Aluminum differences

Old August 20th 04, 10:32 AM
Lou Parker

Default Aluminum differences

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 6061 T6 and 2024 T3
and 6063 T5 is?
Lou
Old August 20th 04, 02:02 PM
Mark Smith

Lou Parker wrote:

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 6061 T6 and 2024 T3
and 6063 T5 is?
Lou

,,,,,,,,,,,then you need to ask about the differences in all the T6's
--

Mark Smith
Tri-State Kite Sales http://www.trikite.com
Old August 20th 04, 03:52 PM
Allan Morrison

http://www.alu-info.dk/Html/alulib/modul/Aindex.htm
Old August 22nd 04, 11:53 AM
Stephen Mitchell

6063 is commercial cheese ... would be the lower strength of the three
alloys mentioned. Don't have data handly but you can find it on the web.

Nothing stopping you using it in an airplane if you select an appropriate
size to account for its lower strength. I have used it in some modifications
to a restricted category aircraft. Just be aware that you cannot by 6063 to
an accepted aeronautical spec such as QQ_A Fed Spec etc so you might want to
allow an extra margin of safety to account for the commercial nature of the
material.

om...

Old August 22nd 04, 11:43 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Stephen Mitchell" wrote:

6063 is commercial cheese ... would be the lower strength of the three
alloys mentioned. Don't have data handly but you can find it on the web.

Nothing stopping you using it in an airplane if you select an appropriate
size to account for its lower strength. I have used it in some modifications
to a restricted category aircraft. Just be aware that you cannot by 6063 to
an accepted aeronautical spec such as QQ_A Fed Spec etc so you might want to
allow an extra margin of safety to account for the commercial nature of the
material.

"Lou Parker" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 6061 T6 and 2024 T3
and 6063 T5 is?
Lou

Bottom line: DON'T do it! Real, aircraft grade aluminum is not all that
expensive -- just check the Airparts catalog or their ad in Sport
Aviation. 2024-T3 is the standard aircraft structural aluminum, and
substituting a lesser grade only adds weight and can reduce safety in
structural applications.
Old August 23rd 04, 09:54 AM
Philippe

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

6063 is commercial cheese ... would be the lower strength of the three
alloys mentioned. Don't have data handly but you can find it on the web.

Nothing stopping you using it in an airplane if you select an appropriate
size to account for its lower strength. I have used it in some
modifications to a restricted category aircraft. Just be aware that you
cannot by 6063 to an accepted aeronautical spec such as QQ_A Fed Spec etc
so you might want to allow an extra margin of safety to account for the
commercial nature of the material.

Bottom line: DON'T do it! Real, aircraft grade aluminum is not all that
expensive -- just check the Airparts catalog or their ad in Sport
Aviation. 2024-T3 is the standard aircraft structural aluminum, and
substituting a lesser grade only adds weight and can reduce safety in
structural applications.

Are you sure that all aircraft parts are designed for ultimate stress
ability. Sometime, it's for stability in compression and the best ultimate
resistance is not needed.
For example, a 0.5mm skin on a MCR01 is oversized.
Another example: Zenith aircraft don't use 2024.

By
--
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬

Old August 23rd 04, 11:39 AM
Stephen Mitchell

Yep you are right ... there are many cases where you don't want to use
2024-T3 just because it is the most common aircraft grade of alloy.

All alloys have the same modulus and hence commercial crap will perform just
as well as 2024-T3 or 7075-T6 etc in many applications where buckling is of
primary concern (NOT ALL THOUGH). Also there are many areas where stress is
not an issue but other issues such as formability, minimum bend radius,
availability, weldability and corrosion resistance are more important. I use
a lot of 6061-T6 to QQ-A-250/11 for these reasons in various applications.

However unless you know what you are doing just use what the designer
specified and don't try to cut corners to save a few bucks.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:30 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Philippe wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote:

[...]

You should note that I specified STRUCTURAL aluminum. Yes, nonstructural
parts are made for other reasons and have a places for other grades of
aluminum.

BTW, Zenith also uses pop rivets rather than driven rivets, so they
should not be used as an example.