AOPA credit card --- WARNING.

Old November 26th 04, 11:16 PM
Dave Stadt

"Chuck" wrote in message
om...

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Chuck" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
Nobody is *forcing* you to buy what you can't currently afford, you

know.
Back before credit cards existed, people actually saved up money

ahead
of
time for major purchases, instead of all this "buy now and pay later"
instant gratification stuff.
If I get a new job and have to go to Sears and buy $2,000 worth of

tools,
will not be able to pay the balance off in one month. But I gotta have

the
tools if I want the job.

And if you get a bank loan instead of carrying it on your credit card,

the
interest rates will be *much* lower and won't go up on a banker's whim.

That's what I did when I needed a $5000 computer to set up my computer
consulting business right out of college. Ok, initially I was stupid

and
used a credit card, but I changed to a bank loan as soon as I could get
one.

That's fine, but what if my credit is poor and I can't get a bank loan?

Go see a financial advisor that specializes in helping folks in your
condition. No matter what, credit cards are not the answer to your problems.

Old November 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Judah

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Judah wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote in
:

Mike V. wrote:

Snip

... The unknown downside is that this passive
approach likely would have encouraged more 9/11 like attacks and the
cost of them would have been horrendous.

Matt

Your presumption is that there will not be anymore 9/11 like attacks.

Your presumption is wrong. My presumption is that there would be more
attacks under an administration with Clinton-like policies than under
one with Bush-like policies. Since the Twin Towers and Pentagon attacks
were conceived, planned and partially executed (the flight training)
under Clinton, I count a good portion of that against him as well. I
never suggested that we'd be free of attacks. I don't think that is
likely anytime soon.

Matt

Even if you count the Twin Tower and Pentagon attacks against Clinton, your
missing the point. We have had as many attacks on US soil during the first
4 years of Bush Presidency as we had in the entire 8 years that Clinton was
in office. Why would that lead you to believe that Clinton-like policies
would produce MORE attacks than Bush's?
Old November 26th 04, 11:28 PM
Chuck

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
k.net...

"Chuck" wrote in message
news

I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I need
credit from time to time for necessities...

Is your computer a luxury or a necessity?

I said "very many luxuries". Never said that I didn't have *any*

My PC is a luxury as well as my DSL, although it's only $5 more a month than
dial up, and so is my Dish Network, but I only have the basic package. Those
are my luxuries... What are yours?

---

Old November 26th 04, 11:35 PM
Chuck

"iflyatiger" wrote in message
Chuck

I feel for you man ... I hope this turns around for you soon...

My theory is that peoples complete financial future can be determined to
some extent by their financial start. You can start out the plus side or

the
negative side of it . And it can all be changed by the opportunity you

were
given in business, maybe by the help your parents gave you when you were
young ( helping you to buy your first car, etc..)
or on the flip side by any bad turn of events that might have happened to
you along the way.

Everyone can tell you how foolish it is for you to use a credit card but
from your description of your situation it is understandable that you do
what you have to do... It is easy to tell other people what they should do
but until they are in the same exact situation as you it doesn't carry as
much weight.

I have been very lucky to have been given a few breaks when I was young

that
allowed me to start out on the plus side of the money curve. And I have

made
sure that I thanked both of my past bosses for the break / opportunity

that
they gave me back then.

Good luck and take care.

Thanks Jon...

I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to become financially stable. I
am confident that someday, I will finally be there also! Just wondering
when!! haha

I have made a few bad choices in the past (waiting until I was almost 40 to
go to college, etc...), but hopefully it is all behind me...

sarcasmI know that I can count on the moral support from my fellow
aviation buffs.../sarcasm

---

Old November 26th 04, 11:44 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

om...

"Chuck" wrote in message
news

I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get a
real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I
need
credit from time to time for necessities...

Is your computer a luxury or a necessity?

I said "very many luxuries". Never said that I didn't have *any*

My PC is a luxury as well as my DSL, although it's only $5 more a month
than
dial up, and so is my Dish Network, but I only have the basic package.
Those
are my luxuries... What are yours?

Mine are not an issue. I'm not complaining about credit card policies while
purchasing luxuries. You are.

Old November 26th 04, 11:48 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll"
said:
"mike regish" wrote in message
Using the wrong excuse to invade Iraq.
Many reasons were given for invading Iraq. Which were wrong?

All of them.

You say that because you don't know the reasons given for invading Iraq.

I know the reasons that were given to the public and the UN beforehand.
Every single one of them was either wrong or an outright lie. As for the
real reasons, I suspect that if we knew those Bush would have lost the
election by 60 million votes.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I got accused of being humorless last night. I'm considering quoting
Old November 27th 04, 12:11 AM
Chuck

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

om...

"Chuck" wrote in message
news
I've almost never kept a balance on a credit card. If I can't get

real loan (i.e. bank loan with reasonable terms), then that means I
probably can't afford whatever it is I want to buy.

Must be nice... I don't have the option of very many luxuries, so I
need
credit from time to time for necessities...

Is your computer a luxury or a necessity?

I said "very many luxuries". Never said that I didn't have *any*

My PC is a luxury as well as my DSL, although it's only $5 more a month
than
dial up, and so is my Dish Network, but I only have the basic package.
Those
are my luxuries... What are yours?

Mine are not an issue. I'm not complaining about credit card policies

while
purchasing luxuries. You are.

Oh... OK.... well, are my luxuries excessive? Apparently, you already had
your opinion of me and my luxuries...

---

Old November 27th 04, 01:10 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Many reasons were given for invading Iraq. Which were wrong?

All of them.

You say that because you don't know the reasons given for invading Iraq.

I know the reasons that were given to the public and the UN beforehand.

That is unlikely.

Every single one of them was either wrong or an outright lie.

Explain why.

As for the real reasons, I suspect that if we knew those Bush would have
lost the election by 60 million votes.

The real reasons were those given, but you're not familiar with them.

Old November 27th 04, 01:14 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chuck" wrote in message
. com...

I said "very many luxuries". Never said that I didn't have *any*

My PC is a luxury as well as my DSL, although it's only $5 more a month
than
dial up, and so is my Dish Network, but I only have the basic package.
Those
are my luxuries... What are yours?

Mine are not an issue. I'm not complaining about credit card policies

while
purchasing luxuries. You are.

Oh... OK.... well, are my luxuries excessive?

In your position, yes.

Apparently, you already had your opinion of me and my luxuries...

No, it was formed when you admitted you spent money on luxuries while
bitching about your financial situation.

Old November 27th 04, 01:17 AM
Mike V.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Apparently, you already had your opinion of me and my luxuries...

No, it was formed when you admitted you spent money on luxuries while
bitching about your financial situation.

Were you born a prick or did you learn to become one?