Light Sport Aircraft survey

Old May 30th 05, 03:33 PM
Lakeview Bill

A lack of time for research is the reason that I didn't reply to this...

From what I have read, an airplane must be certified for IFR, either from
the factory, or in the field. And it must have periodic inspections to
insure IFR certification. Again, this is just what I believe I have read.

But keep in mind that Light Sport Aircraft are not certificated in the same
manner as other aircraft. I doubt that there is even an IFR certification
available for a Light Sport Aircraft.

"ls" wrote in message
Bryan Martin wrote:
in article , Lakeview Bill

at
wrote on 5/25/05 8:43 PM:

The Alaraus is not a Light Sport Aircraft by US standards.

Among other things, it has a gross weight of 1,692 lbs; the LSA maximum

is
1,320 lbs for SEL.

And by definition, there cannot be an IFR certified LSA, as they are

only
approved for day VFR as an LSA.

Sport PILOTS are prohibited from flying in IFR or at night, there's

nothing
in the rules that prohibit an aircraft that otherwise fits the

definition of
LSA from being flown in IFR or at night if it is properly equipped.

Actually... and I'm still researching this to be sure... but this might
not be the case. For either the SLSA or ELSA (or both, not sure), there
might be an automatic permanant inclusion of 'day VFR only' in the op
limits mandated by the rule!

Again, I"m not certain of this yet (nothing about SP is really very
certain ), but I think this will be the case..... All the more reason
to go experimental A/B, IMO.......

LS
N646F

Old May 30th 05, 04:35 PM
ls

Lakeview Bill wrote:
A lack of time for research is the reason that I didn't reply to this...

From what I have read, an airplane must be certified for IFR, either from
the factory, or in the field. And it must have periodic inspections to
insure IFR certification. Again, this is just what I believe I have read.

But keep in mind that Light Sport Aircraft are not certificated in the same
manner as other aircraft. I doubt that there is even an IFR certification
available for a Light Sport Aircraft.

I appear to have been wrong. The preamble to the SP rule states:

"Light-sport aircraft issued an experimental light-sport or special
light-sport airworthiness certificate that are authorized to operate in
Class B, C, and D airspace must have the equipment for VFR or IFR
operations specified in the applicable consensus standards....."

which pretty clearly indicates that nothing in the rule limits ELSA or
SLSA from being IFR certified......

I also couldn't find anything in the amendments elsewhere (such as parts
21 or 91) that specifically restricted ELSA or SLSA from being IFR
certified.....

So I guess you can do it.... Not sure I'd want to fly an LSA in actual,
but hey maybe I'm just not that fun of a guy...

LS
N646F

[snippage for space]
Old May 31st 05, 03:59 AM
W P Dixon

You are correct Jerry,
The plane itself can be IFR certified and capable of night flight, but
the sport pilot could not fly in those conditions. but a PPL can fly the
capable sport plane at night and with an instrument rating could fly the
same plane IFR. So when you build your 601 , put lights on it and
instruments ..it will be a light sport plane but will have a nice resale
value to PPL's as well

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

"Jerry" wrote in message
news
My understanding was that the no IFR flying applies to the sport pilot not
to the aircraft. A private pilot or above could fly a SLSA IFR if it is
equipped with IFR instruments.

Jerry in NC

Old June 1st 05, 02:27 AM
Rick Pellicciotti

Montblack wrote:

("Rick Pellicciotti" wrote)

Following the conventions of this group, I won't mention the airplane
I sell or the prices. If you are interested, email me off the group
and I will send you details.

It's not spam (IMHO) if the post is requested ...it's hangar talk. g

Post your plane's link and tell us what's special about it - and don't
forget those prices ($$$$$). Many interested people here. Be prepared
for some, um, feedback :-)

Will it, and you, be at Oshkosh?

Montblack

Sorry to take so long to respond to your post. I have been in Romania,
at the factory, taking delivery of our first two aircraft. Yes, we will
be at Airventure, display #39 and we will also have an airplane in the
"Light Sport Aircraft Mall".

Our airplane is the "Festival", manufactured by Aerostar S.A. of
Romania. Aerostar is the same company that builds the famous Yak52 that
I am sure many of you have seen at airshows and aerobatic competitions.

Festival is all-metal, and has side-by-side seating for two people. The
cockpit is 42" wide. The standard engine is the Rotax 912ULS, 100hp.
The airplane has a lot of small features that we think are important to
the owner such as locking gas caps and canopy, seats that adjust easily
and a large baggage compartment. The airplane has built-in, structural
roll-over protection. A lot of airplanes with canopies do not have
that. The biggest thing that we have done is that we have worked with
Aerostar to "americanize" the airplane. All parts that are subject to
wearing out or breaking such as brakes, wheels , tires, instruments and
avionics are all of American manufacture and can be sourced readily from
the usual places.

Aerostar is JAR21 and ISO9000 certified. They do sub-contract work for
Boeing and Airbus. They have about 2100 employees. Absolutley great to
work with and they build great airplanes. In the course of doing the
structural tests as required by the ASTM standards, they actually tested
one airframe to destruction. The standard requires 150% load at 4g's.
The airplane did 182%.

More details on our website at http://www.lightsportflying.com
Constructive suggestions are more than welcome.

Rick

Old June 1st 05, 04:23 AM
Morgans

"Rick Pellicciotti" wrote

More details on our website at http://www.lightsportflying.com
Constructive suggestions are more than welcome.

Good looking plane. It should do well.

Want a suggestion? Offer it with something other than a Rotax or Jabaru,
even if it costs more. I'm just one person, but I won't buy anything with
either of those choices.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 1st 05, 04:48 AM
Ron Wanttaja

"Rick Pellicciotti" wrote

More details on our website at http://www.lightsportflying.com
Constructive suggestions are more than welcome.

Rick, have the planes indeed received their FAA Special Light Sport
certification? They're not included on the May 25th news release on the EAA
Sport Pilot Page.

http://www.sportpilot.org/

Ron Wanttaja
Old June 1st 05, 12:53 PM
Lakeview Bill

Just out of curiosity, why do you dislike the Rotax?

"Rick Pellicciotti" wrote

Old June 1st 05, 02:05 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Lakeview Bill wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you dislike the Rotax?

I would suspect lack of support from local GA facilities - the 4 stroke
Rotaxes and the Jabiru are not particularly common in the US so few
mechanics will be familiar with them. Other than that, they are decent
reliable engines.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net