Auto Fuel STC

Old September 17th 03, 09:48 AM
Barnyard BOb --

Barnyard BOb wrote in message However, this is NOT an excuse to
use auto fuel in aircarft not suited to it.

The C-175 uses a geared Continental O-300. The valves will stick no matter
what kind of gas one chooses to use. Is this one of the types you consider
not suited for auto-gas?

D. ("aircarft"?)

Consider this engine reasonably unsuitable for everything.

Barnyard BOb --

Old September 17th 03, 09:52 AM
Barnyard BOb --

D. ("aircarft"?)

That is an aircraft with an auto engine and we know how BOb feels about
that.

Pardon me for buttin in, but huh?

--
Richard Lamb

Notice the appearance of "car" in the misspelled word.

You can groan now. g

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

G-R-R-R-R-O-A-N.

Barnyard BOb --
Old September 17th 03, 10:55 AM
Del Rawlins

On 17 Sep 2003 12:45 AM, Barnyard BOb -- posted the following:

I built most of my hours towards my commercial ticket flying a
C-175. What a POS. It was owned by the regional director of
Encyclopedia Britannica back in 1959. Certainly a fitting aircraft
for those pesky pimps peddling paper pulp. [For those too young
to remember, they were the equivalent of today's telemarketers.]

FWIW --
A fellow RV-3 owner here at 3GV also flies his dad's C-175.
On the way to Osh, it had a piston fail with less than 800 hours
since major, so he never made Osh. So.... this particular
engine continues to build a reputation only somewhat better
than the average auto engine in a plane. B-D

A friend of mine down in Homer has one and he likes it just fine. He
used to post here and bought it partly based on advice from Highflier,
who also seems to like them. My friend explained to me his theory on
why people have had trouble with the engine, which seems to make some
sense, but I don't understand all the issues involved well enough to be
comfortable explaining it here.

I'd consider the engine for my Bearhawk but I want a minimum of 200hp
for float operations, and maybe liquid cooling if possible. 8^)

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old September 17th 03, 01:52 PM

Robert Bates wrote:
: How long ago? I recently contacted him about a PA23-180 and he said he
: wasn't interested in working on any more STCs for the time being

He's probably busy laughing his way to the bank. We just put
$1600 into an autogas STC for our Cherokee 180. Doesn't seem worth it,
but there's $1-$1.5/gal difference around here so it'll pay for itself.
I can't complain too loudly, since the addition of fuel pumps, etc was
pretty much an FAA-mandated CYA from a marginal design from Piper to begin
with. So far no ill effects (unless you consider $14/hour fuel burn and
no fouled plugs "ill" effects).

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old September 17th 03, 04:16 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...
Robert Bates wrote:
: How long ago? I recently contacted him about a PA23-180 and he said he
: wasn't interested in working on any more STCs for the time being

He's probably busy laughing his way to the bank. We just put
$1600 into an autogas STC for our Cherokee 180.

The need for a second boost pump in the Cherokees is one of the
only places where the STC isn't just paper.

Old September 17th 03, 04:16 PM
Rich S.

"Del Rawlins" wrote in message

I'd consider the engine for my Bearhawk but I want a minimum of 200hp
for float operations, and maybe liquid cooling if possible. 8^)

Liquid cooling is an occupational hazard for float planes drivers. ;o)

Rich S.

Old September 17th 03, 05:29 PM
Corky Scott

wrote:

FWIW --
A fellow RV-3 owner here at 3GV also flies his dad's C-175.
On the way to Osh, it had a piston fail with less than 800 hours
since major, so he never made Osh. So.... this particular
engine continues to build a reputation only somewhat better
than the average auto engine in a plane. B-D

Barnyard BOb --

Hmmmm, cept that I've never heard of an auto conversion engine eating
a piston. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not heard of it.

Corky Scott

Old September 17th 03, 09:41 PM
Morgans

wrote:

FWIW --
A fellow RV-3 owner here at 3GV also flies his dad's C-175.
On the way to Osh, it had a piston fail with less than 800 hours
since major, so he never made Osh. So.... this particular
engine continues to build a reputation only somewhat better
than the average auto engine in a plane. B-D

Barnyard BOb --

Hmmmm, cept that I've never heard of an auto conversion engine eating
a piston. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not heard of it.

Corky Scott

Snicker... You beat me to it!
--
Jim in NC

Old September 18th 03, 12:29 AM
Barnyard BOb --

A friend of mine down in Homer has one and he likes it just fine. He
used to post here and bought it partly based on advice from Highflier,
who also seems to like them. My friend explained to me his theory on
why people have had trouble with the engine, which seems to make some
sense, but I don't understand all the issues involved well enough to be
comfortable explaining it here.

Del Rawlins-

I've heard enough of the "theories" and seen enough evidence
that I know that I don't need to own a C-175 unless it has an O-360
engine. The C-175 that blew the piston was being piloted by the
A&P that is intimately familiar with this plane and how to treat the
geared engine. Ditto for his dad and another long time C-175
A&P that helps with repairs, annuals and overhauls. This plane
has been "in the family" for many years, but **** still happens
with regularity. The damn thing is what it is. g

TBO by the book, when it can be made, is too short for me.

Barnyard BOb --

What's the best auto gas for a/c use in California? [email protected] Home Built 12 September 17th 03 08:47 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM
Christen Fuel Pump troubleshooting ShawnD2112 Aerobatics 4 August 17th 03 12:08 PM
Barnyard--- Auto engines Jerry Springer Home Built 10 August 8th 03 06:38 PM
Question ~ Does fuel injection add weight? Barnyard BOb -- Home Built 0 July 6th 03 09:47 PM