there a list of
State laws Concerning Landing On Public Roads?

The only one i have found is for Montana:

The following is taken directly from the Montana Code; MCA 67-1-204 (3)
Lawfulness of Flight and Landings:

Aircraft landings and takeoffs from public roads in this state are lawful if
proper safety precautions, as approved by the governing jurisdiction of the
roads, are taken prior to the landing or takeoff, except as otherwise
provided in this section. However, the local governing jurisdiction may not
incur liability as a result of an approval under this subsection.

Old December 9th 04, 05:59 PM
Robert M. Gary

In California they'd probably get you for not passing a SMOG test
first.

-Robert

Old December 9th 04, 06:23 PM
Matthew Walster

In the UK, it's only legal to land on a road at night, in an emergency, and
if there is absolutely no alternative that would end in the same or better
result... I'm suprised the US isn't the same...

Matthew Walster

news

Old December 9th 04, 06:42 PM
Mark Hansen

On 12/9/2004 09:23, Matthew Walster wrote:

In the UK, it's only legal to land on a road at night, in an emergency, and
if there is absolutely no alternative that would end in the same or better
result... I'm suprised the US isn't the same...

I don't have my book here at the moment, so I can't quote the
specific FARs, but I think they say you must have permission
before landing. Because all land is owned by someone (generally)
you cannot land anywhere without permission.

In an emergency, you can do whatever you deem necessary for the
safety of the flight and people/property. There is a specific
"catch-all" regulation which states that you cannot operate
the airplane at an altitude such that you cannot make a safe
landing in the event of a power failure.

If you're flying over an area that doesn't include suitable
landing sites, you need to be at an altitude that will allow you
to glide to a suitable landing site (such that a landing would not
cause undo damage to property, etc.) in the event of a power
failure.
Old December 9th 04, 07:26 PM
Robert M. Gary

I don't know of such a FAR. I think its just the general private
property thing at the state level (once the plane touches the ground,
its subject to local laws). However, the FARs do define an airport as
"the place of intended landing".

-Robert, CFI

Old December 9th 04, 08:35 PM

I don't have my book here at the moment, so I can't quote the
specific FARs, but I think they say you must have permission
before landing. Because all land is owned by someone (generally)
you cannot land anywhere without permission.

There is no such FAR. As far as the feds are concerned, they don't
care where you land (as long as it's a safe place to land).
John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 9th 04, 11:03 PM
Dave Stadt

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 12/9/2004 09:23, Matthew Walster wrote:

In the UK, it's only legal to land on a road at night, in an emergency,

and
if there is absolutely no alternative that would end in the same or

better
result... I'm suprised the US isn't the same...

I don't have my book here at the moment, so I can't quote the
specific FARs, but I think they say you must have permission
before landing.

There is no such FAR. The FARs don't care where you land nor do they
mention anything about permission.

Old December 10th 04, 12:27 AM
C J Campbell

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
In California they'd probably get you for not passing a SMOG test
first.

Actually, there was a guy I knew in Borrego Springs who made a habit of
landing his Lancair on the road and taxiing to his house, but the sheriff
finally ticketed him for operating a vehicle on public roads without tail
lights and license.

Old December 10th 04, 12:32 AM
C J Campbell

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
news
Ok, this may sound like an odd question but here it goes is there a list

of
State laws Concerning Landing On Public Roads?

Basically, you are permitted to land anywhere you want unless it is
prohibited. It is not just Federal and state laws; there are many local laws
restricting where you can land an airplane.

The Seaplane Pilots Association maintains a list of areas where seaplanes
are prohibited, but I know of no such list of places where landings on roads
are prohibited.

Old December 10th 04, 01:33 AM
Newps

And remember, you may never legally land on a US Highway or Interstate
in any state. Here in Montana you don't need to contact anybody in
advance of your landing although that's never a bad thing to do.