What will ADS-B technology due to sailplane racing?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 4th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default What will ADS-B technology due to sailplane racing?

Please accept this as an exercise intended for educating the upcoming ADS-B mandate.

So we have a purely hypothetical late model sailplane registered FAA "EXPERMENTAL". It is equipped with a state of the art 5" in-panel flight computer (your favorite brand),a Mode S, 1090ES ADS-B out capable transponder such as the Trig TT-22 and a PowerFlarm.

Today, my understanding is if your sailplane is registered as "EXPERMENTAL", then you would be allowed to install non-TSO'd ADS-B equipment "meeting the PERFORMANCE requirements in TSO-C-166a" (72 FR 56947, 56971). The benefit here being lower cost non TSO'd hardware and not bearing the expense of FAA 337 STC installation.

So to the above, one would have to add an ADS-B "transceiver" which broadcasts your mode S transponder info to anyone capable of receiving it. More than likely, this ADS-B transceiver would process information out and in. And, more than likely this ADS-B transceiver would not use any existing "soaring" GPS and would include or require yet another GSP with WAAS certification. An example of such an ADS-B "in and out" transceiver exists being the NavWorx ADS600-EXP having a MSRP of $1299.00. See: http://www.navworx.com/products-ADS600-EXP.php

Currently, soaring flight computers are not ADS-B "in" capable but an iPad mini could be mounted and with the correct app, you could monitor all ADS-B "in" traffic and weather information. By 2020, its not a stretch to expect the latest flight computers to include WAAS certified GPS and ADS-B in and out capability. Where's that going to take us?

How do you think all this will impact sailplane racing and its current rules? How will the rules change to deal with all the "at instant" information? Will ADS-B "in and out" affect the use of PowerFlarm and eventually replace it?

In soaring years, I'm as old as dirt. My experience goes all the way back to the controversy of wooden versus plastic airplanes. I've been through all the wars and just like the current open versus stealth PowerFlarm argument, their have been some real doozies and many bloody noses. We all agree, more or less, you cannot ignore technology nor can you circumvent it with rules. Sailplane racing used to be a weekend pleasure sport for gentlemen pilots, but certainly that's not true today. It all changed...in my opinion for the worse...when GPS entered the cockpit and the digital age commenced. A good compass and chop sticks on a sectional was more challenging and certainly more fun.