XM question for Garmin 396/496 owers

Old August 23rd 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default XM question for Garmin 396/496 owers

What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you overlay a
radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are navigating?

The reason I ask is that the Bendix/King AV8OR I have does not have these
capabilities and I'm trying to get a better understanding of what
capabilities I'm forgoing by choosing the AV8OR over a Garmin product.

Old August 23rd 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you overlay
a radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are
navigating?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar returns --
can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)

Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of this
great stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 08, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-23, Kyle Boatright wrote:
What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you overlay a
radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are navigating?

The NEXRAD display shows up right on top of the nav display on the primary
nav page. You get it all in one look.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old August 23rd 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf[_2_]

I like the size of the 496's screen. I find I can easily make it "bigger" by
getting closer to it. g

Jay Honeck wrote, "... Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's
difficult to see any of this great stuff."

Old August 23rd 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you overlay
a radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are
navigating?

Think of the presentation you see when you go to aviationweather.gov.
That is pretty much what you get on the 496.

Depending on which of the two available XM WS services you subscribe to,
echo cloud tops and direction of movement, lightning, winds aloft,
surface analysis, severe weather, SIGMETS/AIRMETS, satelite mosic and
NEXRAD.

I used the winds aloft function on my return from OSH to take advantage
of an available 15 kt tailwind at 6000 ft.
Old August 23rd 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article IvKrk.309937$yE1.95597@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you overlay
a radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are
navigating?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar returns --
can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)
Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of this
great stuff.

That's because you have your 496 mounted in the dock in your panel.
I use a RAM suction cup mount to place the 496 within 12-inches of my
face. I don't like the yoke mount that comes with the 496.
I zoom in and out to obtain the best weather picture as necessary.
Old August 23rd 08, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-23, John Smith wrote:
That's because you have your 496 mounted in the dock in your panel.
I use a RAM suction cup mount to place the 496 within 12-inches of my
face. I don't like the yoke mount that comes with the 496.
I zoom in and out to obtain the best weather picture as necessary.

That's one reason my 496 is mounted on the center console, to the front of
the map case/arm rest. It's a lot more redaable there. The other reason is
that there's not a lot of other places to put it in the Zodiac...
Old August 23rd 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar
returns --
can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)
Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of
this
great stuff.

That's because you have your 496 mounted in the dock in your panel.
I use a RAM suction cup mount to place the 496 within 12-inches of my
face. I don't like the yoke mount that comes with the 496.

Even before I had it panel docked (which, BTW, makes it more -- not less --
readable, by putting it at nearly eye-level) that dinky screen drove me
nuts. I like your suction mount solution better than a yoke mount (which
I -- like most people -- used), though. When it was yoke mounted I couldn't
scrunch down far enough to "make the screen bigger by getting closer" --
especially with old(er) eyes. Now, if needed, the co-pilot can stick their
face right up to that miniscule screen.

I've said it before here, but it bears repeating: The 496 is a compromise.
It's a so-so GPS and an excellent entertainment center that provides XM
weather in the cockpit. It's only the latter feature that makes it
worthwhile to own.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 23rd 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you
overlay a radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are
navigating?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar
returns -- can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)

Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of
this great stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

OK, next question...

Why'd you select the 496 instead of the 396 if the key functionality is XM,
which is more or less what you indicated in another post?

Old August 23rd 08, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What are the weather overlay capabilities of these units? Can you
overlay a radar map on top of your airspace map? Across a route you are
navigating?

Yes, yes, and yes. Everything -- airspace, navigation, and radar
returns -- can be shown on the same map. (You can add satellite, too.)

Sadly, the 496's screen is so little that it's difficult to see any of
this great stuff.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
Ercoupe N94856
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

OK, next question...

Why'd you select the 496 instead of the 396 if the key functionality is
XM, which is more or less what you indicated in another post?

The 496 has a faster processor and updates faster when you are switching
views. IMO that's the biggest advantage although there are a few bells and
whistles you get with the 496 not found on the 396.

Garmin 430 question [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 23 July 23rd 08 01:05 PM
Garmin 76S question Carl Buehler Soaring 2 April 30th 04 11:06 AM
Garmin 430 question smf Instrument Flight Rules 4 December 1st 03 03:03 AM
Garmin 430 question MLenoch Piloting 3 August 5th 03 03:55 AM
GARMIN 196 QUESTION Cub Driver Piloting 5 July 9th 03 04:29 PM