The "New" Bendix/King

Old June 13th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

Default The "New" Bendix/King

Anyone have anything to share (rumors, non-public info, or predictions) on
what the "new" Bendix King will be? For those who are not aware, they have a
full page ad in AOPA Pilot (June 2007 issue) on page 63 on this announcement
scheduled for Oshkosh.

IMO, they have a whole lot of catching up to do with regards to Garmin.
Seems like they have to change much of the core aspects of the company to
become competitive again.

My prediction: a WAAS (as in TSO 146a) GPS receiver announcement with a new
logo (that is, once you take away the marketing hype).

Marco

Old June 13th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

If you google groups for my name, Honeywell, Bendix King, GPS, OSH... you'll
find a couple posts where I described my inquiries to the company reps the
past couple years at OSH.
Jim Burns

Old June 13th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
If you google groups for my name, Honeywell, Bendix King, GPS, OSH...
you'll
find a couple posts where I described my inquiries to the company reps the
past couple years at OSH.

Ahh, I see it now from 2005. I'm curious now as to what design decisions
were made particularly to the incorporation of the Nav/Com. That's one of
the beauties of the 400/500 series. It took care of the regulation requiring
a VOR-based nav as a backup to [TSO 129] GPS enroute ops.

If the new WAAS GPS is the only thing "new" come July 23rd, that's one heck
of a thick layer of marketing butter.

Marco

Old June 13th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Granby

On Jun 13, 11:14 am, "Marco Leon" wrote:

Anyone have anything to share (rumors, non-public info, or
predictions) on what the "new" Bendix King will be? For
those who are not aware, they have a full page ad in AOPA
Pilot (June 2007 issue) on page 63 on this announcement
scheduled for Oshkosh.

I know, but if I told you, I'd have to kill you...

Old June 14th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Marco Leon asked,
Anyone have anything to share (rumors, non-public info, or predictions) on
what the "new" Bendix King will be?

Here's my prediction -- background first:

At Oshkosh several years ago I talked to the founder of a new avionics
company who was showing an outstanding product. I thought it was terrific
and so did everyone else.

During a lull, I asked him why King hadn't bought them. He then told me an
interesting story. I later had him repeat it and, with his permission,
recorded it. At the time, AlliedSignal owned Bendix/King. Then Honeywell and
AlliedSignal merged and took the name Honeywell -- but I digress. Here's the
transcript:

"He (the president of AlliedSignal) called me and he said, 'How would you
like to be part of AlliedSignal?' And I said, 'Sounds interesting. What's in
it for me?' He said, 'Well, we've got 300 engineers, we've got 25 attorneys,
we have ten R & D aircraft, we've got world wide sales distribution support,
marketing, etc., etc.' I said, 'Well, if you have all that, why don't you
just make one of these things yourself?' He said, 'Well, because we've got
300 engineers, 25 attorneys, ten R & D aircraft, world wide sales marketing
distribution support, and it's just too complicated to start something from
scratch like this and actually get it through the cogs of the organization.'
"

Prediction:

Honeywell Bendix/King is now even more too big to do anything. It'll be some
other engineers (like Gary Burrell and Min Kao) who leave and start a new
company.

Jon

Old June 15th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
. ..
Here's my prediction -- background first:

[snip]
[...]

Now THAT's interesting. As I mentioned in my original post, I had a feeling
that some big changes need to happen to get a new product line going. It
looks like buying up smaller companies with promising technologies and
perfecting them with experienced engineers is the only viable for Bendix
King to get back in the game.

Will be interesting to watch.

Marco