Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

Old July 19th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:55:34 AM UTC-6, Dan Daly wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
I tried adjusting the mic sensitivity in service mode all the way up to 63, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I have the wiring harness from Wings and Wheels. How would I go about switching pin 5 with pin 18?

The mic wire on my W&W AR4201 harness was on pin 18. If you want to move it to pin 5, unsolder it from 18, move it to 5, and solder it.

Pin-outs are in the manual.

Thanks. That seems simple enough.

It raises a related question though: the mic is a dynamic un-amplified mic (Peiker TM170). If I understand things correctly, the way the harness is currently wired (pin 18) would be for a standard, not a dynamic mic. Why would they do that? The Becker mic is a dynamic mic, as is the Peiker.
Old July 19th 19, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:55:34 AM UTC-4, Dan Daly wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:45:19 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
I tried adjusting the mic sensitivity in service mode all the way up to 63, but it didn’t seem to make any difference. I have the wiring harness from Wings and Wheels. How would I go about switching pin 5 with pin 18?

The mic wire on my W&W AR4201 harness was on pin 18. If you want to move it to pin 5, unsolder it from 18, move it to 5, and solder it.

Pin-outs are in the manual.

The diagram in the manual also shows different ground pins for the two types of mics, that may or may not matter, but best to follow what it says. A dynamic mic (as you have) sends a much weaker signal than a condenser mic, and also should not have a DC voltage applied to it. That's why they have separate connections.

Depending on the type of connector, the pins may be removable (need a special tool), swapping them that way would be faster than re-soldering. Find a friend who has the relevant skills and tools.

And return the mic sensitivity setting to normal before you try transmitting again...

Enjoy the radio. My glider came with this type radio and it's been solid.
Old July 20th 19, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 10:05:25 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

I was able to get a hold of a pin tool for the wiring harness and was able to swap pin 18 for pin 5. This fixed the problem. Apparently, I ordered the wiring harness as a "standard" wiring harness and did not read the options carefully enough to select the "dynamic" wiring harness for this radio. Less than learned.
Old July 20th 19, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Another thing I wondered about was whether I would need to change the ground pin as well from 14 to 6, but it appears all is working as intended with just the change of pin 18 to pin 5. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old July 20th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:57:53 AM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Another thing I wondered about was whether I would need to change the ground pin as well from 14 to 6, but it appears all is working as intended with just the change of pin 18 to pin 5. Thanks for all the help everyone.

John,

Glad you worked things out.

Not having the schematic for the Becker 4201 (anyone have one?) I honestly don't know if the different ground pins for standard or dynamic microphone are actually directly connected together within the radio or are kept separate. But I suspect they might be separate and go to different amplification circuits. Why? To reduce noise being transmitted along with your voice. That being said you won't harm the radio by using the "wrong" ground pin.

Bottom line - If your receive audio is clean then you could leave things alone. Test your audio quality by having a friend transmit while you are listening a considerable distance away on a handheld. The distance is important because nearly any radio will sound great (little or no background noise) when in close proximity. Better yet take a test flight and ask someone "far away" how you sound.

PS - You might want to reset the dynamic mic gain setting (SF16) back to the original value.

My $0.02.

- John (OHM)

Becker AR4201 John Williams Soaring 3 August 12th 17 03:09 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 06:22 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 05:11 PM
BECKER AR4201 guts Soaring 1 April 23rd 12 08:50 PM
VHF Becker AR4201 Philippe Home Built 2 July 9th 04 08:30 PM