First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

Old February 11th 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Default First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:49:29 -0600, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Roger" wrote)
I don't know what it is about that site, but my firewalls and blockers
will not accept it. At least one of them has it on the blocked list.

Try YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTemKnL8X30

Strange, U-Tube works, but it also blocks the CNN site video.
I also saw the other U-tube clip but that one did not appear to show
the tow rope impact as did this one.

In the first video it appeared he just pulled the nose up and then
blew the chute. In the second one you can see the tow rope.

Now if he'd just get smart enough to fly the airplane and have some
one else do the photography, or will he be like the guy we had at the
airport that ran out of gas three times in a couple of months before
trashing a 172. Then he had another one for maybe 6 months before he
stalled the engine on a taxiway, got out and propped it (battery was
dead) but forgot to retard the throttle. It left without him and ended
up in the trees on the SW corner of the airfield. About 6 months later
he piled up and Emeraud putting himself and another guy in the
hospital. They did both survive and the Emeraud is flying. (different
pilot):-)).

Mid-air

Montblack

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 11th 07, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_1_]

I have a piece of old technology called a map that I use for primary
navigation (yes, I still draw my course on the chart for every
cross-country flight) and the GPS is used to give me a quick check of my
groundspeed and a quick check. I do have the capability to fly to/from
a VOR with my Icom handheld. I don't have an electrical system in my
plane...and...what good is flying to/from a VOR in a plane that does
have an electrical system and that electrical system fails (assuming
they are not carrying a handheld for backup)? We all have to revert
back to using a map.

Scott

Mxsmanic wrote:

Scott writes:

VORs? Who flies over VORs? GPS eliminated VOR in my vocabulary in 1993

Anyone who wants to stay safe in the air flies VORs periodically. I practice
it regularly.

What will you do when GPS is jammed in your area?

Old February 11th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Recently, Kev posted:

On Feb 10, 4:20 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Jim Carriere" wrote

Hmm! At first glance that conclusion seems counterintuitive, but I
guess you learn something new every day.

But leaving an event up to chance as the avoidance mechanism, is not
something that sits well with people. I have to feel that way, in
that the results of "winning" the odds are so dire.

Absolute agreement. To me, it's a good reason to be "heads up" when
flying over VORs, since they can really concentrate aircraft. Most
of us are spending more time on the gauges watching for the arrow to
change.

Still, maybe it's a non-issue, since we don't seem to hear of lots of
collisions around VORs. Seems like mid-airs are mostly around
airports. Anyone know the real stats of locations offhand?

I don't know the stats, but I lost a friend in this exact scenario about a
year ago. His plane (homebuilt Lancair) overtook a C-172 with an IFR
student and instructor near a VOR. All were killed. I've avoided
overflying VORs since then.

Neil

Old February 11th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Scott writes:

I have a piece of old technology called a map that I use for primary
navigation (yes, I still draw my course on the chart for every
cross-country flight) and the GPS is used to give me a quick check of my
groundspeed and a quick check.

I get the impression that the only map that many newer pilots look at is the
one that glows in a small rectangle in the cockpit of the aircraft.

Old February 11th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:28:23 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:

Scott writes:

I have a piece of old technology called a map that I use for primary
navigation (yes, I still draw my course on the chart for every
cross-country flight) and the GPS is used to give me a quick check of my
groundspeed and a quick check.

I get the impression that the only map that many newer pilots look at is the
one that glows in a small rectangle in the cockpit of the aircraft.

Hell, no, mine don't glow! :-)

Ron "Far out, man!" Wanttaja
Old February 11th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_1_]

Nope...mine are made of paper and have as many folds as an accordion

Scott

Old February 12th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Scott wrote
... [My maps] are made of paper and have as many folds as an accordion

Both my son and I thought one of the most difficult aviation skills to
master was folding and refolding charts while flying.

I take it back. We still don't have it mastered.

Old February 12th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:06:29 -0700, "Jon Woellhaf"
wrote:

Scott wrote
... [My maps] are made of paper and have as many folds as an accordion

Both my son and I thought one of the most difficult aviation skills to
master was folding and refolding charts while flying.

Try it in an open cockpit. Typically, it just ends up getting mashed under my
butt.... :-)

Ron "How do I clew this thing up" Wanttaja
Old February 12th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

wrote:

Scott wrote
... [My maps] are made of paper and have as many folds as an accordion

Both my son and I thought one of the most difficult aviation skills to
master was folding and refolding charts while flying.

Try it in an open cockpit. Typically, it just ends up getting mashed under my
butt.... :-)

Ron "How do I clew this thing up" Wanttaja

In my day we didn't have maps. We used IFD (I follow dinosaurs) rules.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 12th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_1_]

I do use mine in an open cockpit! One thing I learned is to KEEP them
under my butt between check points. Also, keep it there when doing
aggressive slips on short final. In a Junior Ace, this creates a lot of
suction on the high side of the cockpit...had to walk off the approach
end at a fly in once to get my maps back

Scott