How high are fireworks?

Old July 5th 05, 04:52 AM
Reid & Julie Baldwin

Default How high are fireworks?

As I watched some amateur fireworks displays this weekend, I thought about
what they would look like from the air. Before I fly in the vicinity of a
fireworks display, however, it would be nice to know how high those flaming
projectiles go.

Old July 5th 05, 05:02 AM
Peter Duniho

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=gr...ting+fireworks

Old July 5th 05, 05:04 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Couple of hundred feet high is my guess. I have seen fireworks from the
air, and they are a dull event. They look like sparkles on the ground.
Don't waste your time. Fireworks are best viewed from the ground.

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" wrote in
:

Old July 5th 05, 05:13 AM
Jose

Fireworks go up to 1500 feet in the air. The littler ones go a few
hundred feet up, but the big displays can send an occasional one up a
thousand feet. The burst from the bigger ones is several hundred feet
across (thus my statement that you are unlikely to find anything above
1500). I flew over the Macy's display some (koff) years back and was
above them (but not by much) while below the class B.

They are indeed more specatcular from the ground, up close. However,
they are interesting from the air inasmuch as the aircraft's motion
changes the perspective on the burst as it is exploding, which is a neat
effect and worth flying to see. It's also fun to see the displays all
over the land as you are flying around.

Jose
--
You may not get what you pay for, but you sure as hell pay for what you get.
Old July 5th 05, 05:25 AM
Morgans

"Jose" wrote

changes the perspective on the burst as it is exploding, which is a neat
effect and worth flying to see. It's also fun to see the displays all
over the land as you are flying around.

Second that. I was flying commercial on a seriously clear 4th, a few years
back. On approach, it was amazing, how many places were sending up
displays, big ones. Really spectacular.

I was so close on the ground this year, that I had ashes, and occasionally
big pieces of cardboard raining down on me. There was also a brick wall
about 20 feet from me, and the echoes really increased the strength of the
concussion.

That would be lost, in the air. I'll stay on the ground, if given the
choice.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 5th 05, 05:48 AM
n93332

You're right!

Seems like each year a friend tries to talk me into taking them up to see
the fireworks from the air. I tell them it just isn't worth it. The view
from the air with all the ground clutter lights is less than spectacular.
Also, don't get to hear the fireworks, the booms just aren't loud enough to
be heard well over the engine (unless you get too close!). Much better
enjoyment from the ground with a beer in hand.

. ..

Old July 5th 05, 07:09 AM
Robert M. Gary

Jose wrote:
Fireworks go up to 1500 feet in the air.

I guess some may go that high. Most large shows go about 500 feet.

-Robert

Old July 5th 05, 12:50 PM
Peter R.

Jose wrote:

Fireworks go up to 1500 feet in the air.

If they routinely went that high, wouldn't there be NOTAMs across the
country mentioning the times and location of various shows? It seems to me
that 1,500 ft AGL is definitely a hazard to aircraft.

My thoughts while watching a mid-sized show from the ground last night was
that none got about 500 feet.

--
Peter

Old July 5th 05, 04:07 PM
Blueskies

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" wrote in message ...
As I watched some amateur fireworks displays this weekend, I thought about what they would look like from the air.
Before I fly in the vicinity of a fireworks display, however, it would be nice to know how high those flaming
projectiles go.

The amateur stuff pops at 100' or so. They had a really big maybe 16" shell that they sent up in Boston; launched to
1200' then burst. Most pop by 500' or so...

Old July 5th 05, 04:16 PM
Gene Seibel

There is also a more three dimensional effect when viewing from the
air.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

High Fright Ric Owning 1 May 16th 05 01:35 AM
Fwd: [BD4] Source of HIGH CHTs on O-320 and O-360 FOUND! Bruce A. Frank Home Built 1 July 4th 04 07:28 PM
Bill Gates assists in funding first aviation-themed public high school Larry Dighera Piloting 35 February 23rd 04 05:14 AM
MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL CONCORD, CA PHOTOS MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL PHOTOS Home Built 1 October 13th 03 03:35 AM
High Flight NOTAM Kirk Stant Military Aviation 1 September 10th 03 03:31 AM