Heart trouble

Old July 14th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Heart trouble

C J Campbell writes:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

That's where flight simulation comes in handy.
Old July 19th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

C J Campbell writes:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

That's where flight simulation comes in handy.

No, it doesn't

Bertie
Old July 14th 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
James Sleeman

C J Campbell wrote:
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status,

P'shaw, plenty of other ways to get high, Sport Pilot, Ultralight,
Lawn Chair...

Old July 14th 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Allen[_1_]

"James Sleeman" wrote in message
oups.com...
C J Campbell wrote:
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status,

P'shaw, plenty of other ways to get high, Sport Pilot, Ultralight,
Lawn Chair...

And he can still instruct without a medical, just not where he is required
to be pilot-in-command.

Allen

Old July 15th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

C J Campbell wrote:
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status,

P'shaw, plenty of other ways to get high, Sport Pilot, Ultralight,
Lawn Chair...

And he can still instruct without a medical, just not where he is required
to be pilot-in-command.

Allen

True. Most of my 'students' are advanced ratings like commercial and
flight instructor anyway. And I can still do BFRs. I would miss the
private pilots, though.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old July 15th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:36:28 -0700, C J Campbell
wrote:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

If you're otherwise healthy, odds are that it will be controllable (drug
therapy) or correctable (some reversible cause; conversion; or a procedure
called ablation) and that you'll be able to fly.

How long you won't be able to fly depends on too much information to glean
here.

But, when I was in practice, I had a number of patients who had atrial
fibrillation who qualified for 2nd and 3rd class Medicals. I don't know
about 1st class Medicals -- but that's only because I did not see anyone
for whom that was an issue.

You will be best off having this treated by a Cardiologist and, if you can
find one who is also a pilot, that would be ideal.
--ron
Old July 15th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

wrote:

It appears that I am having a little bit of trouble with my heart. It
came on rather suddenly, as an EKG last December showed no problem at
all. But apparently I have developed something called an atrial
fibrillation. It doesn't look good for my flying status, but we shall
see.

If you're otherwise healthy, odds are that it will be controllable (drug
therapy) or correctable (some reversible cause; conversion; or a procedure
called ablation) and that you'll be able to fly.

How long you won't be able to fly depends on too much information to glean
here.

I guess I find out more Monday. I suppose some of it depends on what
caused the problem in the first place.

Old July 16th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
pgbnh

There are a series of heart symptoms listed in the FAR's that constitute
cause for 'self-grounding' (see 67.). AF is not listed as a condition that
requires you to ground yourself. You can choose to, but if a cardiologist
says you are OK, then I believe you can continue to fly.
The problem comes with the next medical where you must declare the condition
and your treatment. You should expect to have to do the following:
1. Go through a maximal stress test
2. Get a letter from cardiologist indicating his/her judgement of the state
of your cardiac health as well as any and all medications.
3. Possibly produce the results of a Holter Monitor (24 hour EKG).
4. You MAY have to go the 'Special Issuance' route, which means you can plan
on doing 1,2,3 every year.

Not for AF, but I have been doing this process for the last 7 years. PITA,
but I have my medical

If you are a member, call AOPA

Old July 16th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-07-16 14:34:46 -0700, "pgbnh" said:

[...]

Thanks, everyone. You guys really are a great bunch. Now we shall see
what the cardiologist says.