Mystery plane! - New stealth fighter

Old October 7th 04, 12:49 PM
Bob Moore

"Jay Honeck" wrote

Does *anyone* on a piloting newsgroup NOT like "Top Gun" --
undoubtedly the best flying movie of all time?

From a former Naval Aviator (1958-1967), Top Gun "sucked"!
Hmmm....maybe I served in a different Navy....

Bob Moore

Old October 7th 04, 02:21 PM
Rick Durden

Jay,

Does *anyone* on a piloting newsgroup NOT like "Top Gun" -- undoubtedly the
best flying movie of all time?

I assume you are asking that question heavily tongue-in-cheek g. I
admire the movie, largely because one of my aviation heroes, Art
Scholl, was killed filming it. It's a wonderful propaganda and
recruiting piece and I know of several current pilots who decided to
become pilots after watching it. The acting is weak and the technical
work is awful.

If you want a good flying movie, go find a copy of "633 Squadron",
which is technically the most accurate flying movie ever made (plot is
a little shakey, although it's based on fact), the uniforms, vehicles
and aircraft are 100% accurate (according to folks who know that sort
of thing) and the scenes of the Merlin powered D.H. Mosquitoes flying
are excellent. The only downside is that they destroyed a Mossie
filming the movie. Another flying movie that is better than "Top Gun"
is "Battle of Britain" which has some extraordinary flight sequences
using WWII aircraft (even though all the German airplanes have Merlin
engines by the time they filmed it, about 1968).

Warmest regards,
Rick
Old October 7th 04, 02:41 PM
bryan chaisone

Big John wrote in message . ..
Jay

If you like fake, it's great.

Although I noticed a few 'glitches', I still liked "Top Gun". I
really liked the flying in the original "The Saint"? No, that's not
the name. You guys know that soaring scene where the art thief flies
the glider around, did a little aerobatics and lands in the field?
What was the name of that movie? They remade it with the James Bond
guy. Brosnan, I think is his name. Boy I can't remember anything
today. Only 38 and my mind is gone.

Bryan
Old October 7th 04, 03:06 PM
Geoffrey Barnes

I don't know why you would assume that. The Navy, and the DOD in general,
vet movies pretty well before letting them use thier stuff and I'd be
willing to bet that is a Navy CV or CVN.

You may or may not have liked "Top Gun" but I wouldn't call it a bad

movie.
I can't think of a DOD supported film in the last 10 years that would fall
into the really sucks column.

At last, I have found it! Proof positive that you can't say ANYTHING in
this newsgroup, not matter how innocuous, no matter how tongue-in-cheek, and
not gather at least one indignantly negative response.

Thanks, Gig... I really needed this last bit of proof before I published my
dissertation ("Flame Wars and Hypersensitive Aviators: An Analysis of
Dispute in Rec.Aviation.Piloting"), and you have given it to me! With any
luck, I can get this to the committee today and get hooded at the December
graduation. Wooo-hooo!

---

Old October 7th 04, 03:39 PM
Jay Honeck

If you like fake, it's great.

Of course it's not 100% accurate -- it's Hollywood.

(What, you mean you never flew canopy-to-canopy with the enemy while giving
them "the bird", Big John?? :-)

But what makes the movie great is:

a) Lots of flying, afterburner flame and thunder (on a home theater, it's
awesome)
b) Enough of a love story to keep the women interested.

It's a movie that women and men can both watch -- even though it's mostly a
movie about the F-14.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 7th 04, 04:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gig Giacona wrote:

I don't know why you would assume that. The Navy, and the DOD in general,
vet movies pretty well before letting them use thier stuff and I'd be
willing to bet that is a Navy CV or CVN.

According to Todd's post, it's the Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72).

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 7th 04, 08:17 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:20:57 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

I was unaware that his last flight occurred during the filming of Top
Gun. Is anyone able to provide any details on the circumstances?
NTSB report?

He had modified his Pitt's to mount a video camera behind the cockpit
to film the sea spinning for that sequence in the film. Apparently
the camera put the center of gravity far enough to the rear that once
he got into a spin, the airplane became unrecoverable. He kept trying
to get it out of the spin all the way down. He radioed several times
that he had a problem.

Don't know if he was wearing a chute.

Corky Scott

Old October 7th 04, 10:38 PM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:17:39 -0400, Corky Scott
wrote in
::

wrote:

I was unaware that his last flight occurred during the filming of Top
Gun. Is anyone able to provide any details on the circumstances?
NTSB report?

He had modified his Pitt's to mount a video camera behind the cockpit
to film the sea spinning for that sequence in the film. Apparently
the camera put the center of gravity far enough to the rear that once
he got into a spin, the airplane became unrecoverable. He kept trying
to get it out of the spin all the way down. He radioed several times
that he had a problem.

Don't know if he was wearing a chute.

Corky Scott

Thank you for the information.

That is a truly heart rending story. It's hard to believe that such
could happen to so skilled an aerobatic performer. However, with such
a short little airplane, I would expect keeping the CG within the
envelope to be problematic.

Once again aviation proves just how unforgiving it can be even for a
skilled and talented airman.

More he
http://www.artscholl.com/FinalFlight.htm (September 16, 1985.)
http://www.artscholl.com/Art%20&%20Harold.htm