Overly restrictive business flying requirements.

Old August 23rd 03, 12:30 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message

v.net...

The more cowardly BS I see from these companies, the more I realize that

will only ever be happy with my own company.

And when you do own your own company, will you happily accept the
liability for your employees to fly their own planes on company
business? One accident could wipe you out.

I can also get killed crossing the street. Actually I do own my own company
and I let my people travel any way they choose.

I don't know if I'd call these companies "cowardly". In today's
legal environment, they're merely covering their butts. I can
certainly understand why.

I can understand why also, it's just that I don't bow to such restrictions.

Old August 23rd 03, 01:08 AM
John Gaquin

... I could probably become a commercial,
Part 135 operator in far fewer hours than the University minimums
required for flying myself.

Can you become a Part 135 operator with a Private certificate, 500 hours and
an Instrument rating?

...the University owns and flys a King Air, a Conquest, and a
couple of other passenger planes, and I believe a pilot would qualify
for these jobs before being able to fly himself legally on business in

Can you qualify for a job on a KA or Conquest with a Private certificate,
500 hours and an Instrument rating?

Did I miss something?

JG

Old August 23rd 03, 01:13 AM
John Gaquin

"Tom S." wrote in message news:Bew1b.68

The big difference is "COST". They'll gladly spend $5 a mile for an
executive, but want to reimburse 30 cents for other peons.

When your time is worth $3000/hour on their books, they might talk to you
about a G-V charter.

JG

Old August 23rd 03, 01:33 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Tom S." wrote in message

"RevDMV" wrote in message
m...
I agree with Rick, and others here, that is a most reasonable policy.
I do work for Toyota and GM, and you can't fly on GA, or chartered
aircraft. Only scheduled airline flights.

What do their executives fly on?

I'm not sure if that will
change when when/if they decided to build GA aircraft.

The big difference is "COST". They'll gladly spend $5 a mile for an
executive, but want to reimburse 30 cents for other peons.

That is because a jet makes economic sense when you are sending several
people who collectively cost $5000/hr and a corporate jet has about the same
risk as commercial air travel. Neither apply to having a lower wage,
private pilot employee fly himself.

A business exists to make money for its owners, not to accommadate the
hobbies and passions of its employees.

Mike
MU-2

Old August 23rd 03, 02:00 AM
Gerry Caron

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

The Army would reimburse private airtravel at the POV (automotive) rates

provided
we got our division chief to sign off on it being "more advantageous to

the government"
than other modes of travel. Actually, you needed the same sign off to

drive your
car on government business. Of course, it wasn't hard to prove that

personal car
travel was more advantageous as the alternative was to go out and rent a

car
instead (We used to do this).

The AF was the same way -- If you were flying *your* airplane. Problem was
that the TDY mileage rate wouldn't come close to covering your true
expenses. OTOH, if you rented a plane (typically from the aero club), they
considered it a "hired vehicle" and paid the full amount of the rental,
tiedowns, etc. up to the cost of the commercial airline ticket. And you
could use all travelers in your cost justification, so with two traveling
you could almost always cover the entire cost of the rental.

Old August 23rd 03, 10:39 AM
Tom S.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Tom S." wrote in message

"RevDMV" wrote in message
m...
I agree with Rick, and others here, that is a most reasonable policy.
I do work for Toyota and GM, and you can't fly on GA, or chartered
aircraft. Only scheduled airline flights.

What do their executives fly on?

I'm not sure if that will
change when when/if they decided to build GA aircraft.

The big difference is "COST". They'll gladly spend $5 a mile for an
executive, but want to reimburse 30 cents for other peons.

That is because a jet makes economic sense when you are sending several
people who collectively cost $5000/hr and a corporate jet has about the

same
risk as commercial air travel.

Yes...I know; I've known it for a long time. But $5000 is a lot for a few
hookers :~)

Neither apply to having a lower wage,
private pilot employee fly himself.

A business exists to make money for its owners, not to accommadate the
hobbies and passions of its employees.

How that last relates to the subject I'll have to figure out.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:50 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Tom S." wrote in message

A business exists to make money for its owners, not to accommadate the
hobbies and passions of its employees.

How that last relates to the subject I'll have to figure out.

Think about it.

Mike
MU-2

Old August 23rd 03, 06:26 PM
John Godwin

"Tom S." wrote in
:

What was IBM paying for the exec's Lear and Gulfstream expenses?

I'm not sure since the execs didn't own those particular aircraft. I don't
believe they got any operating reimbursements for flights taken in company
aircraft.

--
John Godwin
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT from email address)

Old August 24th 03, 01:19 AM
John Galban

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message v.net...
"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message

v.net...

The more cowardly BS I see from these companies, the more I realize that

will only ever be happy with my own company.

And when you do own your own company, will you happily accept the
liability for your employees to fly their own planes on company
business? One accident could wipe you out.

I can also get killed crossing the street. Actually I do own my own company
and I let my people travel any way they choose.

Are your "people" directly employed by your company and is the
business travel directly related to the business (not to-from work)?
I can't believe you'd have no restrictions whatsoever, as you imply
above. If an employee is a low-time VFR PPL you wouldn't mind if he
headed of to a job site in a complex single in marginal weather?
Granted, that's an extreme example, but it's the reason that most
companies have risk-management departments that issue draconian
restrictions. Given the current litigious climate (particularly in
aviation matters), you have to see a substantial benefit to private
flying on company business to justify the risk.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 25th 03, 12:56 AM
David Lesher

Dave Touretzky did a lot of work on his employer, a large university.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/dst/public/flying/ga-travel-policy.txt

--
A host is a host from coast to

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Associate Publisher Wanted - Aviation & Business Journals Mergatroide Aviation Marketplace 1 January 13th 04 08:26 PM
Associate Publisher Wanted - Aviation & Business Journals Mergatroide General Aviation 1 January 13th 04 08:26 PM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM