Australian Air Safari ??

Old February 18th 06, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Australian Air Safari ??

Has anyone any knowledge of an "Australian Air Safari" where pilots and
their families rent light aircraft and go on a guided tour around the
country?

As I understand it, several planes are led from place to place by a local
guide.

I had heard about this several years ago. Supposedly, the company arranges
for checkout and local certification, arranges the tour, etc.

Any info would be appreciated. Google turned up lots of charter operations,
but no self piloted tours.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said "Let's go!!!"

Cheers:

Paul

Old February 18th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

("Tri-Pacer" wrote)
Has anyone any knowledge of an "Australian Air Safari" where pilots and
their families rent light aircraft and go on a guided tour around the
country?

Are they the ones going out of business because of some NEW onerous security
regulations?

I mentioned this to my wife and she said "Let's go!!!"

Marry that gal. Oh, I see you already did.

Montblack

Old February 18th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The AOPA Pilot magazine has run articles about such tours,
you might contact the AOPA or search their AOPA PILOT
magazine back issues, maybe on-line.

AOPA Australia Online - Supporting Aviation Links to AOPA's
current advertisiers are now on the web! More. © 2004-2005
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia ACN 004
274 588 ...
www.aopa.com.au/infocentre/news.cfm - 35k - Cached -
Similar pages

AOPA Australia Online - Supporting Aviation If you have a
link you would like to see included on the AOPA Australia
Online Links Page, ... 2004-2005 Aircraft Owners and Pilots
Association of Australia ...
www.aopa.com.au/infocentre/index.cfm - 26k -
Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.aopa.com.au ]

AOPA Online -- AOPA Pilot -- Links for March 1998 issue The
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), a
not-for-profit individual membership ... 39); Australian
Aero Discovery tours of Australia (p. ...
www.aopa.org/pilot/links/9803links.shtml - 27k -
Cached - Similar pages

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

. ..

Old February 18th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Unfortunately this company (GOANA Safari) did stop operating at the end
of 2005 due to new security regulations in Australia that made it
difficult for foreign pilots to get checked out in their planes. I had
always hoped to do this someday, but looks like I missed my chance.
They used to have a booth at Oshkosh with all of the information.

http://www.goana.com.au/main.htm

Eric
1959 Pilatus P-3
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/index.html

Old February 18th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All together now, "Thank you, Osama, not"

Seems the governments around the world are very good at
crafting oppressive rules.

some support

ups.com...

Old February 18th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All together now, "Thank you, Osama, not"

Osama has little to do with it. It is the paranoia of government. Just
like the panic in the streets of DC when the errant C150 strayed into
their precious airspace.

Jose
Old February 18th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Osama did provide the "cover story" to allow the government
to do what many had wanted to do all along. At least in the
USA "we the people" can still get the rules changed when we
get involved, but too many don't see the real problems,
they're just glad the government "has done something."

some support

. ..

Old February 18th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tri-Pacer wrote:
Has anyone any knowledge of an "Australian Air Safari" where pilots and
their families rent light aircraft and go on a guided tour around the
country?

As I understand it, several planes are led from place to place by a local
guide.

I had heard about this several years ago. Supposedly, the company arranges
for checkout and local certification, arranges the tour, etc.

Any info would be appreciated. Google turned up lots of charter operations,
but no self piloted tours.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said "Let's go!!!"

Cheers:

Paul

Sadly, they are out of business. We went on one of the tours last
summer and it was the best time we've ever had. LOTS of flying, lots of
fun, great folks. Too bad they are gone.

Margy
Old February 18th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Tri-Pacer wrote:
Has anyone any knowledge of an "Australian Air Safari" where pilots and
their families rent light aircraft and go on a guided tour around the
country?

Goana Air Safaris was doing this for years. I did it last July.
Unfortunately, the recent security rules make it near impossible
to bring in foreign pilots to fly in Australia and that drove the
company out of business.
Old February 19th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Eric Bartsch wrote:
Unfortunately this company (GOANA Safari) did stop operating at the end
of 2005 due to new security regulations in Australia that made it
difficult for foreign pilots to get checked out in their planes. I had
always hoped to do this someday, but looks like I missed my chance.
They used to have a booth at Oshkosh with all of the information.

It's not the checkout. I got checked out under the new rules (I
essentially had to do a full up BFR, just added an additional day).

What killed them is that to go into any airport with scheduled
air service (and we're talking about nowhere airports without
even a fence around them) you need a security card. The Australian
bureaucracy won't even start processing cards for foreigners until
you get to Australia which means you'd have to allocate a couple
of extra weeks in front of the tour to push papers.