GA headed for regulatory trouble

Old June 30th 05, 07:08 PM
Andrew Gideon

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote:

Acording to the news reports, he cancelled IFR and/or squawked VFR before
this happened.

Where have you seen this? I looked around this morning, and didn't find
anything at that level of detail.

- Andrew

Old June 30th 05, 07:10 PM
Jay Masino

Peter R. wrote:
Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:
If it was for weather, it would seem kind of odd for him to
do that. Usually an aircraft with weather issues is left in the IFR system.

Assuming the conditions allow, the pilot(s) can have much greater
flexibility to deviate around thunderstorms when VFR.

There was definitely a line of severe storms oriented east-west and moving
south through the ADIZ at around the time he busted it. I suspect he got
caught between the storm and the ADIZ boundary and clipped the edge while
avoiding the storm.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old June 30th 05, 07:12 PM
Andrew Gideon

Larry Dighera wrote:

AndÂ*ourÂ*governmentÂ*shootingÂ*downÂ*innocentÂ*ci tizensÂ*forÂ*no
crime is tyranny if the first degree.

As awful as that would be, it might wake up the sheep.

- Andrew

Old June 30th 05, 07:41 PM
Skylune

Excellent post. I generally agree that monied lobbies (such as the AOPA)
generally win out over loosely (or non-) organized citizens.

However, the internet is enabling groups that are seeking to change the
FAA culture and limit GA to come together.

You are absolutely right to fear the Kelo decision. This will be another
quiver in the anti-GA arsenal, especially for publicly owned GA airports
that pay no taxes. The strings on the FAA grants will make it a
difficult, but interesting battle. I expect local groups to begin eminent
domain proceedings against private and public GA airports.

Old June 30th 05, 07:56 PM
NVArt

I will be the judge of whom I choose for representation. You, sir,
impress me as an arrogant troll.

Old June 30th 05, 07:57 PM
Skylune

You can get YOUR reality check by looking at the OSHA statistics of the
most dangerous occupations. Pilots and flight engineers came in third,
behind loggers and commercial fishermen. And we know that the amateur
pilots crash more often. As they say, you can look it up...

Hey, if not for the noise and taxpayer subsidies, I could really care
less. And I'm not worried about a small plane crashing into my house or
business. No more than I won't swim in the ocean for fear of sharks. But
do you really think that if a family gets killed, or a school or business
gets hit, that won't generate calls for better regulation??

Cavalier attitudes (and simple name-calling) such as yours are our allies.
So thank you.

Old June 30th 05, 08:42 PM
George Patterson

Skylune wrote:
You can get YOUR reality check by looking at the OSHA statistics of the
most dangerous occupations. Pilots and flight engineers came in third,
behind loggers and commercial fishermen. And we know that the amateur
pilots crash more often. As they say, you can look it up...

Crashes actually have little to do with it. According to USA Today, the high
casualty rate in professional pilots is due to diseases associated with the high
level of stress that comes with the job. Amateur pilots are not exposed to this.

George Patterson
Why do men's hearts beat faster, knees get weak, throats become dry,
and they think irrationally when a woman wears leather clothing?
Because she smells like a new truck.
Old June 30th 05, 08:43 PM
George Patterson

Andrew Gideon wrote:

And our government shooting down innocent citizens for no
crime is tyranny if the first degree.

As awful as that would be, it might wake up the sheep.

Did Waco or Ruby Ridge "wake the sheep?"

Old June 30th 05, 09:17 PM
Gary Drescher

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Skylune wrote:
You can get YOUR reality check by looking at the OSHA statistics of the
most dangerous occupations. Pilots and flight engineers came in third,
behind loggers and commercial fishermen. And we know that the amateur
pilots crash more often. As they say, you can look it up...

Crashes actually have little to do with it. According to USA Today, the
high casualty rate in professional pilots is due to diseases associated
with the high level of stress that comes with the job.

Huh? The BLS Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries lists "aircraft pilots
and flight engineers" as having the third-highest rate of "fatal WORK INJURY
rates" (http://stats.bls.gov/news.release/cfoi.nr0.htm). (The BLS tracks
occupational *illnesses* in a separate set of statistics.) So if USA Today
claimed otherwise (do you have a reference, please?) then they must not have
read the most basic information available on the subject.

--Gary

Four States and the Grand Canyon Mary Daniel or David Grah Soaring 6 December 6th 04 10:36 AM
Avionic trouble Henning DE Home Built 1 September 10th 04 10:23 PM
The Trouble With E-Ballots WalterM140 Military Aviation 0 June 26th 04 09:46 PM
A little engine trouble Peter Duniho Piloting 29 June 17th 04 07:29 PM
is anyone else having trouble getting messages downloaded? Gilan Home Built 1 August 22nd 03 01:49 AM