New LX V7 Vario with Colibri II? (does NOT seem to work with ColibriII even with magic spells)

Old February 13th 12, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default New LX V7 Vario with Colibri II? (does NOT seem to work with ColibriII even with magic spells)

Soaring friends,

A number of us in the Midwestern USA and Canada are currently working on the integration of the new LX V7 Vario and new LX Navigation Colibri II Logger. The Nano works perfectly, the Colibri II has not worked after many very smart people with manuals (incomplete), soldering guns, Baud rates, wiring kits, null model adapters, etc have been tried every possible variable over several weeks.

Has anyone out there successfully used their Colibri II to drive the LX V7 Vario?

If so, could you please describe what you did to make it work? Please provide video evidence as we are highly skeptical that it is possible ;-). I may even post a reward.

It makes sense to me that the LX NAV V7 Vario and the LX NAV Nano work great. Both products are made by the same company (http://www.lxnav.com/). It is almost as if the Colibri II guys, LX Navigation (http://www.lxnavigation.si/avionics/...ecorders.html), have taken steps to engineer out the ability out of the Colibri II integrating to the V7 as they are now competitors.

On paper this should be so simple...trust me, it is not!

Sincerely,

Sean
F2
Old February 13th 12, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Feb 13, 12:42*pm, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

I have a Colibir II - V7- Oudie running in a panel. I have
connected and get GPS data. I have also declared a task.

Can't the dealer that sold you the equipment help? If not call and
I will help you.

Please all have set up on a bench and it will only take a couple of
minutes.

Thanks,

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 13th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Richard. I will have one of these guys call you.
Old February 16th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

Worked for me out of the box and 2 minutes of setup. Granted, the
manual could use some more clarity, but, hey - they're both new
products and they all suffer from teething pains. Let's not forget:
1. this is a small customer base (compared to other industries); and
2. it would be difficult to test and publish all possible combinations
of GPS sources.

So far, I am impressed with both products and I can't wait to fly with
them!

Cheers,

Derek
Old February 17th 12, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

So Derek what was the trouble / trick in the setup?

Can you walk us thru it step by step (basic config of the Colibri 2)?

Congrats! I think I am going to go with the same stuff although my nano works great!

Sean
Old February 19th 12, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morteza Ansari

On Feb 17, 7:00*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
So Derek what was the trouble / trick in the setup?

Can you walk us thru it step by step (basic config of the Colibri 2)?

Congrats! *I think I am going to go with the same stuff although my nano works great!

Sean

I have a similar setup and finally got a chance to fly with it. The V7
is great and I really like the Colibri II. The audio vario in it is
actually usable if I lose power in my panel. I think it is a great
backup option in case you lose power as it provides basic navigation
and some level of audio vario capability.

I have a ton of questions for how V7 does its navigation
functionality, but the vario/air functionality was right on the money
and worked flawlessly. I think I will be pretty happy with this
setup. BTW, the screen readability was excellent even with a low sun
shining from behind.

And one more note about the dealer. Richard was exceptionally helpful
in getting info from before the product was available to helping with
questions during installation. Thanks Richard!

Morteza
Old February 20th 12, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I bought one too (CII) just for giggles.

Probably will keep the Nano as a backup until the PowerFLARM boys turn on their logger function.

Richard is very nice, agreed!

Sean
Old February 21st 12, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

The setup was simple - no trouble/tricks or other anguish:

1. On the V7, set the GPS baud rate to 11900 bps (per the Colibri II
manual)
2. On the Colibri II, set the NMEA checkboxes on GGA & RMC.

The NMEA selections are probably what was giving people fits, as it's
not listed in either manual, I suspect because each manufacturer
probably feels that those options belong in each others' setups. GGA
and RMC were shown in the original Colibri manual and my old WinPilot
setup instructions, so I tried that first, and it worked.

Cheers,

Derek
Old February 22nd 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Thanks Derek. I have one on the way...will be cool if it all works out.
Old February 26th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

A little finger trouble with my post: See the correct baud rate
below...

1. On the V7, set the GPS baud rate to 19200 bps (per the Colibri II