Fowler flaps?

Old May 11th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fowler flaps?

I am presently in the process of converting a PA-22 to a Sportsman 2+2.
Plans call for new wings to be buillt from scratch and I am
considering the use of Fowler flaps rather than conventional for
greater lift, reduced stall speed, steeper landing approach and better
angle of attack/ visibility while landing. Can anyone suggest a link
or reference for plans or explanation of construction of such flaps?.
Have found little on construction techniques on the net to date.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. TJ

Old May 11th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

TJ
A very good book "The Flower Flap". A engineering hand book, By Harland
Fowler.
It has 90 pages of information about the history and engineering
Info. about the Fowler Flap. A good book for the aircraft Designers
and Builders.
I have used it for many years.

Sold by Aircraft Design Inc. Was $42.00
www.aircraftdesigns.com
Listed under books and software.

Larry Fitzgerald

www.fitzair.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~

Old May 12th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

yes, horizontal stabs are enlarged.... each feather opened near mid
and approx 10" are added to each...

I'll order the book..thanks

Old May 13th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Complete and total waste of effort I would say. Fowler flaps provide
the same section cl increase as slotted flaps, from roughly 1.6 to 2.6.
The only difference is the fowler flap increases area somewhat. If
you work it out using the calculation to estimate stall speed and
factoring the increase in area or say 10%, the benefit of the increase
in area with fowler flaps extended will be tiny on an airplane that
already has generous wing area, maybe two knots. Not much benefit for a
whole lot of design, analysis and testing. They are more likely to
provide a useful benefit on a high performance airplane with small wings
that needs all the extra lift it can get because the landing energy is
way up there..

Just use a slotted flap on hinge arms. In fact, if you really want to
make changes to the flaps to get more lift, you will likely get more
benefit by making the slotted flap into double slotted type by adding a
fixed slat to the leading edge, than by building an elaborate fowler
track system.

John

Old May 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hi John.. can you suggest a link with a good illustration/ plans,
please (anything is welcome)... looking for anything right about
now.... I've been told by someone who has built and flown a 2+2 from a
PA-22 (certified Aircraft Mechanic) that the limitations of this
airplane as a bush plane is not it's capability of taking off and
getting out of small lakes, but rather landing and finally touching
down after flare out.... with Super Cub wings installed, this thing is
a kite and seems to take forever to finally touch down...

He claims with a system like a fowler not so much is the change in
stall speed important but rather a steeper approach so flaring as close
to the downwind end of the lake/ obstacle is possible... This will
provide better nose down attitude for vision also...

The gentleman mentioned above and myself are now building a pair of
sister airplanes together in the same shop... I'm trying to gather a
little research on the flap dilemma while he shows me how to build the
rst of a 2+2...

I welcome ANY and ALL advice regarding this subject...

TJ

Old May 13th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On 13 May 2006 05:55:28 -0700, "TJ400" wrote:

[...]

go find a cessna 150. this has the simplest fowler flap setup going.
at 40 degrees of flaps it works well.
btw while you are at it put frise ailerons on as well.

Stealth Pilot
Old May 13th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

with Super Cub wings installed, this thing is
a kite and seems to take forever to finally touch down...

Spoilers like the old T'cart's? A WHOLE lot easier to do than Fowlers
or even slotted flaps. Besides Spoilers are better for glide path
control than flaps anyway - IMHO

For ideas go look at some gliders.
===============
Leon McAtee

Old May 13th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote in message
oups.com...
with Super Cub wings installed, this thing is a kite and seems to take
forever to finally touch down...

Spoilers like the old T'cart's? A WHOLE lot easier to do than Fowlers
or even slotted flaps. Besides Spoilers are better for glide path
control than flaps anyway - IMHO

For ideas go look at some gliders.

Most homebuilt sailplanes use flaps for glide slope control. The reason?
Ease of construction.

Udo Rumpf's version of an HP-18 is a good example.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/St...iors/Udo_2.jpg
These are not Fowler flaps, they are simple hinge flaps. They change the
glide slop from 40 to 1, to about 3 to 1. You won't float with these babes
down!

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N990/N990.html