Thermal Mapping

Old November 6th 05, 10:22 AM
Chris Davison

Default Thermal Mapping

Does anyone have any experience or interest in mapping
thermals, finding hotspots etc, via software like Winpilot.
My first attempt, based on 600 igc files (!) has revealed
there are a lot of thermals out there...but I'm struggling
to derive any information from the data. What I'd
like to end up with is a 'probability map' that shows
the areas that have historically generated thermals
on multiple days...as opposed to sources of a single
thermal that have attracted multiple gliders (i.e.
a huge gaggle). I'm sure there must be folks out there
who have done more on this? I can't find a user group
that already focuses on this, so I've just started
one:

But if there is already an existing group, please let
me know and I'll join that!

Cheers
Chris

Old November 6th 05, 02:37 PM

Use Google Groups search capability on RAS using 'thermal mapping"

One:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...1dcb beb2dc80

You can certainly get igc files more readily today, but if you get
enough of them you may find *everywhere* is a good place for a thermal
to exist. And would you really use a database of potentials while in
the cockpit? or would you more likely tend to look around above and
below your position for the usual clues rather than aim towards a spot
in space that ranks high in the database?

Instead map all the gravel pits (by the way we need lots MORE of these
around!!), huge parking lots, industrial heat generators like auto
plants, etc. and then ask cross country pilots where they have their
favourite 'hot spots'.. then be prepared to change the list each year
as crops and conditions change.

But it's along winter ahead, and if it looks interesting to you keep
going!

Best regards,
Bob

Old November 6th 05, 03:41 PM
bumper

I've only tried this Winpilot feature once, using IGC info from a contest at
Minden, NV. It was a blue day with no thermal clues other than wind
direction and ground features.

Several times I headed towards the historical thermal location, and each
time bumped into a strong thermal patiently waiting for me exactly where it
was supposed to be.

The Winpilot feature works as it's supposed to. But there's just so darn
many great thermals at Minden, and across the high desert east of the
Sierra, that there's not much need for technology to find them. (Though if
someone sent me the file, I guess I'd use it :c).

bumper

oups.com...

Old November 6th 05, 04:30 PM

Chris,

I am the WinPilot Dealer for the US and have used the Thermal function
of WinPilot for many years. I have an extensive thermal database for
the Montage area USA (6 years of all my flights and all national and
regional contests for this site). I also developed a data base for the
Minden area.

What I found:

WinPilot can show all thermals or limit them by sun time and wind.
When you limit make sure the Ipaq time is set correctly.
The database is more effective in mountainous areas. I found it
effective in Minden and in Montague. Ephrata WA it did not work well.
Mostly flat terrrain in agricultural areas in this area.

I found it is most useful to find routes to specific turnpoints or
areas. Much better to fly in the black areas many thermals than the
areas with no thermal history.

If you want the thermal database for Montague and Minden please email
me.

Richard Pfiffner
www.craggyaero.com

Themi thermal locator John Jones Soaring 5 April 30th 04 04:16 AM
For Auction: Thermal Imaging Camera - One Day Left sell2all Rotorcraft 0 April 29th 04 08:29 PM
Thermal mapping John Soaring 35 April 27th 04 04:29 PM
Spin on thermal entry - how-to Bill Daniels Soaring 0 January 29th 04 05:43 PM
Thermal to Wave contact! C.Fleming Soaring 1 January 21st 04 01:54 PM