PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System

Old October 13th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System

PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

at least make you aware of what fast moving traffic is approaching
your current airspace.
If you think that an airliner in going to spot you just because
you have a transponder, is a very false security.
I fly a Boeing jet for a living and at times it is very hard to see
another jet that ATC and TCAS alerted us to.

When I flew my glider in Moriarty last June, I was amazed at the number
of large jets coming in from the east passing above and below me.
I was talking and listening to ABQ approach control. ACT gave the
approaching traffic my position and altitude and none of the airliners
could look visually locate me. I saw all of them. I am sure that most
of these pilots are running their descent and approach check lists,
doing an approach briefing and saying a few last words to the
passengers.

At work when we get below 18,000 feet, I am always looking for gliders
below the base of the clouds. I have never seen a glider in over
19 years of flying, but I know that they are there. I am hoping that
they see me.
It seems to me that a PCAS type of system would help me locate
a majority of the biggest and fastest moving threats in the sky,
commercial airliners, corporate jet and higher-end general aviation
aicraft).

Any PCAS users out there?

Randy

Old October 13th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Backer

I have recently purchased that device but have only had a chance to fly
with it twice. All I can say is that is works as advertised.

Bob

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

Old October 13th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I fly with a PCAS, Randy. I bought it because my glider club lies
inside the Mode C veil of PHL, because an active military air base is 5
miles away, and because there are several airways that lie within
several miles of us.

It has gone off several times during each of the 5 flights that I've
had it in my glider. As I get height and distance readings, it is
usually pretty easy to spot the traffic. Once I had difficulty finding
the threat, and it turned out to be a commuter running through the
clouds above me. I wasn't too worried, because the MRX indicated that
he was level and 600 feet higher than me, but if he had been descending
I would have been sweating big time!

Incidentally, I did a review of the various PCAS units available; you
can read the discussion he http://tinyurl.com/pcmkw

-John

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

Old October 13th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
If you think that an airliner in going to spot you just because

you have a transponder, is a very false security.
I fly a Boeing jet for a living and at times it is very hard to see
another jet that ATC and TCAS alerted us to.

But doesn't TCAS gives you resolution without the need to spot the
threat?
I was under the impression that it does.

Ramy

Old October 13th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Ramy wrote:
wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
If you think that an airliner in going to spot you just because

you have a transponder, is a very false security.
I fly a Boeing jet for a living and at times it is very hard to see
another jet that ATC and TCAS alerted us to.

But doesn't TCAS gives you resolution without the need to spot the
threat?
I was under the impression that it does.

Only if the threat is also equipped with TCAS...

Marc
Old October 13th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

That is NOT correct. TCAS was specifically designed to provide evasive
maneuver info for airliners that are on a collision course with GA aircraft.
However, the GA aircraft needs a Mode C Transponder (and it needs to be
turned on).

Mike Schumann

Old October 13th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Mike Schumann wrote:
That is NOT correct. TCAS was specifically designed to provide evasive
maneuver info for airliners that are on a collision course with GA aircraft.
However, the GA aircraft needs a Mode C Transponder (and it needs to be
turned on).

You are correct, I was confusing limitations of TCAS I with TCAS II...

Marc
Old October 14th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

I know quiet a few which use the Zaon and are very pleased. I am using
the Monroy ATD200 and am pleased with it too. It is an older unit,
about the same size of the Zaon with the same functionality, including
voice alert, except it does not have altitude band. I am considering
upgrading to the Zaon since I am flying in an area with lots of traffic
thus preffer to have an altitude band to reduce alarms from non
threats, but for someone in less traffic area it is sufficient. so if
anyone is interested in an even cheaper PCAS just drop me a line.
http://www.monroyaero.com/atd200.html
http://www.flightstore.co.uk/monroy_...6.dept_l3 .0/

Ramy

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

Old October 14th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

John,

I've read your review of the various PCAS (same as TPAS) devices. I use the
Proxalert R-5 and would add to your comments re this unit.

You are correct, it does not have internal batteries and so needs ship's
power. This has not been much of an issue for me - - install the wire and
plug once, don't have to change batteries.

It does hang down some 3/4" below the glare shield. This allows it to have a
good sized display, while not blocking forward view. In my ASH26E, it sits
on the glareshield and doesn't block the view of the upper portion of the
panel (this area is already blocked by the glare shield "brow", nor does it
block forward view at all.

The Proxalert is the only unit I'm aware of that displays threat aircraft
squawk code. This is important to me as the threat level from a 1200 squawk
aircraft, all other things being equal, is much higher than that from a
discreet squawking aircraft. The discreet squawking aircraft is talking to
ATC and probably has been told of my presence (I use a transponder).

If the host, PCAS glider, has no transponder, then I guess it doesn't much
matter what the threat aircraft is squawking - - not likely he is aware of
you in any case!

I have heard complaints from some R-5 owners that their unit did not alarm
reliably or was inconsistent. I've not had that problem with mine at all. It
finds traffic that I otherwise wouldn't see, some of which I never do see
(g). When I'm talking to ATC getting flight following, the R-5 display is
remarkably consistent with their advisories.
--
bumper ZZ (reverse all after @)
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."
oups.com...

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to

Old October 14th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks for the input, Bumper. I got my information solely from the
manufacturer's web sites, so user reports are very welcome!

I've had the same experience that you've had, that my PCAS/TPAS unit
sometimes picks threats up I never see. However, these threats are
typically 3 miles or more distant, and several thousand feet above or
below me. The commuter running through the clouds above me was also
invisible, until he was practically overhead - but at least I knew we
had sufficient vertical separation!

One question - in your flight experience, does the way the R5 combines
threats having the same squawk code on the same line of the display,
showing only the closest threat's distance, and flip-flopping the
various threat altitudes, cause you any confusion?

-John

bumper wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

wrote:
PCAS - Portable Collision Avoidance System
http://www.zaonflight.com/mrx.html
Is there anyone out there using this system in their glider?

From what I have read, it seems like a like a pretty nice system to