Google Earth Heathrow 9L approach

Old April 15th 06, 06:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Google Earth Heathrow 9L approach

LOL,
one about to touch down , one on short final right behind it , and TWO on
the ground on the runway ,
I guess they're really busy.

Old April 15th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
Speaking of looking around, I was doing just that, and at an airport
somewhat near London, came upon a big delta wing airplane, military,
obviously. What is that?

Got a lat/long?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...
Old April 15th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
Speaking of looking around, I was doing just that, and at an airport
somewhat near London, came upon a big delta wing airplane, military,
obviously. What is that?

Got a lat/long?

No, sorry. Go to Southend Airport, near London and look around. You can't
miss it.

Well, at least this time you gave an airport name rather than "an airport
somewhat near London" which narrowed it down to about 40.

BTW: If you haven't already discovered this, there are Google Earth
Community layers you can turn on that give you markers pointing out
aircraft in the air and on the ground and all sorts of other nifty
features. One of those community marks points out a Vulcan bomber at
Southend, or rather at RAF Rochford, which appears to be the same place.

If you go to http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea.../Number/219773
and click on the "Placemark" it will take you right there.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Integration by parts -- a very powerful technique."
Old April 15th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Morgans" said:
Speaking of looking around, I was doing just that, and at an airport
somewhat near London, came upon a big delta wing airplane, military,
obviously. What is that?

Got a lat/long?

No, sorry. Go to Southend Airport, near London and look around. You
can't miss it.

Its at Lat: 51:34:16N Lon: 0:42:16E

That is an AVRO Vulcan, a bomber that was part of the V bomber force that
carried the UK atomic bombs before the nuclear weaponry went into
submarines.

The Vulcan was the last of the line behind the Valiant and the Victor.

The only time the Vulcan got to drop any bombs in anger was during the war
with Argentina and they bombed Port Stanley.

You will also find another one parked at an airfield called Wellesbourne at
Lat: 52:11:40N Lon: 1:37:02W

Old April 15th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

BTW: If you haven't already discovered this, there are Google Earth
Community layers you can turn on that give you markers pointing out
aircraft in the air and on the ground and all sorts of other nifty
features. One of those community marks points out a Vulcan bomber at
Southend, or rather at RAF Rochford, which appears to be the same place.

If you go to http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthrea.../Number/219773
and click on the "Placemark" it will take you right there.

I didn't know you could start the program to go to a specific placemark. As
a matter of fact, I did figure out how to placemark the Vulcan bomber, but
did not post the placemark, like you did.

So Vulcan it is. I should have known that1 ;-(
--
Jim in NC

Old April 15th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Chris" wrote

The only time the Vulcan got to drop any bombs in anger was during the war
with Argentina and they bombed Port Stanley.

You will also find another one parked at an airfield called Wellesbourne
at
Lat: 52:11:40N Lon: 1:37:02W

It sure does seem like there are a lot of airports around London. I was
surprised to see that.

Some of them are obviously old WWII bases, with the typical "triangle"
runway layout.

I did notice that most of the airports have no or few single engine AC
outside. Either that means they aren't around, or they are all inside. I
wonder which it is.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 16th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"donzaemon" wrote:

LOL,
one about to touch down , one on short final right behind it , and TWO on
the ground on the runway ,
I guess they're really busy.

Oh... that's called Oshkosh Rules.
Old April 16th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

BTW: If you haven't already discovered this, there are Google Earth
Community layers you can turn on that give you markers pointing out
aircraft in the air and on the ground and all sorts of other nifty
features. One of those community marks points out a Vulcan bomber at
Southend, or rather at RAF Rochford, which appears to be the same place.

There is also an AVRO Lancaster flying somewhere over the countryside.