Ten Years of Flying

Old February 18th 05, 01:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks, too, for your many postings and musings here. Keep those things
coming. Hope to get out your way, one of these days. My wifes brother
lives in Muscatine and two good friends of mine live in Lake City. When in
the area, we'll give you a callup for a reservation.

Thanks, Arnold. We'll keep the beacon on for ya!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 18th 05, 02:12 PM

Montblack wrote:

Ten years is Titanium isn't it? g

No, I'm pretty sure ten years is a set of dual Garmin GNS 530s...that's
what I'm telling my wife, anyway.

Nice write up.

Agreed! Congrats Jay! Keep up the wonderful writing too...you have a
gift. Hope see see an aviation-themed offering by Jay Honeck at Borders
sometime!

Cheers,

Cap

Old February 18th 05, 02:53 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:

Hey, you just might catch up in total time. If you want to build

hours,
don't let your wife get her ticket. :-)

Jay,
Congratulations. There is an easy way for both pilots in the family
to build hours. One flies under the hood while the other acts as the
safety pilot. Granted that it's a tradeoff, either you get to
manipulate the controls and stare at the gauges or to swivel your head
around looking at the scenery but if you love doing both, it's equal
opportunity.
Hai Longworth

Old February 18th 05, 04:50 PM
Gene Seibel

We have been chosen to experience something that few others have. To
us, it's not simply flying - millions get on airliners every day and
"fly" from place to place. It's a freedom, a state of mind, an added
dimension, an appreciation, a reverence. It's something we feel, not
something we do. It affects our view of each new day, our community,
our planet and even our universe. We start out wanting to bring
everyone along, but eventually realize we are the chosen ones. Most
will live out their lives on a flat earth.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old February 18th 05, 05:22 PM
Jim Burns

Call me a thief, but I'm going to steal what you've written below. In fact,
I've already emailed it to my wife.

I think you have perfectly described why flying is NOT expensive. What
other recreational endeavor rewards it's participants with such freedom and
abilities? What other hobby requires it's members to obtain such extensive
knowledge of the world around them and then demands that they use that
knowledge in life-preserving manner but for their efforts rewards them with
experiences and views beyond description? (ok, maybe mountain climbing)
Where could you possibly buy anything so wonderful? What idiot would sell
it if he owned it? How could he even put a price on it? It is truly
priceless and yet pilots are more than willing to GIVE this wonderful
experience to any interested person, just for the asking.

Flying is CHEAP and pilots are RICH! Rich with experiences that can be
obtained no other way. Rich with memories that will last their lifetime.
Rich with the friendship of other pilots and families that have experienced
the joy of flying.

Thanks Jay.

It's been in an incredible journey.

To have the ability to simply hop in a plane, and *go* -- literally

anywhere
in the Western Hemisphere -- at a moment's notice, is truly amazing.
Sometimes I think we pilots get jaded to that fact, but it's something

that
bears repeating.

Because of G.A., Mary and I have been everywhere, from Wisconsin to

Florida,
from Nevada to New York. When I first got my ticket, I was able to fly

my
Mom back to her little home town, where she arrived like a queen in her

own
personal son-flown airplane, to the amazement of friends and relatives
alike. We were both proud as peacocks, and I truly believe that was the
best day of her retirement years.

A few years later, when she lay dying, aviation was the gift that allowed

me
to fly home to be with her every few days. Without G.A. I would not have
been able to say goodbye...

My kids have seen Cape Canaveral, Lakeland, Oshkosh, the Grand Canyon, the
Great Lakes, Mackinac Island, Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Carlsbad

Caverns,
the Gulf of Mexico, the Ozarks, and a hundred other places that they could
NEVER have seen if we were flightless birds. Even before the hotel, our
small business life meant that days off were few and far between, so the
speed and spontaneity of flying has allowed us to provide our children

with
a nearly normal life, in a very strange sense of the word.

Finally, and most importantly, flying has made me a better person.

Because
of aviation, I'm more highly motivated, more organized, and mentally

sharper
than I would be otherwise. Best of all, by surrounding myself with
pilots -- both here in cyberspace, and in "real life" at the hotel -- I

have
learned so many things from some of the best and smartest people on the
planet.

Face it -- the world is full of crap, and crappy people. Pilots are far

and
away the best of the lot -- and I'm honored to be one of them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 18th 05, 05:39 PM
Jack Allison

Congrats. Jay! I'm just under 8 years behind you in reaching that 10
year mark. I too hope for many more years of flying...not to mention
maybe someday perhaps getting paid to fly. Not make a living mind you,
maybe just enough to offset the cost of flying.

Here's to 10/20/30/+ more years!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student-Arrow Shopping Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old February 18th 05, 06:56 PM
Montblack

(Captainwubba wrote)
Ten years is Titanium isn't it? g

No, I'm pretty sure ten years is a set of dual Garmin GNS 530s...that's
what I'm telling my wife, anyway.

http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/...iswedding.html
(Chicago Public Library)

Looks like ten years is actually Aluminum!!

Montblack

Old February 18th 05, 09:09 PM
John E. Carty

"Montblack" wrote in message
(Captainwubba wrote)
Ten years is Titanium isn't it? g

No, I'm pretty sure ten years is a set of dual Garmin GNS 530s...that's
what I'm telling my wife, anyway.

http://www.chipublib.org/008subject/...iswedding.html
(Chicago Public Library)

Looks like ten years is actually Aluminum!!

Montblack

Now you tell me. Doubt I can get the diamond necklace back from the wife for
a roll of reynolds wrap :-(

Old February 19th 05, 12:31 AM
Jack Allison

Hey, look who's finally back to posting! Ya, I know, you've been back
for a bit...just had to mention it. The humor factor just went up a notch.

Titanium...Aluminum...nah...I think the GNS upgrade is required. Heck,
I'd take a *single* 430 and call it good. Yep, I can see it now in the
(future) Arrow panel. Saw a picture of an Arrow panel with a 530 and a
430. It was great until you looked at the $120K+ price for the plane
though. Yikes them avionic thingys are expensive :-)

Old February 19th 05, 05:13 AM

Funny. Thats the element that has us addicted to aviation...

Ben