Boycot Fuel Week!!

Old April 11th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Boycot Fuel Week!!

Matt W. Barrow wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I have neighbors who maneuver the mini-van to the mailbox, to avoid a 60
foot walk. G

"Suicide Squad...ATTACK!!"

None needed!

We recently had a local woman fall out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee while
"mailbox manuvering". She got stuck in the seatbelt and was dragged
and run over by her own vehicle as it rolled down the sloped street.
Old April 12th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. ..
Matt W. Barrow wrote:
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

I have neighbors who maneuver the mini-van to the mailbox, to avoid a 60
foot walk. G

"Suicide Squad...ATTACK!!"

None needed!

We recently had a local woman fall out of a Jeep Grand Cherokee while
"mailbox manuvering". She got stuck in the seatbelt and was dragged and
run over by her own vehicle as it rolled down the sloped street.

Darwin at work!!

Old April 12th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:59:52 -0700, "Matt W. Barrow"
wrote:

Darwin at work!!

Darn tootin'!
Old April 12th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

Unless you live in the Soviet State Of Washington! Even the adults have to
ware helmets on Bicycles or anything with wheels.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Robert M. Gary wrote:
So gas up your cars (in fact buy some extra) before hand so you dont'
run out. Then afterwards take your boat, train, planes down to the
station and fill them up. Yep, you may be right; buying 2 weeks of gas
on week 1 vs buying gas on week 1 and 2 will certainly show them.

That's the rub. You are soooooo correct!

Of course, if everyone parked the car for every trip that could truthfully
be done by foot, bicycle, or mass-transit, so there wasn't any pre or post
stocking up... Personally, I enjoy cycling to work and local errands.

Old April 12th 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:55:20 -0700, "NW_Pilot"
wrote:

Unless you live in the Soviet State Of Washington! Even the adults have to
ware helmets on Bicycles or anything with wheels.

I'm 42, and have cracked helmets to remind me why I wear I wear a
helmet when riding on the road or mountain biking. There is no law
requiring me to wear a helmet where I live. I have no illusion that
the plastic take-out container on my hear will save me from certain
death, but I do see mitigation of many typical injuries.

I'll admit:

A.) Helmets are silly when traveling at walking speed along the scenic
"rail trail" path. However, it is much easier to get a kid to wear a
helmet if the adults do the same.

B.) It sucks when such things are legislated. Even though I choose to
wear a helmet, I think it should remain the rider's choice.

I also wear a helmet and shield while playing hockey, and eye and ear
protection while woodworking, 'cause all the stuff works as
advertised.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Old April 12th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

NW_Pilot wrote:
Unless you live in the Soviet State Of Washington! Even the adults have to
ware helmets on Bicycles or anything with wheels.

I dislike the legislation of helmets. So is my wife, a physican who has
spent too much time working in the ER. However, her take on it is that the
laws should be something like:

1) if you choose to ride without a helmet, you are required to have a
signed organ donor card in your wallet.
2) arriving in the ER after a serious accident that would have been
mitigated by a helmet results in an automatic "Do Not Resuscitate"
physician order.

Government should not make laws preventing you from being stupid. However,
society shouldn't have pay for the results of your stupidity.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old April 12th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lawson

And it doesn't occur to you that the law YOU want gov't to pass is far more
restrictive and punituive than anything else they have ever proposed. YOU
are advocating gov't sponsored MURDER (lack of life saving medical treatment
readily available) for the simple act of not acting wisely. If it comes to
that I'd rather have complete anarchy thank you very much. You have to
understand that FREEDOM (we have very little) means the freedom to be stupid
and thoughtless, any consequences should be those imposed by the people who
you encounter and affect exercising their own freedoms, not penalties
imposed by the state, even if you happen to agree with them.

MY freedom is my ability to disagree with your stupid and self absorbed
point of view, and your freedom is to disagree with mine. What you are
proposing is to allow the state to decide who lives and who dies, frankly
I've never met a bureaucrat I would trust with that choice.

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
NW_Pilot

Old April 12th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lawson

The idea of a boycott is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read, unless
you can maintain a complete and effective embargo for a full six months and
even then it would have only a short term effect. There is a way to reduce
fuel prices, both on a personal and national level. STOP USING SO MUCH FUEL!
Drive less, use and choose vehicles that are more efficient. I'm betting you
won't! And so are the fuel companies. We're greedy and unwilling to give or
sacrifice, that costs. We're addicted, and the oil companies are just big,
legal dealers to our addictions. Can you get yourself off their product? I
bet you won't even try.

We've been conditioned all our lives to consume, endlessly and needlessly.
Most of us can't even devine the difference between desire and need. If we
ever figure it out, the whole world will change.

Have no fear, the world will not change, we will not change. The whole human
race is doomed, the rich will die second last, just ahead of the people who
can actually manage for themselves. In all honesty, I've enjoyed the
hedonistic lifestyle we've created so I hope to go out early, ahead of the
hardship. I've always managed to do OK, so I expect I'll be safely in the
ground before things get too bad.

Old April 12th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-12, Lawson wrote:
There is a way to reduce fuel prices, both on a personal and national
level. STOP USING SO MUCH FUEL! Drive less, use and choose vehicles that
are more efficient. I'm betting you won't!

I drive very little more than I need to, and I drive the most fuel efficient
vehicle that meets my mission requirements. (I get 27-30 MPG consistently
out of a small SUV.) How do you know that that's not what most folks are
doing?
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 12th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lawson

On 2008-04-12, Lawson wrote:
There is a way to reduce fuel prices, both on a personal and national
level. STOP USING SO MUCH FUEL! Drive less, use and choose vehicles that
are more efficient. I'm betting you won't!

I drive very little more than I need to, and I drive the most fuel
efficient
vehicle that meets my mission requirements. (I get 27-30 MPG consistently
out of a small SUV.) How do you know that that's not what most folks are
doing?
--

So, you're one guy who only drives his 4 wheel drive (on road I imagine)
only a LITTLE more than he figures he has to. Wasteful but OK with it

If it matters, I drive a company car, a lot. I do it because my work demands
it, in a wise society that would not be the case. But we are not a wise
society, we're the stupidest most wasteful bunch on the planet. We will
happily burn down a forest to make the lumber we've harvested more valuable.

How do I know what others are doing?? How do I know?? Jay my boy, look
around at the number of huge trucks modified with gigantic tires and othe
devices to make them burn more fuel speeding down the road with one
occupant. Look at the number of once somewhat economical cars that have been
modded to be noisier and less efficient for the sake of image trying to pas
those trucks. BTW, I'm sure all those vehicles meet their occupant's mission
statement.

IF the government was truly interested in helping, they's stop giving tax
breaks to oil companies, tax the crap out of gasoline and let it rise to
$10. Then maybe we'd use less, maybe. Addiction is a hard mistress, it leads
us to make poor choices and then justify them

If you want to save money on fuel, use less of it. The equation is easy
enough. Or just keep on doing things the same, I'm sure we'll all come up
with very good reasons after the fact.