Removing Narco Radios

Old June 26th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve - KDMW

Default Removing Narco Radios

I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Steve
KDMW

Old June 26th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:29:58 -0700, Steve - KDMW
wrote:

I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Isn't it a long-ish 3/16" (forget exactly now which) allen?
Old June 26th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

wrote:

I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Isn't it a long-ish 3/16" (forget exactly now which) allen?

Yea, dua, 3/32nd" allen.
Old June 27th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Steve - KDMW wrote:

I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Steve
KDMW

There are 2 different configurations of the Narco COM 810 with different
locking mechanisms. There was a "standard" 810 and a "replacement" 810
(designated the COM 810/R. The /R units would slide into the old COM120
trays as well as a couple of older Narco units. The different units
release in 2 completely different ways.

The 810/R replacement for the COM120 uses a single allen screw (as did
the original COM120) located on the bottom of the face a little to the
right of center. I believe the "standard" 810 used a single spring
loaded lock (on the right side only about half way up on the right
faceplate) similar to the MK12D (which used this lock on both sides).

To release the "standard" 810, you find a drill bit,welding rod, or long
allen wrench that just fits the hole and push it in a bit ( about 1/2
inch). You then push the faceplate back (in) to release tension on the
lock, insert the rod to release the catch (while holding tension on the
faceplate), and then let go of the whole thing. It should pop out a bit.
From there it should be free to slide out. If you don't push the
faceplate back to release the tension on the lock, it will appear you
are using the wrong tool because it won't unlatch. The actual lock is
about 3 inches into the hole. If you use a tool that is too skinny, it
also won't release the unit. Find a rod that just fits the hole.

To release the "replacement" 810/R, you find the allen wrench that fits
the allen screw in the bottom of the face (it is recessed back into the
hole about 1/4 inch). Unscrew the allen screw and the unit should begin
to back out as you turn the wrench, You then turn the screw (about 10
turns) until the unit is free to pull out. If you strip this screw, you
are screwed. Be sure you have the right allen wrench before you bung it
up. It fits snugly into the screw.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old June 27th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Also, if you still are having trouble pulling out the radio after turning
the allen wrench CCW, try also removing the radio in the stack above the one
you need to remove. Sometimes this allows a stuck locking dog to move
freely.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Worry is rust upon the blade.
ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 26, 12:29 pm, Steve - KDMW wrote:
I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Steve
KDMW

I would think that if you have a relationship with an avionics ship
(probably where you do your transponder cert every 2 years) they would
remove it without charge.

-Robert

Old June 27th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve - KDMW

On Jun 26, 8:41 pm, Mike Spera wrote:
Steve - KDMW wrote:
[...]

From there it should be free to slide out. If you don't push the
faceplate back to release the tension on the lock, it will appear you
are using the wrong tool because it won't unlatch. The actual lock is
about 3 inches into the hole. If you use a tool that is too skinny, it
also won't release the unit. Find a rod that just fits the hole.

To release the "replacement" 810/R, you find the allen wrench that fits
the allen screw in the bottom of the face (it is recessed back into the
hole about 1/4 inch). Unscrew the allen screw and the unit should begin
to back out as you turn the wrench, You then turn the screw (about 10
turns) until the unit is free to pull out. If you strip this screw, you
are screwed. Be sure you have the right allen wrench before you bung it
up. It fits snugly into the screw.

Good Luck,
Mike

Yes, I've got the standard setup. Thanks.

Old June 27th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Steve - KDMW wrote:
I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Steve
KDMW

I do not know about he Com 810, but on the MK 12Ds it is just a stiff
pin that is inserted into the hole to move the catches out of the way
and let the radio slide out. One of mine is a little sticky and you
havea to have it in just right. The other one is no problem.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old June 27th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default Removing Narco Radios - Correction

To release the "replacement" 810/R, you find the allen wrench that fits
the allen screw in the bottom of the face (it is recessed back into the
hole about 1/4 inch). Unscrew the allen screw and the unit should begin
to back out as you turn the wrench, You then turn the screw (about 10
turns) until the unit is free to pull out. If you strip this screw, you
are screwed. Be sure you have the right allen wrench before you bung it
up. It fits snugly into the screw.

Slight correction. I was thinking of the Narco transponder mounting
above. It has a threaded screw that turns into a threaded nut on the
back of the tray.

The replacement (810/R) is a bit different in that it releases by
unscrewing the allen screw only a couple of turns at which time it
should "unload" or become very east to turn. While holding slight
counterclockwise tension on the screw, you can pull the radio out.

There is a tab-like dog on the threaded screw that, when the screw is
turned clockwise the dog eventually twists into the small cutout in the
tray and hits a stop. Once it can no longer spin freely, it "rides" the
threaded portion of the screw and starts to draw the radio in tight.
When you unscrew it, it releases the radio and spins into the radio and
clears the tray. If you hold a little tension at that point, it won't
fall back down and catch the tray.

Impossible to visualize via this description I'm sure. One look and it
becomes quite clear.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old June 27th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JB

On Jun 27, 3:19 pm, Ross wrote:
Steve - KDMW wrote:
I know to remove a Narco radio (Com 810) there is a hole and you
insert a key... kind of like opening a CD-ROM tray with it powered
off. So, my question is, if I don't have this key, what makes a good
substitute? I tried using a 2" jewelers phillips screwdriver but it
apparently wasn't long enough. Is it just a matter of getting
something longer or is there a special shape to this key?

Steve
KDMW

I do not know about he Com 810, but on the MK 12Ds it is just a stiff
pin that is inserted into the hole to move the catches out of the way
and let the radio slide out. One of mine is a little sticky and you
havea to have it in just right. The other one is no problem.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI

For the Mark12D (or D+), a piece of coat hanger works perfectly!
Bend the end 90d so it doesn't go into your wrist! :-)

--Jeff

Removing RTV John Home Built 6 October 31st 06 11:07 PM
Removing Ethanol from Gas? Jay Honeck Piloting 67 August 16th 06 03:29 PM
Removing Fabric Michael Horowitz Home Built 3 August 15th 05 11:25 AM
Removing decals [email protected] Owning 8 August 10th 05 03:55 AM
U$ Says Prisoners Beaten With Hand-Held Radios, NOT Clock Radios! *snicker* JStONGE123 Military Aviation 1 May 11th 04 06:22 AM