Flying out of JFK

Old March 14th 05, 10:43 PM
Chuck

Default Flying out of JFK

Hi,
I will be flying out of JFK on 18 April at 400P and returning to JFK on
30 April at 725P. I'm thinking of flying my Archer from Cleveland to
somewhere in the area (no, I don't want to go into JFK, ha ha) and
leaving her there for the couple of weeks. Any suggestions will be
appriciated. I will probably plan to spend the night of the 30th and
fly back on 1 May. Hotel suggestion near where the Archer will be
staying. Suggested transportation from Archer to JFK.
Thanks to all.

Chuck

Old March 15th 05, 03:28 AM
Ron Garret

In article .com,
"Chuck" wrote:

(no, I don't want to go into JFK, ha ha)

Why "ha ha"? I flew (actually was flown) into JFK once in a Comanche to
catch a flight to Europe. Aside from having to know what you're doing,
it wasn't a particularly big deal. (It was pretty darn cool though.)

rg
Old March 15th 05, 03:38 AM
George Patterson

Ron Garret wrote:

In article .com,
"Chuck" wrote:

(no, I don't want to go into JFK, ha ha)

Why "ha ha"? I flew (actually was flown) into JFK once in a Comanche to
catch a flight to Europe. Aside from having to know what you're doing,
it wasn't a particularly big deal. (It was pretty darn cool though.)

If you left your plane there for two weeks (as Chuck is planning to do), then
you have way more money than sense. Or I guess that should be "had."

That's why the "ha ha."

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 15th 05, 04:13 AM
Ray Bengen

Republic nearby, KFRG, has lots of options and not too far from Kennedy.
Catch a Super Shuttle or a cab.

Ray

Old March 15th 05, 12:11 PM
Denny

I have RON at Cleveland Hopkins, leaving the airplane at the Jet
Center... Landed at night as #2 with only a 757 in the pattern ahead of
me... Left at 5:30 AM and had the taxiways and the runway to myself...
It never hurts to make a few phone calls to the business jet FBO's at
JFK and you may find it possible, or not... But if you don't check, you
won't know...

denny

Old March 15th 05, 02:34 PM
David Lesher

"Denny" writes:

I have RON at Cleveland Hopkins, leaving the airplane at the Jet
Center... Landed at night as #2 with only a 757 in the pattern ahead of
me... Left at 5:30 AM and had the taxiways and the runway to myself...

Both PaulaJ and I are from Cleveland, and it's no Jack Kennedy....

Not so long ago, there was a GA tiedowns and quad hangars in the
back corner. I think it was a runway expansion that was the excuse
took them out, but it was driven by local politics. I'd guess the
Jet Center will be homeless as well; isn't it based in the old
bomber/tank plant?

[CLE is in Cleveland, but the abutting circa 1941 Fisher bomber plant
{locally called "The Tank Plant" as later it made...} was in Brookpark.
The two cities fought over that land for 3+ decades. Cleveland claimed
they needed it for expansion, but after it became the "IX Center"
and started competing with the downtown Convention Center, it got
even more vicious. Last I heard, they had settled with Cleveland
getting the plant and Brookpark getting NASA. But now Cleveland
somewhat realizes an airport expansion is not in the cards, and with
NASA-LeRC cutting back, there goes Brookpark's payroll tax income....]

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old March 15th 05, 04:19 PM
David Lesher

"Denny" writes:

I have RON at Cleveland Hopkins, leaving the airplane at the Jet
Center... Landed at night as #2 with only a 757 in the pattern ahead of
me... Left at 5:30 AM and had the taxiways and the runway to myself...

Both PaulaJ and I are from Cleveland {Hopkins}, and it's no Jack Kennedy....

Not so long ago, there was a GA tiedowns area and quad hangars in
the back corner. I think it was a runway expansion that was the
excuse took them out, but it was driven by local politics. I'd guess
the Jet Center will be homeless as well; isn't it based in the old
bomber/tank plant?

[CLE is in Cleveland, but the abutting circa 1941 Fisher bomber
plant {locally called "The Tank Plant" as later it made...} was in
Brookpark. The two cities fought over that land for 3+ decades.
Cleveland claimed they needed it for expansion, but after it became
the "IX Center" and started competing with the downtown Convention
Center, it got even more vicious. Last I heard, they had settled
with Cleveland getting the plant to tear down, and Brookpark getting
NASA in its tax base {but since it's federal land, it pays no property
tax..}.

But now Cleveland somewhat realizes another airport expansion is

Old March 15th 05, 04:48 PM
Ron Garret

In article ,
George Patterson wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

In article .com,
"Chuck" wrote:

(no, I don't want to go into JFK, ha ha)

Why "ha ha"? I flew (actually was flown) into JFK once in a Comanche to
catch a flight to Europe. Aside from having to know what you're doing,
it wasn't a particularly big deal. (It was pretty darn cool though.)

If you left your plane there for two weeks (as Chuck is planning to do), then
you have way more money than sense. Or I guess that should be "had."

That's why the "ha ha."

Ah, good point. I was flown in, and the pilot turned right around and
flew back out again.

rg
Old March 16th 05, 03:27 PM
Denny

Hey Chuck, what have you come up with for leaving the plane?

denny

Old March 16th 05, 05:05 PM
Marco Leon

Republic is probably the best option because of the multiple FBO's and its
proximity to JFK. You can take a cab ride to JFK or a cab ride to the Long
Island Railroad (5 mins from FRG) and take the AirTrain from Jamaica
station. For $5 the AirTrain will take you directly to your terminal. LIRR
will run you about $10 each. Depending on how much luggage you have, you may
want to pay for a cab/car service.

As for FBOs, Long Island Jet Center (631-843-9488) is probably cheaper than
Atlantic Aviation (631-752-9022) for parking fees but call both to compare.
Both may be able to courtesy-car you to the train station if you choose that
mode.

Good luck.

Marco Leon

news