Canopy tinting

Old April 20th 20, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

Default Canopy tinting

Question: Is it possible to tint a canopy like a car, for example, using automotive window tinting material? I know some canopies are tinted a bluish color, but what about a dark black tint?

Thanks,
Old April 20th 20, 07:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 8:49:26 PM UTC-7, Paul wrote:
Question: Is it possible to tint a canopy like a car, for example, using automotive window tinting material? I know some canopies are tinted a bluish color, but what about a dark black tint?

Thanks,

Paul,

When I first bought a Stemme, I put one of those electrostatic cling, dark plastic tint panels above my head. Then rolled it out into the sun. When I compared the temperature differential between tinted area and clear. The delta was rising rapidly. I removed the tint, figuring it wasn't worth the risk of having a stress cracked canopy.
Old April 20th 20, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Behm

I think Mark Mocho has a dark tinted canopy.

R,
Chris
Old April 20th 20, 10:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 5:49:26 AM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
Question: Is it possible to tint a canopy like a car, for example, using automotive window tinting material? I know some canopies are tinted a bluish color, but what about a dark black tint?

Thanks,

It's poorly advertised but Mecaplex offers an IR-blocking tint which I've ordered after some hassle.
As a fraction of light blocked:
Colour / Visible / IR
Standard grey / 76% / 74%
IR blocking grey / 77% / 47%
Blue / 78% / 78%

Sunlight is about 45/55 visible/IR(?), so my napkin math suggests assuming 1000W/sqm:

(450 * 0.76) + (550 * 0.74) = 749W
(450 * 0.77) + (550 * 0.47) = 605W
- ~25% cooler than typical tinted for no loss in visibility.

I don't know what fraction of either is blocked by an untinted canopy in comparison? Approximately 0% or more?
Old April 20th 20, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes, I have a dark tinted canopy. I believe it came from Thermotec (Roy Poquette, now deceased). It is noticeably cooler on a hot summer day (~10-15 degrees F). But it is way colder on a freezing day. As a result, I don't fly winter wave as much as I used to.

As far as adding the plastic film to a plastic canopy, you better do some experimentation on something other than your expensive canopy. Most tinting shops use a heat gun to activate the adhesive and make the flat film conform to contours. Car windows generally have a relatively gentle curvature, well within the capability of the film to stretch or shrink. I don't think the film would do too well on the pronounced compound curves of a canopy, and the heat necessary will probably deform the acrylic. And then you will have to buy a new canopy. Not to worry- you can get the new one tinted.

There is one aircraft (T-34 Mentor) here at Moriarty with a canopy that had the film applied, but there are a number of seams where the film had to be cut and overlapped. It looks pretty good, but the seams are pretty obvious.. Fortunately, the T-34 canopy panels do not have as much curvature as a sailplane canopy, so there aren't too many and most are unobtrusive to the pilot's sightline.
Old April 20th 20, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There are also spray-on tint products, but I don't think they are a good idea either. They are designed to be sprayed on glass, and the formulation and spray propellants in the can might damage the acrylic canopy. I watched a couple of videos on YouTube, and none of the testers were particularly impressed. About the highest recommendation was, "Well, I don't absolutely HATE it, but..."
Old April 20th 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Even the lighter grey and blue tints are too dark and can cause significant heat build up. I tried some at Hobbs a few years ago because my canopy is clear. Took it off right away. If you search the Soaring Archives, I believe Guy Byars wrote and article 20 years or so ago about using an orange tint to help block UV and heat.
Old April 20th 20, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I replaced my ventus canopy I enquired about two things UV blockage and tint. They, the factory, answered both tinted and untinted are formulated to block 95% UV just a little less 99% that is glass. So I opted for the untinted for the reasons stated in previous posts.

CH
Old April 20th 20, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

My thoughts....FWIW.,,.plastic canopy....tinting.....most solutions are for glass surface.,..we're dealing with plastic....
For the cost of a new canopy (parts and labor plus downtime and shipping both ways)......buy tinted or deal with it....
If dumping a ship soon...."buyer beware"....
Otherwise....(guessing on my part)...,,run away fast....
My $0.02..,,
Old April 20th 20, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul[_11_]

On Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 11:49:26 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
Question: Is it possible to tint a canopy like a car, for example, using automotive window tinting material? I know some canopies are tinted a bluish color, but what about a dark black tint?

Thanks,

Than you all for your answers, that clears my question. Much appreciated!

Canopy Ejection and Canopy Lanyard Casey[_2_] Soaring 6 April 12th 16 05:09 PM
1-35 Canopy [email protected] Soaring 14 April 30th 08 06:18 PM
Canopy tinting service Udo Soaring 18 December 23rd 06 01:05 AM
CANOPY TINTING Gordon Schubert Soaring 4 February 4th 05 09:35 PM
SGS 2-32 canopy? Gary Boggs Soaring 0 January 6th 04 11:21 PM