Got my ground instructor ratings

Old July 4th 05, 08:48 AM
Yossarian

Default Got my ground instructor ratings

I was looking for something interesting to do while I build hours towards
my commercial certificate, so I decided to get my ground instructor
ratings. I took 3 exams Friday.

Fundamentals of Instruction: 90%
Advanced Ground Instructor: 90%
Instrument Ground Instructor: 96%

They were all pretty easy since I just had my instrument checkride a couple
weeks back. I used the Gleim books for a week to get ready for the first 2
and didn't study at all for the IGI.

As soon as I get to the FSDO I'll be certified to teach the classroom
portion of pilot training for any rating. I'll also be able to sign folks
off for any knowledge test as well as do the ground part for an IPC. Kinda
odd that I can sign people off for knowledge tests that I haven't taken
myself.

The cool part is that my own flight instructor hates teaching ground
school, so she's gonna send her students my way. It doesn't pay much but I
think it will be fun to try something new.
Old July 4th 05, 02:45 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 02:48:04 -0500, Yossarian
wrote in 2::

It doesn't pay much but I think it will be fun to try something new.

Congratulations on your new ratings.

Consider also, that you are now probably qualified to teach college
night school aviation grounschool classes.
Old July 4th 05, 03:07 PM
Dave S

Larry Dighera wrote:

Consider also, that you are now probably qualified to teach college
night school aviation grounschool classes.

The technical colleges in my area tell me their "instructors" require 3
years experience in their fields before they are considered able to
teach in their settings. That may be a local, or State of Texas
requirement. There may be similar obstacles in your locale.

Not saying you ARENT qualified, just saying if the college sponsors the
course and you are hired as part time faculty to teach, you may have
other requirements to meet other than just holding an FAA cert.

Old July 4th 05, 04:22 PM
BTIZ

if you have not already.. go take your commercial written.. it's good for 2
years but you know that..
you are obviously ready for it..

BT

7.142...

Old July 4th 05, 04:23 PM
BTIZ

I'm sure there are a few FBOs that would welcome someone setting up a couple
of ground school courses..

BT

"Dave S" wrote in message
k.net...

Old July 4th 05, 08:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 14:07:57 GMT, Dave S
wrote in t::

The technical colleges in my area tell me their "instructors" require 3
years experience in their fields before they are considered able to
teach in their settings.

I know of an CFII who began substituting for the regular collage
instructor, and now teaches his own ground school classes at the
college.
Old July 6th 05, 01:29 AM
buttman

Have you taken the CAX? how hard is it compared to the AGI? How hard is
the IGI compared to the IRA?

Old July 6th 05, 02:21 AM
Dave S

the IGI and Instrument Rating, Airplane questions are taken from the
EXACT same test bank. You may even see some of the same questions when
taking the two tests.

I believe the IGI is a little shorter.

Dave