WWII Fighter Bombers

Old March 19th 04, 10:31 PM
zxcv

Default WWII Fighter Bombers

Would a fighter plane (say a P-51 or P-40 for example) that was on mission
to drop some tactgical bombs and encountered some any fighters generally
drop its bombs before engaging the enemy? or just try to run away? or fight
with them still hanging on (sounds pretty dangerous to me with the extra
weight and the BOMBs hanging under their wings)?

Old March 20th 04, 10:00 AM
John Keeney

"zxcv" wrote in message
Would a fighter plane (say a P-51 or P-40 for example) that was on mission
to drop some tactgical bombs and encountered some any fighters generally
drop its bombs before engaging the enemy? or just try to run away? or

fight
with them still hanging on (sounds pretty dangerous to me with the extra
weight and the BOMBs hanging under their wings)?

First choice is not to engage the enemy fighters and continue with the
mission.
Second choice is to drop the bombs and engage the enemy fighters.
Third choice, selected only under dire circumstances, is to drop the bombs
and run for home.
There really isn't a fourth choice.

WWII fighters just didn't have the power to try and fight with bombs
attached.

Old March 20th 04, 11:23 AM
M. H. Greaves

I read a book recently about a fighter group who flew with one under wing
tank, and a bomb under the other, with P51's, the drag must have been
hellish!
The U.S. used the P47, and the P38's to great advantake for ground attack,
the RAF used the typhoon, the tempest, the beaufort, these are the most
prominent ones i can remember.
The P51's mainly carried two under wing tanks, which they used first, them
when the time came to dog fight, they would let them go; they had a big fuel
tank in behind the pilot to fall back on.
Any fighter bomber that had say small bombs would execute their primary
objectives first,i.e. drop the bombs first because to dog fight with a bomb
under neath could be too risky, the drag, extra weight, and the damger of
the bombs being hit while still attached., they would not be required to go
any great distance with the bombs; this was the medium, and heavy bombers
task, if the fighters carried a bomb or two they would be used to soften a
target with aswell as others straffing, and perhaps those doing the
straffing would cover thos carrying the bombs.

Old March 20th 04, 11:24 AM
Cub Driver

Would a fighter plane (say a P-51 or P-40 for example) that was on mission
to drop some tactgical bombs and encountered some any fighters generally
drop its bombs before engaging the enemy? or just try to run away? or fight
with them still hanging on (sounds pretty dangerous to me with the extra
weight and the BOMBs hanging under their wings)?

I suppose some pilots would jettison bombs and go for it, but I
suspect the preferred action would be to avoid air-to-air combat if he
could, and finish the mission before reverting to the fighter role.
Definitely not engage with the ordnance hanging on (or the drop-tank
either

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 20th 04, 11:25 AM
Cub Driver

I read a book recently about a fighter group who flew with one under wing
tank, and a bomb under the other, with P51's, the drag must have been
hellish!

Did the pilot pickle them off at the same time?

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 20th 04, 02:44 PM
Keith Willshaw

"M. H. Greaves" wrote in message
I read a book recently about a fighter group who flew with one under wing
tank, and a bomb under the other, with P51's, the drag must have been
hellish!
The U.S. used the P47, and the P38's to great advantake for ground attack,
the RAF used the typhoon, the tempest, the beaufort, these are the most
prominent ones i can remember.

The Beaufort was a twin engined bomber and you missed out the P-40
which was used heavily by the RAF , RAAF ad USAAF and the
Hurricane used extensively by the RAF and Soviets

Keith

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old March 20th 04, 04:08 PM
M. H. Greaves

yep i appreciate that i havent exhausted every aircraft there is; it was
just what i could remember at the time!
(i know; no offence meant, and none taken!!)

Old March 21st 04, 03:47 AM
Tony Williams

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
Would a fighter plane (say a P-51 or P-40 for example) that was on mission
to drop some tactgical bombs and encountered some any fighters generally
drop its bombs before engaging the enemy? or just try to run away? or fight
with them still hanging on (sounds pretty dangerous to me with the extra
weight and the BOMBs hanging under their wings)?

I suppose some pilots would jettison bombs and go for it, but I
suspect the preferred action would be to avoid air-to-air combat if he
could, and finish the mission before reverting to the fighter role.
Definitely not engage with the ordnance hanging on (or the drop-tank
either

Which reminds me - I read once that combat with a drop tank still
attached wasn't as hazardous a you might think (apart from the effect
on performance of course). If it was hit and set alight, the flames
went straight back and didn't set the plane alight. Not something I'd
care to try, though...

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old March 21st 04, 10:53 AM
M. H. Greaves

The book was "an ace of the eighth" by Norman "Bud" Fortier.
i bought it last october in edinburgh Either Waterstones or Ottakars on
princess st. It was about £5, which was partly why i bought it; i didnt have
much wonga on me and didnt have a book to read back in the caravan. Good
book!

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com