Pilatus landed on state highway

Old January 17th 05, 10:12 PM
Ron

Default Pilatus landed on state highway

Small plane lands on SR 933 12-14

""I was actually headed the opposite direction. I see this plane coming
right straight for me. As I'm sitting there watching it closely, I saw
it touch down and hit a pole and then came to a complete stop," said
Jamison Rayner, an eyewitness. "I just pulled off to the side to make
sure it wouldn't hit me."

The plane=92s five passengers were not injured however, during the
emergency landing, the plane's wing was torn off. The damage caused a
lot of fuel to spill onto the roadway. "

http://www.wndu.com/news/122004/news_38999.php

Old January 18th 05, 12:50 PM

Interesting. I thought the news article was actually fairly
informative and non-sensational.

Old January 18th 05, 06:04 PM
Barney Rubble

Apart from the fact that a source from the insurance agent commented that he
estimated the damage at $2.5M. Since a new one is 'only' $3.4M, this seems a
little high!

- Barney
ups.com...

Old January 18th 05, 06:18 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Barney Rubble wrote:

Apart from the fact that a source from the insurance agent commented that he
estimated the damage at $2.5M. Since a new one is 'only' $3.4M, this seems a
little high!

That estimate probably includes other damage, such as the power lines and pole
and the recovery expenses.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
Old January 18th 05, 06:21 PM
Denny

Hummmphhh... Can't be, not possible - everyone knows that turbine
engines are reliable and never quit... That's how Pilatus sells these
single engines to customers instead of King Airs...

Denny

Old January 18th 05, 06:26 PM
Peter Duniho

"Barney Rubble" wrote in message
Apart from the fact that a source from the insurance agent commented that
he
estimated the damage at $2.5M. Since a new one is 'only' $3.4M, this seems
little high!

Everyone's a critic.

I'd guess that the insurance agent has a better basis for estimation than
you, seeing as how he actually has first-hand knowledge about the accident,
as well as presumably some familiarity with paying out claims for that type
of aircraft. (If you're an insurance agent representing an underwriter
covering PC-12s, I take that back ).

Besides, a whole wing got torn off. It's a lot harder to put a wing back on
when it's been removed forcefully, than it would be to attach it during
initial construction.

I have a lot more confidence in the $2.5 million figure than any estimate
you might propose. Care to offer a guess anyway, just for grins?

Pete

Old January 19th 05, 12:35 AM
Robert M. Gary

I can't imagine that an insurance agent would OVER estimate the damage.
He's the one writting the check, I'm sure his number is low ball. It
probably includes settling the suits that will surely come as well.

Old January 19th 05, 12:36 AM
Robert M. Gary

I friend of mine had an accident in his Mooney 201 that cost almost 1/2
million dollars. The plane sure wasn't worth that but each pax used his
$100,000 and the pilot uses all his medical, in addition to the cost of
the plane. (which was totalled).

Old January 19th 05, 01:23 AM
Matt Barrow

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hummmphhh... Can't be, not possible - everyone knows that turbine
engines are reliable and never quit... That's how Pilatus sells these
single engines to customers instead of King Airs...

Fuel contamination?

--
Matt
---------------------

Old January 19th 05, 01:23 AM
Matt Barrow

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Barney Rubble wrote:

Apart from the fact that a source from the insurance agent commented

that he
estimated the damage at $2.5M. Since a new one is 'only' $3.4M, this

seems a
little high!

That estimate probably includes other damage, such as the power lines and

pole
and the recovery expenses.

Not to mention laundering soiled underwear...

--
Matt