headset for passenger wanted

Old February 17th 05, 08:38 PM
Neil Bratney

Default headset for passenger wanted

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a second-hand aviation headset to have on-hand for
any passengers I may take up in the plane I rent. Nothing fancy at all
needed, simply looking for a PNR set so the "passenger du jour" and I
can communicate.

I've been looking on Ebay and typically see junky models going for
around $50. By junky, I mean physically unreliable and/or cloth
earpads. Anybody have recommendations about other places to look? Any
flight school dropouts looking to sell theirs?

Neil
Old February 17th 05, 10:12 PM

Neil,
After getting new ANR headsets, we relegated the two cheapo flight
school headsets to passenger seats. They were bulky, heavy with
marginal noise protection and the microphones stopped working after few
years. We replaced the first one with Peltor Sport LE for something
like $250 last year and the second one with Lightspeed QFR solo few
months ago for a great price of $89.95 at

http://www.wspilotshop.com

Both are light weight and have quite good noise protection.
Pricewise, the Lightspeed is a great buy. Lightspeed is also
well-known for customer support. You maybe able to get a nice used
headset for a cheaper price but there would be no warranty.

Hai Longworth

Old February 17th 05, 10:40 PM

AVShop also has some inexpensive headsets. I got two of them for the same
purpose you are wanting them for. Everyone who has used them had no
complaints.

--
Mike Flyin'8
Old February 18th 05, 02:51 AM
Bryan Burchfield

Neil Bratney wrote in news:bh7Rd.4798$3V3.1097
@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a second-hand aviation headset to have on-hand for
any passengers I may take up in the plane I rent. Nothing fancy at all
needed, simply looking for a PNR set so the "passenger du jour" and I
can communicate.

I'll second the recommendation for the Lightspeed QFR Solo. I bought one
for the exact same reason you're looking. I've flown with it several times
and I think I like it as much as my ANR set - which is hard for me to admit
to myself since it cost 1/4th as much.

Old February 18th 05, 01:16 PM
Cecil Chapman

There's a headset called the Softcomm C-50 Black Knight aviation headset
(NRR: 22 dB) that works just fine and is less than $100. I know, because I
used one when I first started flying, to save the flying bucks and it served
just fine, though eventually during my primary training I got the QFR Solo
by lightspeed. I now have one of the higher end ANR headsets from
Lightspeed, but will always have a soft-spot for that first headset I ever
had! By the way, I recall that Softcomm's sales staff was MOST friendly
and helpful!

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old February 18th 05, 01:35 PM
Cecil Chapman

Slight boo boo,,,, first headset was the Prince C-45 by Softcomm and then I
got the Black Knight and then the Lightspeed QFR .... and then,,, well you
get the idea :0)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL-IA
Student - CP-ASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -
. ..

Old February 18th 05, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm looking to buy a second-hand aviation headset to have on-hand for any
passengers I may take up in the plane I rent. Nothing fancy at all
needed, simply looking for a PNR set so the "passenger du jour" and I can
communicate.

Neil, Neil, Neil. You must be new to the way this aviation thing works.
Here's what you do:

A) Passenger needs a headset
B) You now have a perfect excuse to buy YOURSELF a new pair
C) Relegate your old "junky" pair to the passenger seat.
D) Repeat as needed until you've worked your way up to the Bose X.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 18th 05, 03:18 PM
Cecil Chapman

This is good advice..... indeed a great means to secure that new headset
you've been wanting GRIN

=-----

Old February 18th 05, 03:44 PM
George Patterson

Jay Honeck wrote:

Neil, Neil, Neil. You must be new to the way this aviation thing works.
Here's what you do:

A) Passenger needs a headset
B) You now have a perfect excuse to buy YOURSELF a new pair
C) Relegate your old "junky" pair to the passenger seat.
D) Repeat as needed until you've worked your way up to the Bose X.

That's how I wound up with 8 headsets for a 4-seat plane.

George Patterson
He who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in
no other way.
Old February 18th 05, 03:52 PM

That's how I wound up with 8 headsets for a 4-seat plane.

George Patterson
He who tries to carry a cat by the tail learns something he can
learn in no other way.

That is a difficult one to explain to the wife.
"Uhhh dear, I sorta need another headset. Mine sorta sucks real bad."

--
Mike Flyin'8

dead headset wanted Products 2 January 21st 05 03:59 AM
WANTED! David Clark Headset [email protected] Owning 0 December 29th 04 05:23 PM
David Clark Headset wanted Marty from Sunny Florida Products 0 October 5th 04 02:53 PM
Distortion in headset - advice wanted Andrew Sarangan Piloting 3 August 21st 04 02:15 PM
Headset wanted Mike Cunningham Aviation Marketplace 0 August 25th 03 01:26 AM