A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Old December 30th 19, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

The ratio of price and performance of the Ventus CT I very good. I think if you don't wanna fly a wgc you have the perfect glider.
Old December 30th 19, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

Mike N - if you are in the east, go to Cordele for your first contest. They run racing for beginners lessons during the contest and the task area is about as benign as anywhere you could fly with big flat fields. It's a great site for your first contest.

Old December 30th 19, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Thanks for the comments. Not trying to hijack the thread or anything, I have been reading it with interest.

I am in S.W. Florida, where is Cordell? This may be exactly what I need to do. I'll go over to the SSA website and look it up there as well.

Thanks for the comments!
Old December 30th 19, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

OK I just found this:
https://www.flycordele.com/

I am going to look at the event timing and see if I can make this event, this year. Thanks!

Sorry to tangent the O.P.s original intent of this thread but I do appreciate the information.

Mike
Old December 30th 19, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

The Ventus b is about 96% and the Ventus C is about 98% of the Ventus 2. They are very similar in the run, the V2 climbs better. The difference in the Ventus b versus c was mostly in the wing root that allowed the c to have less drag and climb better. The biggest difference from the V1 to V2 was improved handling at low speed and a softer wing that allows a better feel for the air. It is highly recommended that all V1’s have winglets installed if it has not been done yet. I also found winglets on the 16.6 and 17.6 tips improved the handling when flown with the extensions.
Old December 31st 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Thanks Tim, appreciate the feedback. Looking forward to hopefully flying with you this summer in Logan.

I have Masak 15 meter winglets for my Ventus Ct. Would love to get a set of 17.6 meter tips with winglets. I am looking into some options there.

To the O.P. again my apologies for slightly diverting your thread a bit.

Thanks all,
Mike
Old December 31st 19, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

As I said, the Ventus cm SN 107 to 110 have 5" wheels. All V2b I saw the same.
Old December 31st 19, 08:25 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Taylor View Post
The Ventus b is about 96% and the Ventus C is about 98% of the Ventus 2. They are very similar in the run, the V2 climbs better. The difference in the Ventus b versus c was mostly in the wing root that allowed the c to have less drag and climb better. The biggest difference from the V1 to V2 was improved handling at low speed and a softer wing that allows a better feel for the air. It is highly recommended that all V1’s have winglets installed if it has not been done yet. I also found winglets on the 16.6 and 17.6 tips improved the handling when flown with the extensions.
Like Tim says, the V1 benefits greatly from winglets. My Va has Masaks in 15m and the previous owner put 27b winglets on the 16.6m extensions. With the 16.6 in weak to medium conditions in Auckland NZ it ran a little bit better and climbed about the same when empty than his new glider, an ASW 27b.

He also modded the Va with wing root fillets and extended the rudder a little. Once we started ballasting up it was a case of try to keep up with the 27

Having said all that I'd be very happy to move up to a Vc or any V2 variant

:-) Colin

Last edited by Ventus_a : December 31st 19 at 08:27 AM.
Old January 2nd 20, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pasi Pulkkinen
external usenet poster

Oh yes,

was working for HCS for few years.

Pasi

Ok , I never post , but..

Were you flying a DG 300? many many years ago on the Pine Nuts , and met up with a black GLIDER ?? Seem to remember your name

HW
Old January 2nd 20, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I know two guys bought Ventii and couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Having gone through both types on inspection I would definitely go Schleicher.