Can someone explain this?

Old November 29th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Can someone explain this?

I found this on the FAA "Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked
Questions" page and I need to know what this disqualifying condition
means: "Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated,
that has been symptomatic or clinically significant."

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

AJ

Old November 29th 05, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AJ wrote:
I found this on the FAA "Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked
Questions" page and I need to know what this disqualifying condition
means: "Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated,
that has been symptomatic or clinically significant."

The above refers to partial or total occlusion of parts of one or more
coronary arteries by "hardening" (popular term), calcified fatty
deposits, or whatever you want to call it. This leads to angina or
"heart attacks" and then to procedures to reopen the vessels. If
untreated symptoms continue or worsen.

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

There are a number of conditions leading to rapid heart beat for which
the procedure you had is done. Most of them have nothing to do with
coronary artery disease. I don't know if they are disqualifying, though
I suspect they are until medical evidence is accumulated that they no
longer are a problem.
Old November 29th 05, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"AJ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found this on the FAA "Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked
Questions" page and I need to know what this disqualifying condition
means: "Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated,
that has been symptomatic or clinically significant."

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

AJ

I would think yes, but I'd call the AOPA.

Old November 29th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AJ wrote:

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

I suspect that that condition isn't defined as "coronary heart disease." Ask
your doctor.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old November 29th 05, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 29 Nov 2005 06:54:38 -0800, "AJ" wrote:

I found this on the FAA "Pilot Medical Certification-Frequently Asked
Questions" page and I need to know what this disqualifying condition
means: "Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated,
that has been symptomatic or clinically significant."

I recently underwent radiofrequency ablation, a nonsurgical procedure
used to treat some types of rapid heart beating. Would this disqualify
me from getting certified?

AJ

Although that is in the FAQ's, the relevant question on the FAA Medical is
different. That question (18g) is much more general and asks if you have
ever had "heart or vascular trouble".

You would have to answer that question "Yes" and submit appropriate
documentation from your physician(s) as well as hospital records.

Any statement from your treating physician should include a phrase that
attests that you are "not more likely to suffer sudden incapacitation than
the general population".

If your treatment has cured or controlled your problem, it is likely you
will qualify for a medical certificate; but that approval may not be able
to be given by the AME, and it may have to come from Oklahoma City. Again,
depending on the details, there may be a three or six month delay after the
procedure before they will issue a medical certificate.