ELT

Old December 24th 05, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ELT

I am interested in a glider mounted ELT that
transmits on 406 MHz and 121.5 MHz for installing
in my ASW 27.

Thanks.

Doug Whitehead (EDW)

Old December 26th 05, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't think there are any.

I have a PLB which has both frequencies and a GPS to report my position.
It is not activated by a g-switch so you have to be conscious to activate
the unit. Several saves around the world so I would recommend it:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/per...ocatorbeacons/

"2BK"

"E. Douglas Whitehead" wrote in
message ...

Old December 26th 05, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Best price I've found for the ACR 406Mhz w/GPS built-in (Aquafix) is $500
after rebate. This is from

http://www.life-raft.com/

Shipping was same day. You have to call them by phone 800 743-7238 and tell
them you're a pilot to get "special" pricing - - lower than what's listed on
their website.

Note; there is a $50 mail-in rebate from ACR that expires for sales after 31
Dec.

I have no affiliation or interest in PSI or ACR. BTW, ACR's Aerofix, Aquafix
and Terrafix are identical except for case color - - so for ACR, get what's
cheapest!

all the best,

bumper
Minden, NV
ASH26E

Old December 26th 05, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug
I think it was your post I responded to on the gliderforum, but will
repeat myself here, just for you! First, there are units you can
purchase for your airplane for under $300 (AK450 I think?).

Be careful of the TSO approval for what you buy as it has changed. I am
thinking the new rating is TSO-C91a. You can keep a TSO-C91 ELT for
now, but cannot transfer one to another airplane.

Craig K

Old December 26th 05, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Bob Kibby" wrote in message
I don't think there are any.

Look at
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...t/ELT/ELT.html

scroll down the page to see ELT ME406 with 110-773 Whip Antenna, $998 or so.
It transmits on both 406 and 121.5. I think all the 406 Mhz PLBs (not
G-activated), are required to include a low-power 121.5 homing signal for
short range "homing" location.

There are 121.5 G-activated ELT's, like the AK-450, available for less than
$200. However, COPAS/SARSAT will not respond to 121.5 beyond 3 years. So
except for the contest requirement, I think it makes little sense to install
121.5 stuff now.

Prices should continue to drop on the 406, G-activated, permanent mount
ELT's. Hopefully a bunch before we are required to install them in powered
aircraft. For now, since I don't fly contests, a portable PLB for the glider
makes more sense since I'd like them to locate me rather than the glider.
Also, unlike the old 121.5 ELT's, the portable 406 PLB will remain viable
well into the future. Also, 406 is much more accurate, gets faster response,
and provides search personnel with more data than 121.5 stuff.

bumper

Old December 26th 05, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

bumper wrote:
"Bob Kibby" wrote in message
I don't think there are any.

Look at
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...t/ELT/ELT.html

scroll down the page to see ELT ME406 with 110-773 Whip Antenna, $998 or so.
It transmits on both 406 and 121.5. I think all the 406 Mhz PLBs (not
G-activated), are required to include a low-power 121.5 homing signal for
short range "homing" location.

I don't think it has GPS, since its accuracy is only within 3 km.
Old December 26th 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

That's correct. If you want to add GPS, the interface alone is another
$1300!! Oh, and you gotta provide the GPS too!

For now I'll just manually push the "please help me" buttons on my $500 ACR
Aquafix (406 w/GPS) and hold off replacing the 121.5 ELTs on my aircraft for
as long as possible 'till the prices on the permanently mounted units drop a
bunch. This is no problem on the glider, since there's no requirement for an
ELT in a glider (in the US by the FAA).

I'll have several new ELT's to buy for powered aircraft when the time comes.

all the best,

bumper

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message