More trailer tire/wheel issues

Old July 18th 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default More trailer tire/wheel issues

I pulled my Cobra up the Sierras to Sparks, Nv and then blew the right tire (6” of tread separated and took the fender off too). Tire and wheel were Not even warm. Put on the spare and drove the final 20 miles. Next morning I jacked up one wheel and took 2 tires and rims in and got 6 ply trailer tires. After the contest, I pulled the trailer back down the western slope of the Sierras and pulled over to check things after about an hour of down hill towing. To my surprised both Hubs were too hot to keep my hand on them and the right hub was hot enough to steam as I poured a bottle of water on the inside wheel area. In downhill towing the surge brake stays on most of the time and is riding the trailer brakes............something we know to never do, right?
Are these two Instances related? I think so, I did the same trip last year and I’m thinking the overheating from downhill towing caused over pressure and weakened the 4 ply auto tires. The weakened tire blew after about 4 hours of driving on my way back up the hill, this year.
Your thoughts and experiences?
JJ
Old July 18th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 4:09:15 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Your over-running dampler may be too weak. https://wingsandwheels.com/cobra-overruning-damper.html for replacements

From a 2002 Cobra manual:
5.2 Overrun brake
5.2.1 All braked trailers are equipped with a Rückmatik brake system and except
the lubrication of the overrun piston and the bell crank lever additional maintenance is not required.
5.2.2 Lubricate the overrun piston every 5,000 km or once per year with multi-purpose grease (see
lubrication plan point 10.1).

Old July 18th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A year later, I'm still having the problem I've had off and on for over 20 years on my 1992 Cobra: i.e., after a moderately hard stop, the brakes occasionally jam on and stay on.

New damper strut. Disassembled and lubed the overrun tongue piston. Same for the pivot for the e-brake/hook. New brake hardware and shoes. Lubed the actuator cables. Filed out the slot in the inner tongue tube that had a very small machining discontinuity that I thought might cause the big bolt that slides in it and holds it all together to jam.

I know most owners are happy with their Al-Ko overrun brakes. But based on my experience, I'd never buy another one. I'm ready to rip out all the Al-Ko junk and go with an aftermarket axle. Apparently, if one tiny thing is wrong, you're looking at a blown tire, burned bearing, or worse. I bought a tire pressure/temp monitor last year that alerts me now when the temps start to climb but what a pain. I suspect I'll just disconnect the brake permanently.

I continue to think this is another example of European/German pilots lovingly devoting hours and hours of maintenance to their Daimlers and Cobras every year while we Americans just want to jump in our vehicles and drive 3000 miles across the country to a contest, hassle-free.

Chip Bearden
Old July 18th 19, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I checked the surge cylinder and it came on softly and released properly when pressure was released. I bought new 6 ply trailer tires recommended for 50 psi, which will help any overpressure caused by brake/tire heating. If the sealed bearings and brakes look OK, l’m considering a brake lock-out to fit when descending a long run, like Hwy 80, West of Reno.
JJ
Old July 18th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_5_]

I have a brand new Cobra and even towing short distances on relatively flat roads the hubs are too hot to touch. I can tell from my rear view camera that the surge brake is not engaged. My conclusion re the quality of this stuff is the same as Chip's (i.e., POS). Has anybody tried the Dexter electric with the parking brake feature? Unfortunately I have to have a PB otherwise I'd be switching ASAP. Clay
Old July 19th 19, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:58:23 PM UTC-7, Clay wrote:
I have a brand new Cobra and even towing short distances on relatively flat roads the hubs are too hot to touch. I can tell from my rear view camera that the surge brake is not engaged. My conclusion re the quality of this stuff is the same as Chip's (i.e., POS). Has anybody tried the Dexter electric with the parking brake feature? Unfortunately I have to have a PB otherwise I'd be switching ASAP. Clay

I have Dexter Axle with electric brakes on my older Cobra Trailer. Works great.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 19th 19, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clay[_5_]

Thanks Richard do they get hot?
Old July 19th 19, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Euro trailers are designed and equipped with
brakes because their tow vehicles are smaller with less horsepower and smaller brakes than
Trucks and SUVs that we prefer.
Trailer brakes are redundant not necessary
with most applications in the USA.
Old July 19th 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

From my anecdotal experience most blown tires happen to those who don’t trailer often. Otherwise I can’t explain how I had only one flat (not even blown) tire in 20 years and estimated over 100,000 miles of trailering all over the hot western roads and mountains. My trailer gets driven at least once per month on average. The only maintainace I done was replacing the tires every 5 years or so.
Hope I didn’t just jinxed it.

Ramy

FS - New Tost Brass 200 x 50 Tail Wheel with tire and tube Dave Springford Soaring 1 June 26th 18 11:12 AM
Tost brass tail wheel, tube, tire for sale: USA Barny Soaring 2 August 12th 11 10:43 PM
Spare wheel/tire Steve Freeman Soaring 0 August 12th 10 11:21 PM
looking for wheel/tire/brake Brad[_2_] Soaring 1 July 29th 10 02:56 AM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 05:22 AM