Thinking about buying a Zodiac XLi

Old January 7th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig601XLBuilder

Default Thinking about buying a Zodiac XLi

On 2008-01-07, Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:
I like the control stick and the sensitive controls, but others hate it for
just that reason.

Are they making any of the factory built LSAs with dual stick?

It's listed as a standard option in the current price sheet.

Well if you are as right handed as I am and you are ever going to be
flying and need to take notes get the dual sticks.
Old January 7th 08, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

On 2008-01-07, Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:
I like the control stick and the sensitive controls, but others hate it for
just that reason.
Are they making any of the factory built LSAs with dual stick?

It's listed as a standard option in the current price sheet.

Well if you are as right handed as I am and you are ever going to be
flying and need to take notes get the dual sticks.

I wasn't clear: they're installing it on all aircraft, standard. I'd lways
planned to get it.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
http://www.hercules-390.org (Yes, that's me!)
Old January 7th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig601XLBuilder

wrote:
If I were in the market to buy a factory-built SLSA, I'd have to go
for the RANS S-19LS

http://www.rans.com/S19achievesSLSA.htm

It's not IFR however, but I'm not too keen on taking anything smaller
than something and less powerful than a C182, Mooney, Dakota or
Bonanza into IMC.

There's imc and there is IMC. Plus there are those that just like to
file IFR even in perfectly clear weather for a X-C.
Old January 7th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Gig601XLBuilder" wrote in message
Strange because the Spar is under your knees.

OK, then SOMETHING hits you right in the middle of the back.

You think it sucks to close you ought to try building it.

I have no doubt! Even the simplest canopies are a bear to build. At least
the Zodiac canopy is hinged in the front. I am a "glider guy" & I can tell you
confidently that any other configuration is an accident waiting to happen.

Are they making any of the factory built LSAs with dual stick?

Without dual controls, how would you use it as a trainer? ...or even safely
check out a rental pilot?

Vaughn

Old January 7th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig601XLBuilder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
"Gig601XLBuilder" wrote in message
Strange because the Spar is under your knees.

OK, then SOMETHING hits you right in the middle of the back.

It's where the factory seat halves meet.

You think it sucks to close you ought to try building it.

I have no doubt! Even the simplest canopies are a bear to build. At least
the Zodiac canopy is hinged in the front. I am a "glider guy" & I can tell you
confidently that any other configuration is an accident waiting to happen.

Are they making any of the factory built LSAs with dual stick?

Without dual controls, how would you use it as a trainer? ...or even safely
check out a rental pilot?

Vaughn

The Y stick is in the middle is fine for two operators. In fact one nice
for training because there is no doubt who's hands are on the controls.
I've flown from both seats and just flying is fine. It's just that I am
the most right handed person you will ever meet as far as writing is
concerned and I tend to write a bunch of stuff down when flying.
Old January 7th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

"Gig601XLBuilder" wrote in message
The Y stick is in the middle is fine for two operators. In fact one nice for
training because there is no doubt who's hands are on the controls. I've flown
from both seats and just flying is fine. It's just that I am the most right
handed person you will ever meet as far as writing is concerned and I tend to
write a bunch of stuff down when flying.

Yep, when my head is full of PIC stuff, I can barely remember a squawk code
long enough to write it down. I can't fly without my kneeboard and pencil.

That brings up another very small issue I had with the Zodiac...and the fix
for it. As soon as the wheels left the ground for the first time, I realized
that my (very normal) kneeboard limited stick movement to the right. There is a
very simple fix for that, simply drape the kneeboard across the center console,
it provided a very stable surface for writing.

Vaughn

Old January 8th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_5_]

* *Yep, when my head is full of PIC stuff, I can barely remember a squawk code
long enough to write it down. *I can't fly without my kneeboard and pencil.

I recently came across a pilot aid device that strikes me as a really
good idea. It's called the ATIS Wheel, and it provides a very
convenient means of recording pertinent information for takeoff or
landing without doing any writing. I plan to buy one soon.

http://www.atiswheel.com/

David Johnson

Old January 8th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gig601XLBuilder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
[...]

Since I'm installing a Dynon 180 I'm going to have lots of extra panel
space. The only thing that is going to be on the panel extension between
the panel and the center console is the fuel tank selector. My current
plan is to put a clip like the one that is on a knee board in that space
so I'll have a nice little desk there.
Old February 25th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Maynard

I'm in Santa Rosa to get a few hours in the Zodiac XL at Dragonfly
Aviation. I got 1.4 hours of flight time today, familiarization and four
really lousy landings. Some comments:

On 2008-01-05, Vaughn Simon wrote:
In general, the thing seems fragile and "fussy" to me.

Considering the way I mistreated the one I was in today, fragile is about
the last word I'd use to describe it. The gear feels damn near
indestructible, as long as you land on the mains.

I like the control stick and the sensitive controls, but others hate it
for just that reason.

I don't know yet what I think about this. It's very sensitive, especially in
pitch; I was never able to establish an airspeed and get it to stay put.

No, and because of the shape and tilt of the tanks it is hard to tell how
much is in them.

We had that discussion. The guy said that you can tell how much is in them
by seeing how much fuel you can see just below the cap with the wings level;
if you can see blue at the corners, it's got about 9 gallons in it.

The gauges on the Zodiac seem to be excellent, particularly compared to
the POS in Cessnas.

This one has a Dynon EMS in it, and the gauges were a dream compared to the
usual untrustworthy Cessna crap.
Old February 26th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On 2008-01-05, Vaughn Simon wrote:
[...]

jay
rest your arm across your leg while flying to steady your hand.
stealth Pilot

Zodiac XL vs Rans S-19 vs Van's RV-12 Jim Logajan Home Built 12 July 2nd 06 10:31 PM
LSA - Zodiac CH601XL Al Home Built 11 January 12th 06 11:01 PM
Any opinions on Zodiac XL? JK Home Built 7 May 3rd 05 10:51 PM
Thinking about buying a Mooney Thomas Borchert Owning 46 August 15th 04 09:23 PM
Zenith Zodiac XL question Mick Home Built 4 January 14th 04 05:47 PM