I'm not a real Pilot?

Old April 2nd 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

Default I'm not a real Pilot?

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
d&tm writes:

I think you have a very distorted understanding of how much time and

money
it takes. I like many "weekend warriors" have a PPL and fly about 50

hours
per year. Hardly a huge time committment.

Five thousand dollars for fifty hours? A hundred dollars per hour? It

seems
to me a lot more economical to fly a sim for essentially zero dollars for

as
many hours as I have free time. Sure, a real aircraft is _real_, but you

have
to draw a line somewhere. Would you rather have 50 real hours than 500
simulated? How about 1 real hour versus 1000 simulated?

ask any pilot on this group how many hours of simulation he would exchange
for their first solo flight. Its a no brainer.

At some points, the
sim becomes more cost-effective. I suppose the threshold varies depending

on
exactly what you get out of flying. If most of what you enjoy is provided

in
simulation as well as real life, there's not much reason to fly for real.

If
you really must have things that come only with real flight (or only with

very
expensive simulators), then I suppose you have to settle for the

occasional
hour or two of flight in a real aircraft.

I am also married with 2 kids and
have a responsible job as an industrial chemist, hardly the most highly

paid
occupation. And no my kids dont suffer as a result of me spending 50

hours
away flying.

If you have enough income to blow $5000 a year just on 50 hours of flight,
you're doing very well.

I am doing OK. Many , many people would blow a similar amount of money or
even more on cigarettes and alcohol in a year. Many others would spend more
than that amount on cars when they could drive a cheaper car. I dont smoke,
dont drink a lot, and at 46 years of age have only ever had 1 new car, even
though I drive about 50,000 km every year.

In fact I think I set them a good example to go out and chase
their dreams instead of being like most people who waste their lives

making
excuses for all the things they wanted to do.

Chasing one's dreams is a good idea, but you still have to think about the
return on investment.

Now dont tell me someone who relies on handouts for groceries know all about
investment as well? The best investment advice I ever got was spend less
than you earn. I have always done this no matter how much I earn.

There are many ways to make money, if you have the right attitude. I am

no
expert on France but you supposedly came from the USA, the land of
opportunity where anyone can get rich. Not that you have to be

especially
rich to fly a single engine plane. To fly 50 hours per year , it cost me
about $5000 US. Why did you move to France if you have to live such a
miserable existance there?

Paris is actually a very nice city in which to live. The _only_

disadvantage
is the cost of living, and it's not the most expensive major city in the
world. But when you have nothing, the COL obstacle is significant. If

you
have money, I'd say there are few better cities in which to live in the

world.

What ever the problems you have got , if you can spend so much time playing
a computer game or using Usenet then you could be doing something to earn
money. You talk about money as if it is simply something that some people
have and some dont , like good looks.
I know a quadraplegic who earns $500 an hour singing. I know many people
who wouldnt have half your intelligence who through their enterprise make
more money than I do.

I dont expect anything of other people. I just think you are making

pretty
lame excuses for not getting off your butt and having a go. you are

trying
to justify that lame attitude by telling us how difficult it is.

The price is too high. People here are saying that if I'm not willing to

cut
off an arm to pay for flying, I'm not serious about it. That's completely
untrue. I just can't afford to dedicate such resources to it, and even if

could, I do have a life outside of aviation, and spending every spare

minute
and dime on flying would be a bit lopsided.

you obviously didnt read what I and others said. the time is insignificant
to be a private pilot. You clearly already do more studying about aviation
matters than almost all of the private pilots I know. Most of them learn
what they have to to pass the exam. As I said , I spend 50 hours a year
flying and perhaps another couple of hundred wishing I was flying .

Defeatist attitude. Why not just spill your guts and tell us what the
issues are and see if we cant actually help you.

You can't help me, but thanks.

and how many times have you told people " you cant know that" when you have
been told you cant do something?

The fact that you can read
and write , you can obviously walk and talk ( I know about your Paris

tour
guiding) says to me you could get in an airplane with an instructor and

have
a go.

Right now I make ends meet only thanks to handouts from friends and

relatives.
I can't really expect them to pay for flying lessons in addition to

groceries,
can I?

see above. You could get off your backside ( and I know you can because you
are happy to tramp around Paris and take pics and guide tourists) and find a
way to make a quid ( or a euro as the case may be). Heres a suggestion,
You can obviously read and write very well, you apparently teach English.
I know people who make good money proof reading, technical manuals and the
like. You can do it in your own home and your own time.

Of course it is easier, but then nothing much that is worth doing in

this
world is easy. When you are lying on your death bed will you look back

with
any sense of achievement that you "flew" a simulator?

It's not a sense of achievement, it's just something enjoyable to do, just
like flying a real airplane. I don't get anything out of either of these

as
_goals_, I only profit from them as _activities_.

Do you have any goals or aspirations in life?

It's a bit like chess. I have one of the lowest ratings in the Internet

Chess
Club, only a few places above the bottom (out of thousands of players).

But
that has never bothered me because chess is just an enjoyable activity for

me;
I don't care what my rating is, and I don't even care if I win or lose a

game,
as long as it's fun. People who are highly competitive and goal-oriented
might think I'm wasting my time, but it works well for me.

if you rely on handouts to feed yourself . you are CLEARLY wasting your
time. How can you justify taking handouts from people who have presumably
worked hard to pay for these, while you sit back and enjoy playing computer
games? Again I accept you have some health problems of some sort but they
cant be that constraining if you are prepared to tramp around Paris all day
as a tour guide.

In fact, if anything, I consider these "goals" to be discouraging

obstacles.
Why should I fly a real plane when I have to jump through so many hoops

and
spend so much money just to get a piece of paper that allows it, when I

can do
practically the same thing with a simulator?

I don't understand why so many pilots are down on simulators. I guess the
only viewpoints they can understand are their own.

i am not down on simulators at all, I am sure many find them good fun. I
have been meaning to get one myself one of these days. I just havent got
around to it. I would see it as something to kill a bit of spare time or to
wind down at the end of the day. I wouldnt see it as something more
important than earning a living.

Old April 2nd 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

d&tm writes:

Now dont tell me someone who relies on handouts for groceries know all about
investment as well?

Experience has taught me never to trust anyone. Nevertheless, I occasionally
slip and trust people when I shouldn't. Once such occasion concerned
investments. That's why I'm living on handouts today.

What ever the problems you have got , if you can spend so much time playing
a computer game or using Usenet then you could be doing something to earn
money.

The former requires only me; the latter requires clients or employers.

You talk about money as if it is simply something that some people
have and some dont, like good looks.

Hardly, although it's easier to earn money in some environments than in
others.

I know a quadraplegic who earns $500 an hour singing. I know many people
who wouldnt have half your intelligence who through their enterprise make
more money than I do.

They may be very extroverted, or simply dishonest.

you obviously didnt read what I and others said. the time is insignificant
to be a private pilot. You clearly already do more studying about aviation
matters than almost all of the private pilots I know. Most of them learn
what they have to to pass the exam. As I said , I spend 50 hours a year
flying and perhaps another couple of hundred wishing I was flying.

It sounds like an unhappy existence, with so much wishing and so little
gratification.

Maybe I'm better off not having flown. Were I to try it and develop the
addiction that some here have, I'd be permanently unhappy and frustrated
because I'd never be able to get in as many flying hours as I might like.

I don't think I'd become addicted to it, though. In fact, I think there's
about a 50/50 chance that I wouldn't like it.

I know people who make good money proof reading, technical manuals and the
like. You can do it in your own home and your own time.

That requires clients. The difficulty is not in being able to do something,
but in being able to find others who are willing to pay to have it done. And
often it's difficult to convince others that you know what you are doing,
since most are prejudiced by credentialism and ego.

Do you have any goals or aspirations in life?

I'd like to have as much money as possible. Other than that, nothing in
particular. Of course, there are many things that I would do if I could
afford to, including flying.

if you rely on handouts to feed yourself . you are CLEARLY wasting your
time. How can you justify taking handouts from people who have presumably
worked hard to pay for these, while you sit back and enjoy playing computer
games?

I don't spend my time playing games. I was only on VATSIM for two hours in
March, which is hardly what I'd call spending all my time playing games.

Again I accept you have some health problems of some sort but they
cant be that constraining if you are prepared to tramp around Paris all day
as a tour guide.

You can be in good health and still fail a medical.

i am not down on simulators at all, I am sure many find them good fun. I
have been meaning to get one myself one of these days. I just havent got
around to it. I would see it as something to kill a bit of spare time or to
wind down at the end of the day. I wouldnt see it as something more
important than earning a living.

Who said it was more important than earning a living? I'm just saying that
it's a satisfying and very low-cost alternative to flying for real.

It costs me nothing to fly a sim. For this reason, it is my main leisure
activity--anything else would cost money.

Old April 3rd 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:07:13 -0400, David wrote:

I normally invite those that tell me I'm not a real pilot to go up and fly
around in the clouds with me and see if they can land the plane.

Heh.

One thing I've learned as a parent: *everything* is an educational
opportunity, even if it is about the low grade of humanity that manages to
reproduce in apparent violation of Darwin. Seriously: if she sees how you
can shrug off that type of comment, she's a powerful tool in her quiver
(to pointedly mix metaphors {8^).

- Andrew

Old April 3rd 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I think it is a bit pompous in this day and age for
people mechanics to think they are more special than other professions.

A surgeon drives his car to the mechanic to have the clutch fixed, and
the mechanic says that basically, what the mechanic does and what the
surgeon does are the same. They open up the subject, they cut away what
needs removal, they put in what needs replacing, and they put it back
together. The surgeon says sure, but try doing it with the engine running.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 3rd 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...

Another similar comment I often encounter is that I am not a real
doctor because I did not go to medical school.

yeh , I ve copped that one too. I answer it back with real doctors have
doctorates. I dont actually ever use the title myself except when i phone
the medical doc at work and she answers as Dr. White. i always reply with
this is Dr. Mann. I think it is a bit pompous in this day and age for
people mechanics to think they are more special than other professions.
terry

Old April 3rd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

d&tm writes:

yeh , I ve copped that one too. I answer it back with real doctors have
doctorates. I dont actually ever use the title myself except when i phone
the medical doc at work and she answers as Dr. White. i always reply with
this is Dr. Mann. I think it is a bit pompous in this day and age for
people mechanics to think they are more special than other professions.

It's a bit pompous to put honorifics in front of one's name to begin with.

Old April 3rd 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
d&tm

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
I think it is a bit pompous in this day and age for
people mechanics to think they are more special than other professions.

A surgeon drives his car to the mechanic to have the clutch fixed, and
the mechanic says that basically, what the mechanic does and what the
surgeon does are the same. They open up the subject, they cut away what
needs removal, they put in what needs replacing, and they put it back
together. The surgeon says sure, but try doing it with the engine

running.

Jose
I was being a bit facetious with the people mechanic bit, I do actually
respect what a medical doctor does , well some of them, but I also respect
what an engineer or a scientist etc does,
and dont see why the medic desereves a special title.
terry.

Old April 4th 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I was being a bit facetious with the people mechanic bit

.... and I was taking the opportunity to insert a joke.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.