What's next for Garmin handhelds? NEW 296

Old March 19th 04, 01:37 AM
MichaelR

Default What's next for Garmin handhelds? NEW 296

Garmin 296 color spotted at Sporty's:

http://sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?...roduct_id=6656

"R. Hubbell" wrote in message

Any prognosticators out there that know what's next from Garmin in
the handheld category? I like the size of the Airmap 1000 but I also
like the company, Garmin, a little better.

R. Hubbell

Old March 19th 04, 01:53 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:37:34 -0500, "MichaelR"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

Garmin 296 color spotted at Sporty's:

http://sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?...roduct_id=6656

$1.7k for topography display. I'd be curious about how the addition
of a color display affects battery life.

Old March 19th 04, 11:58 AM
CFLav8r

$1.7k for topography display. I'd be curious about how the addition
of a color display affects battery life.

If you have it plugged into the a/c power source it wouldn't matter.
I have the marine version of this unit and it does consume quite a bit of
power when you back-light it.
What I don't understand is why it took Garmin a whole two years to put the
color version on the market when their marine counterpart has been out there
for that amount of time.
Were they waiting for everyone that was going to buy the black and white
version to do so? Then they would introduce the color version and get some
of the same buyers to upgrade.
I guess it makes business sense.

David (KORL)

Old March 19th 04, 12:50 PM
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:58:43 GMT, "CFLav8r"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

If you have it plugged into the a/c power source it wouldn't matter.

True; it wouldn't matter if the hand held GPS were not intended as a
backup during an electrical system failure.