So what happens when 100LL is gone anyway?

Old July 20th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

but what about all the
Navajos/Twin Cessnas/Barons/etc. where re-engining would cost more than
the aircraft?

My point three, Prism, is just for that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Nw,

And go to a Diesel which is Older Technology than Gasoline?

Look at the Thielert diesel again.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

TaxSrv,

I suspect the
profits of the UK company on this are enormous.

It's not just the company, it's the whole supply chain which is a
problem. For example, a truck carrying leaded fuel cannot be used for
unleaded fuel until after an elaborate and expensive cleaning
procedure. We have one single Avgas truck supplying the northern part
of Germany - it just doesn't pay to have more. So some airfields
sometimes have to wait for fuel. It's the beginning of an end, one
might think.
--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Michael,

someone will be doing exactly that, and
selling octane-boosting lead treatments for planes.

Yeah, but it would have to be an FAA-certified treatment. Can you see
the problem yet?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 10:46 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:18:15 -0700, "NW_PILOT"
wrote:

why don't you still drive your car you had in your 60's?

The car I had in the 1960s (I was not in my 60s then) was a VW Beetle
that would cost as much to put on the road today as my 2003 Honda.
Nobody has offered me a new Cessna for $15,500 (with air conditioning,
stereo, and floor mats).

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old July 20th 05, 10:51 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:22:33 +0200, Martin Hotze
wrote:

ah, the old myth again. don't compare your US diesels with our diesels.
sure, the technical principles always stay the same, but there is a big
difference at the end.

The diesels sold in the U.S. are the same as those sold in Europe,
assuming that's what you mean by yours and ours. This is a global
economy. And there isn't a whole lot of difference in the end:
particulates, especially. Diesels today are certainly a huge
improvement over the clanking Mercedes of yesteryear, but they are
still pretty smelly. And Diesel fuel costs more than gasoline at the
local pump, also a big change from yesteryear. This will only get
worse as their ratio in the fleet increases.

(One reason gas in the U.S. is so cheap--and it is cheap, even though
it has doubled in the past couple of years--is that the Europeans have
so thoroughly switched over to diesel that they have gasoline to
export. A lot of New England's gasoline comes from Holland. Thanks,
guys!)

Old July 20th 05, 10:53 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 11:00:05 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Yeah, but it would have to be an FAA-certified treatment. Can you see
the problem yet?

And why not? Mogas is already sold at the local airfield.

Old July 20th 05, 11:00 AM
Sylvain

Cub Driver wrote:

The diesels sold in the U.S. are the same as those sold in Europe,

I wouldn't be so sure about that; some of the european manufacturers
who make the best diesel engines don't even bother to export to USA
(e.g., Peugeot), and those who do, only export a subset of the
models they make (usually avoiding precisely the models with the
best gas milleage it seems, since the locals wouldn't buy anything
which would do better than 20 miles per gallon...:-) (I am only
half joking here, but since moving here (USA) I haven't been
able to find a car that matches the gaz mileage of what I was used
to in Europe 10 years ago (and I do include the so called 'hybrid'
gimmicks))

--Sylvain
Old July 20th 05, 12:34 PM
Thomas Borchert

Cub,

The diesels sold in the U.S. are the same as those sold in Europe,
assuming that's what you mean by yours and ours.

Well, you couldn't be more off the mark. A modern common-rail injected
turbocharged automotive diesel engine with particle filter or catalyzer
is something really, really rare on US roads. And no, it isn't smelly
at all.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 20th 05, 04:04 PM
Mike Rapoport

You obviously haven't been the Europe in the past ten years.

Mike
MU-2

"Sylvain" wrote in message
Cub Driver wrote:

The diesels sold in the U.S. are the same as those sold in Europe,

I wouldn't be so sure about that; some of the european manufacturers
who make the best diesel engines don't even bother to export to USA
(e.g., Peugeot), and those who do, only export a subset of the
models they make (usually avoiding precisely the models with the
best gas milleage it seems, since the locals wouldn't buy anything
which would do better than 20 miles per gallon...:-) (I am only
half joking here, but since moving here (USA) I haven't been
able to find a car that matches the gaz mileage of what I was used
to in Europe 10 years ago (and I do include the so called 'hybrid'
gimmicks))

--Sylvain

Nothing like a cold splash of 100LL in the face to wake up a pilot Peter R. Piloting 20 October 1st 04 11:25 PM
Future of 100LL? Michael Owning 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
Future of 100LL? Michael Piloting 0 August 2nd 04 09:29 AM
How blue is 100LL? Ben Jackson Piloting 26 May 1st 04 11:10 AM
When was the switch to 100LL? Roger Long Piloting 0 August 21st 03 11:01 AM