Possible: 1/5th share C-172 based at BED

Old September 22nd 04, 07:32 PM
C Kingsbury

Default Possible: 1/5th share C-172 based at BED

Hi all,

I'm just testing the waters here, so bear with me. I have a 1/5th
share of a Skyhawk tied down at Hanscom Field (KBED) that I may want
to sell. Here are the vital stats:

1979 C-172N, ~2880TT, engine ~1800 (tach) with RAM 160HP mod
Condition 8/6 inside/out

IFR Certified (3/04) with:
#1 TKM MX-385 Nav/Com with glideslope
#2 ARC RT-385 Nav/Com with VOR/LOC
ARC/Cessna ADF, Mode C Transponder, and audio panel
Northstar M-1 LORAN
Portable 4-place intercom & 2 David Clark headsets
ICOM Handheld Nav/Com

Optional good stuff:
50-gal long range tanks
Precise Flight standby vacuum system

Notes & Asides:
* This plane has been owned by the partnership since factory new and
has never been in the rental fleet or used for primary training

* It is a very stable partnership with 2 members in for close to 20
years. Good bunch of guys who don't quibble about spending money on
important maintenance

* Availability of the plane is excellent, as the other members are not
very active except during the summer, and even then it feels more like
a 3-way than 5-way partnership. In the cooler months you will think
you own the plane by yourself. But all maintenance gets split 5 ways,
so even a major overhaul will only cost you a few thousand.

* Ah yes, cost. Vref calculates $50k for the plane, so 1/5th would be
$10k. Monthly fee is currently $150, and $60/hr wet tach (equiv. to
$50/hr wet Hobbs time). Compare this to $90/hour to rent the same
plane from East Coast or EFA on the same field. If you're working on
your IFR or CFI and will be flying a lot, this could actually be
cheaper than renting.

==========================

If you would be interested, please email me personally. You would need
to be able to pay cash (i.e. not have a lien put on the plane) and
willing to pay the full 10k, as I will not negotiate on the price
except for specific defects that merit adjustment.

I want to be very upfront and say that right now what I am doing is
"gauging the interest" while I figure out my own financial situation,
and I am trying to avoid selling this as it's an otherwise sweetheart
deal for me.

If I choose not to sell at this time, I will keep your name on a list,
and will do my best to contact you in case a share opens up in the
future. Several of the members are older gentlemen so this is always a
possibility.

What I do promise is to not jerk anybody around beyond this ad: If I
decide to sell, I am going to sell. It'd break my heart to let this
one go but it might have to be done. If it sounds interesting to you,
email me any questions you;d like to ask.

Best,
Colin Kingsbury
Old September 26th 04, 12:53 AM
NW_PILOT

Humm.... sharing a near run out/runout 172 with 5 people that sit's outside?
It sounds like there is way to much risk in getting stuck paying more than
your fair share with an up coming engine OH. Now if the share price
reflected engine time, an overhaul prorate & a 6 in exterior condition
price it maybe worth it. but I don't think you will find many takers at
$10,000 + $150 a month.

om...

Old September 28th 04, 03:09 AM
C Kingsbury

NW-

The $10k price reflects a $50k hull value, which is what VRef said it's
worth with the same numbers I posted here. Cursory examination of TAP, ASO,
etc. suggests this is a fair number. If it seems high, keep in mind it's a
low-time airframe and has never seen a rental fleet.

With 5 owners, even a major overhaul won't cost 1 person much more than
$3000, and then you've got a 3000 hour 1979 Skyhawk with a 0-time engine,
which is hardly a risky place to be. This ownership has held together for 22
years and I have no question it will major this airplane and hang on to it.
You hate it being a 5-owner plane on July 4th weekend, but when the annual
comes due you're really happy about it!

As for the $150 a month and sitting outside, well, what do you want, it's 15
miles from downtown Boston. The effective $50/hour wet rate is a great deal
when you consider that 100LL is now $4.30ish there and a beat-up rental 172
goes for $90/hr. And I can't quantify it (though I'll happily share the
usage log so you can see for yourself) but whoever owns my share can
reasonably expect at least 2/5 of usage, more if they fly between October
and April.

Anyway, it's all moot as it looks like I'll be able to scare up enough money
to hang with this a while longer. That being said if someone were to make me
an offer that was less and still based on reality, I would certainly
consider it.

Best,
-cwk.