REVMASTER vs. GREAT PLAINS V.W.

Old January 9th 11, 11:57 AM
mohr mohr is offline
Junior Member

Default REVMASTER vs. GREAT PLAINS V.W.

I Am Looking For Opinions Based On Personal Experiences Related To Revmaster And Great Plains V.w. Convertions From Reliability Point Of View.

I Know That The Limbach Is The Best, But Due To The Fact That It Is A Certified Engine His Price Is To High (for Me).

Any Help On This Matter Will Be Very Welcome.

Regards
Old January 10th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"mohr" wrote in message

I Am Looking For Opinions Based On Personal Experiences Related To
Revmaster And Great Plains V.w. Convertions From Reliability Point Of
View.

I Know That The Limbach Is The Best, But Due To The Fact That It Is A
Certified Engine His Price Is To High (for Me).

Any Help On This Matter Will Be Very Welcome.

Regards

If the late Bob Hoover were with us still, he would be the first to tell you
that any of the VW engines are only good for about 40 HP continuous. If you
push the amount of power that someone else says it will make, the valves
will cook, and you have a paperweight.

On the other hand, if you are happy with 40 HP, then it could be the engine
for you.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 12th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Tom De Moor" wrote in message
.be...
In article ,

If the late Bob Hoover were with us still, he would be the first to tell
you
that any of the VW engines are only good for about 40 HP continuous. If
you
push the amount of power that someone else says it will make, the valves
will cook, and you have a paperweight.

On the other hand, if you are happy with 40 HP, then it could be the
engine
for you.

Most likely Bob is forging a super-VW ! It's either that or bullits...

God be warned!

Tom De Moor

* as to VW-engines: AeroVee
http://www.sonexaircraft.com/engines/engines.html

or indeed the Jabiru's

The truth is that I had the occasional dissagreement with Bob about that
40HP rule of his--because it is so difficult to achieve and maintain maximum
horsepower with a fixed pitch prop. OTOH, the original VW engines are so old
and heavy that you might very well beat them with a modern water cooled
engine.

Don't forget that, IIRC, the owner of Great Plains was a very long time
friend of Bob's and that the "rear drive" configuration--which was also
espoused by both Bob Hoover and Steve Wittman--has a pretty good record of
crankshaft reliability. I seem to recall that Bob did also talk years ago
about what it took to produce a reliable 75HP at the most commonly accepted
propeller speeds; so it was never really called "impossible" with heads
having enough fin area. Then again, you could start to approach the price
of the much lighter Jabiru 2200!

Peter

Old January 13th 11, 09:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Dungrave

you also forgot http://www.sauer-flugmotorenbau.de/Flugmotore.html. They
are the alternative to Limbach in Germany. They sell experimental
and certified VW based engines. Paid them a visit yesterday.
-M

Old July 6th 19, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Le dimanche 9 janvier 2011 11:57:17 UTC+1, mohr a écritÂ*:
[...]

Hello,
I am looking for an engine for my project, I am interested in a Revmaster and read everything that says about it on the internet.

You sign Mohr's name. Your grand parents would not they come from a region East of France, Lorraine or Alsace? My grandmother's maiden name was Mohr, one of her sister emigrated to the USA in the late 1800s.
It would be fun to have a relationship.
Yours truly
Jacques