Headset: Unexpected safety bonus

Old January 16th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Headset: Unexpected safety bonus

Clay wrote:

The only fault I find with the Bose is the need to keep an extra 9 volt
battery handy. If you leave them on, the battery will run down.

The new Bose X uses two AAs and has an auto-shutoff feature. They went to that a
few years ago. If you have one of the earlier Bose X models that uses the 9v
battery, you can get a replacement battery box/control unit for an exorbitant fee.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.
Old January 16th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I got a new Bose for Christmas. They now use two AA's and have an auto
shutoff feature. You can send your headset to Bose and have them put
that on yours if you want.

Clay wrote:
I sometimes fly an Aztec with a Bose headset. It makes a world of
difference with the ANR compared to a regular H10-13.4 David Clark.
The only fault I find with the Bose is the need to keep an extra 9 volt
battery handy. If you leave them on, the battery will run down. Not a
big deal to change out during flight. You can still hear ATC but you
will be getting the noise which would be normally filtered.

Old January 16th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"DT" == Don Tuite writes:

DT George and David answered the acoustical part (BTW, years ago,
DT before there were headsets, I used earplugs just to listen to
DT the speaker, for the reasons they give.), but as a
DT newly-returned-to -the-activity motorcycle rider, I note that
DT what you describe is pretty much what is necessary to pass the
DT m'cycle driving test in most states today.

Hey, could you tell our governor this trick? He needs to pass that
test too....
Old January 16th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:12:37 -0800, Bob Fry
wrote:

Hey, could you tell our governor this trick? He needs to pass that
test too....

I'd need to tell it to his stunt double.

Anyway, I credit those wax earplugs, used with the plane speakers,
with extending my flying time-to-fatigue greatly. I mostly like
today's headsets even better because of the boom mike and yoke-mounted
PTT.

Don
Old January 16th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
In addition to the ANR, I still use foam earplugs and then turn up the
radio. That makes it even clearer.

You put earplugs in your ears, and then turn up the volume?

Isn't that sorta like holding the brakes whilst flooring the accelerator?
What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

Ive done it too, Jay..

When I fly alone, and others arent there who dont have/wont use
earplugs.. I sometimes do that.

Most noise suppression occurs in lower frequencies, both with ANR and
the passive devices.

Most Radio audio is in the middle frequencies.. So in effect you
suppress LOTS of loud low freq engine noise and suppress minimal
voice-spectrum sound.

Dave
Old January 17th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

B A R R Y wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:13:43 GMT, Dave S
wrote:

Most noise suppression occurs in lower frequencies, both with ANR and
the passive devices.

Where did you ever get that idea about passive devices?

Check out the table at the bottom of:
http://www.aearo.com/pdf/hearing/OSHAComplyPackSellSheet.pdf

It's the attenuation chart for EAR foam earplugs.

In the case of these devices, attenuation starts to drop off as you
go down below 250 Hz, and there's a hole at 2k.

Thanks for the point out.. I was given bad info. You are right.

Dave
Old January 18th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"john smith" wrote in message
Vaughn, what were you using before you got the new headset?

FWIW: a Sigtronics S-2M-CE. It is old, but was at the factory for refurb
about two years ago. It now serves as my passenger unit.

Vaughn