Light Sport Aircraft survey

Old June 2nd 05, 10:06 PM
Morgans

"Dylan Smith" wrote

In
particular, temperature control is FAR better because it's mainly
thermostatically liquid cooled, so there are fewer concerns over the
engine cooling too fast in a descent or overheating in a climb.

Are you 100% positive about the thermostat being in a 914? I know it is
water cooled, but I could have sworn that someone recently said (in a
different thread) that there was no thermostat.

I'm glad you feel warm and fuzzy flying a Rotax. The 912 and 914 could be
great, but with all of the other (IMHO) pieces of work Rotax has produced, I
have no faith in anything with that name of it. Sorry, but not my butt!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 4th 05, 02:19 PM
ls

rpellicciotti wrote:
My experience is that single place airplanes don't sell. Even though a
lot of people fly their airplanes solo 90% of the time, they feel like
they need the extra seat to justify the purchase. Also, some people
don't like the idea of going solo on a new aircraft type without being
able to get a check out.

A perfect example of this is the RANS S-9. One of the greatest little
airplanes ever. I had one and loved it. They never sold very well
until Randy Schlitter designed a similar but bigger airplane that had
two seats. The S-10 as it was called sold at a clip more than 3 times
the number of S-9's.

Rick Pellicciotti

This is all true..... This is what makes the single-place aircraft is
one of aviation's best kept secrets, especially for guys like myself
whose friends are all either already pilots or don't want to fly, and
whom women won't come within 100' of under any circumstances.

In fact, for light aircraft, the single place:

- requires a lot less motor. Many designs (including the S9) can get by
with a Rotax 503 and a good prop, cutting the motor costs down to as low
as 1/4 of what would need to be spent on the 2-place version (i.e. a 912
or a Jabiru or such).

- weighs between somewhat and a hell of a lot less than the 2-place version.

- offers similar performance, most of the time, to the 2-place version

- has significantly reduced control system complexity, due to the lack
of the second set of controls

- are often significantly less expensive to buy on the used market, due
to their unpopularity.

This last point is the best part from a buyers perspective. True, a
single-place is a lousy investment for an airplane seller, but they're a
great investment for an airplane buyer/flyer.

I got N646F, for example, for less than half what the equivalent 2-place
would have gone for on the used market (assuming similar condition), but
it has probably 80 to 90% of the performance and other capabilities of
the 2-place versions. Not to mention the cheaper cost of operation due
to the 503 engine as opposed to the Jabiru or 912 you'd need on the
2-place to get matching performance (well, you could run a 582 on a Kolb
2-place, but two-up, you'd probably not get the most wonderful performance).

So, yeah, if you plan to sell your airplane, get a 2-place. But if you
want to fly affordably, a single-place is one of the better (if not the
best) options available......

LS
N646F
Old June 4th 05, 03:11 PM
ls

Morgans wrote:
"rpellicciotti" wrote in message

Jim,
I appreciate your comments. Obviously, we think the airplane is a
winner or we would have bought a different one. Would you mind
expanding on your comment a bit?

See my post, and the other posts from other people. They all raise (or
most, anyway) some good points.

Actually, those points that have been raised are not so good, because
they don't jive well with what we're seeing out in the field with these
motors.

The Jabiru in particular is actually working out _very_ well locally,
which is a kind of nice surprise. We have a few of these flying in our
area and the results are actually very good. A friend of mine is using
one on his 2-place kolb and it may actually outlive the airframe itself
I think the motor is now at 400 hours or something in that region and
it continues to give the owner very low maintenance service.

I personally don't like the 3300 typical rpm and thus the teensy prop,
but I can't argue with the performance of that plane, even in climb.

The 912, well, its record is even longer and it's also known as a very
reliable and long-lasting motor (there's even a certificated version,
the 912S I think it is).

As far as the 6 thousand, I could live with that. The useful load is a
problem, but that is tolerable, too.

The continental and lycomings are good motors, but needlessly expensive
and heavy choices for light a/c with the 912 and now the Jabiru as
reliable options. That's why we're starting to see these motors used on
an increasing basis........

LS
N646F