Downloading Flying Music?

Old January 28th 04, 06:33 PM
DBlumel

I guess the important thing here is for everyone to follow their own
compass. Some people never exceed 55MPH on the freeway, most people
do it every day. I think its more a weakness of the law than that of
the majority of the population. Has something to do with federal
matching funds and states wanting the money but not wanting to enforce
the law.

Sounds like situational ethics to me. If it feels good do it. This philosophy
works great for the selfish until the shoe is on the other foot. Then they are
very quick to call their own lawyer to protect their interests. The name for
this is hypocricy.
Old January 28th 04, 06:48 PM
Doug

From The Concise Oxford Dictionary

theft n. (Law) dishonest appropriation of another's property with intent to
deprive him of it permanently.

In no way does downloading music from the internet fit the definition of
theft. It is copyright infringement and nothing else.

BTW , shouting doesn't make you right, it only makes you LOUD.

Doug

"RobertR237" wrote
Sorry Doug, but I can not accept that, it remains theft as far as I am
concerned.

But in either case, it is WRONG!

Bob Reed

Old January 28th 04, 07:27 PM
RobertR237

In article ,
(Jay) writes:

That depends on rather you are downloading MP3 or the original format

recorded
on the CD. In the latter case, you are getting as near perfect a recording

as
possible. It can be reproduced a million times and not lose one bit.

Almost NOBODY downloads uncompressed music. Its just too unwieldly
with current bandwidths and tranfer protocols. Obviously you haven't
been downloading music (copyrighted or not) off the internet, LOL,
especially with a dial-up line.

NO, and most of those doing the majority are not using dial-up lines either.
You are right though, I am not been downloading music and don't intend to
start. If it is copyrighted, I will buy the CD or simply do without. I will
not copy and download the copyrighted material. The uncompressed versions
would only take a few seconds to download on a DSL line though and that is the
growing trend.

I guess the important thing here is for everyone to follow their own
compass. Some people never exceed 55MPH on the freeway, most people
do it every day. I think its more a weakness of the law than that of
the majority of the population. Has something to do with federal
matching funds and states wanting the money but not wanting to enforce
the law.

Yep, I guess if enough people want to steal your car that it should be OK too.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old January 28th 04, 07:43 PM
RobertR237

In article ogers.com, "Doug"
writes:

From The Concise Oxford Dictionary

theft n. (Law) dishonest appropriation of another's property with intent to
deprive him of it permanently.

In no way does downloading music from the internet fit the definition of
theft. It is copyright infringement and nothing else.

BTW , shouting doesn't make you right, it only makes you LOUD.

Doug

Theft
b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property

No matter how you try to justify it, it is the unlawful taking of property, it
still is theft and it still is wrong.

BTW, if you are going to try and use the dictionary to prove your points, you
need to learn to read all the definitions and try to understand their meaning.
You obviously stopped when you thought you found something to justify your
point.

Old January 28th 04, 08:11 PM
Doug

Sorry Bob, but it ain't theft no matter how much you would 'like' it to be.
Even the RIAA knows it's not theft. I'm also not trying to 'justify it' and
I'm not trying to say it's 'right', just that this is not theft . Anyway , I
grow weary of this ....you aren't going to open your eyes , so I give you
the last word.

Doug

"RobertR237" wrote

Old January 28th 04, 10:00 PM
Blueskies

Key words there are 'limited time'. Creativity in the USA is being stifled by folks trying to extend for an indefinite
time copyrights and patents. You cannot protect intellectual property.

--
Dan D.

..
"Bob Fry" wrote in message ...
(DBlumel) writes:

A buck per song is not bad? Are you nuts? That is as much or more than you
would pay for a factory made cd, even more, when you consider the cost of
the blank data disk.

The only fair thing to do is rip off the music industry as bad as you can,
for overcharging us for music all these years.
--
Jim in NC

Sorry Jim, we live in a free market economy. If you don't want to buy because
the price is too high in your estimation, that's your choice. But you cannot
justify stealing because you think they charge too much.

Sure you can. I justify it for this reason:

"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
respective writings and discoveries;" US Constitution, Article I,
Section 8, Clause 8.

The US Congress passed a law which Clinton signed which extends
copyright for some works to nearly 100 years! Does that sound like
"limited times to authors"? Hell no! Congress some time ago ruined
the original intent of copyright and patents, and electronic
reproduction of text, images, and sound has made the whole notion even
more meaningless. Why is it that the little guy is forced to follow
some law which big corporations forced upon the populace; but those
big corporations don't have to follow the Constitution?

I'm for the original intent of the Constitution: authors of works
should enjoy exclusive right to their works for a limited time; then
they're up for grabs. Especially in today's rapid-paced, instantly
connected world--far different than 200+ years ago--"limited time"
should be something between 5 to 10 years for most works, probably
only 3 to 5 years for software.

Old January 29th 04, 02:04 AM
Blueskies

So you are saying it is OK to copy a few, but many copies make it wrong? Just where is the cut off? Fair use is fair
use...

--
Dan D.

..
"RobertR237" wrote in message ...
In article , "L.D."
writes:

"you are stealing a potiential sale from the owner of the rights to
reproduce and sell the music"

Ok it may be a poor example, but if it is, so is yours. Substitute hammer for
music in your example. Then I stole the right of the maker of that hammer of
a potential sale.

OK I do say I shouldn't copy music and sell it. Neither should I copy that
hammer and sell it. I have a pretty nice shop and I've copied several
tools. Now if anyone is going to tell me I can't copy a tool in my shop for
my use or a friend of mine, then our country is getting worse than a
dictatorship. Same goes for music.

Nobody is telling you that you can not make a copy for your use if you paid for
the original but when you download those copies from some source by the
MILLIONS and MILLIONS, you are participating in the theft. By the way, if you
copy that tool totally and start selling it or even giving it away in numbers
sufficient to get the attention of the original manufacturer, you will also
find yourself hip deep in trouble.

Old January 29th 04, 05:37 AM
RobertR237

In article om, "Blueskies"
writes:

So you are saying it is OK to copy a few, but many copies make it wrong? Just
where is the cut off? Fair use is fair
use...

--
Dan D.

There are provisions for making backup copies for the personal use of the
purchaser. What we are discussing though is downloading copies that you never
paid for or making copies and giving them away.

Old January 30th 04, 12:45 AM
Blueskies

Making copies and giving them away is (was) fair use - there is no profit to be made or expected, and it is just
sharing. I cannot imagine how many miles of cassette tape has been recorded and 'shared'. These uses have been
convoluted and redefined by the big corporations to be now called taking or theft. It will be real interesting to see if
anyone who is currently being sued by the record industry has deep enough pockets to adequately defend themselves.

--
Dan D.

..

Old February 4th 04, 06:08 AM
Bruce A. Frank

My son just turned me on to "iTunes." Download the software from the web
site then go to the store and buy tunes for $.99 each. The software lets
you burn the CD directly from the iTunes program and translates from mp3
format to what ever it is supposed to be to run on regular CD players.
If you try to use you own CD burner program by just drag and dropping
the music file it won't play on regular CD players. Found some Joan Bias
(I know, Baez) and John Denver that I had never heard before. Lot of
good Jazz and there is no charge for classical music.

Jay Honeck wrote:

We've got the PS Engineering CD/Intercom in our plane, and listen to CDs on
long trips.

I am obviously slipping into "dinosaur" status, as I have never downloaded
music, for "burning" onto a blank CD. I *have* burned CDs, but I've always
done it from tracks played off of another CD.

Does anyone here download (and then burn) CDs for listening while in flight?
Any recommended sites? Tips? Are these things still free, or did all the
freebies get sued out of existence? Thanks!

BTW: We've got FOUR new additions to the Rec.Aviation Rogue's Gallery!
They a

- The famous (infamous?) Badwater Bill Phillips, and the zillion planes he's
flown...
- Ross Richardson and his super 180 hp 172!
- CJ Campbell, world-famous flight instructor, and his fabulous 206!
- Bryan Chaisone, and his cool Robinson R-22 helicopter...

See all these guys at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm .
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

--
Bruce A. Frank, Editor "Ford 3.8/4.2L Engine and V-6 STOL
Homebuilt Aircraft Newsletter"

Flying with music? caroline Aerobatics 0 September 18th 04 03:13 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 February 1st 04 07:27 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Home Built 0 December 12th 03 12:01 AM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 Aerobatics 0 December 12th 03 12:00 AM
OT- beech starships still flying? patrick mitchel Home Built 6 November 30th 03 03:30 AM