Auto Fuel STC

Old September 18th 03, 06:08 AM
Richard Lamb

Good candidate for a Blanton concersion ?

Barnyard BOb -- wrote:

A friend of mine down in Homer has one and he likes it just fine. He
used to post here and bought it partly based on advice from Highflier,
who also seems to like them. My friend explained to me his theory on
why people have had trouble with the engine, which seems to make some
sense, but I don't understand all the issues involved well enough to be
comfortable explaining it here.

Del Rawlins-

I've heard enough of the "theories" and seen enough evidence
that I know that I don't need to own a C-175 unless it has an O-360
engine. The C-175 that blew the piston was being piloted by the
A&P that is intimately familiar with this plane and how to treat the
geared engine. Ditto for his dad and another long time C-175
A&P that helps with repairs, annuals and overhauls. This plane
has been "in the family" for many years, but **** still happens
with regularity. The damn thing is what it is. g

TBO by the book, when it can be made, is too short for me.

Barnyard BOb --

--
Richard Lamb

http://www.flash.net/~lamb01/
Old September 18th 03, 08:31 AM
Del Rawlins

On 17 Sep 2003 09:08 PM, Richard Lamb posted the following:
Good candidate for a Blanton concersion ?

Every time I start to consider one of those, I keep coming back to the
weight. *If* I can afford it, and *if* the companies concerned can get
into production, I would like either a Deltahawk V-4 diesel or that ATP
turbine that has gotten some press in the last year. Deltahawk seems to
have their act together but I'm skeptical of the turbine folks. I
inquired via email as to their product status a few weeks ago and never
received a reply. Mazda and Subaru are remote possibilities.

The more I learn about the lyconts the less I want to use one on my
project.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old September 18th 03, 12:24 PM
Barnyard BOb --

FWIW --
A fellow RV-3 owner here at 3GV also flies his dad's C-175.
On the way to Osh, it had a piston fail with less than 800 hours
since major, so he never made Osh. So.... this particular
engine continues to build a reputation only somewhat better
than the average auto engine in a plane. B-D

Barnyard BOb --

Hmmmm, cept that I've never heard of an auto conversion engine eating
a piston. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, I've just not heard of it.

Corky Scott

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why would you hear of it?

Or more importantly ....
HOW would you hear of it, unless personally
involved or it happened in your personal little inner circle?

If you can infer that auto engines are in some way superior by what
you have or have not heard on the internet today, good luck.

Barnyard BOb --

Old September 18th 03, 12:29 PM
Barnyard BOb --

Corky Scott

Snicker... You beat me to it!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Enjoy.

Barnyard BOb --

Old September 18th 03, 12:44 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I've heard enough of the "theories" and seen enough evidence
that I know that I don't need to own a C-175 unless it has an O-360
engine. The C-175 that blew the piston was being piloted by the
A&P that is intimately familiar with this plane and how to treat the
geared engine. Ditto for his dad and another long time C-175
A&P that helps with repairs, annuals and overhauls. This plane
has been "in the family" for many years, but **** still happens
with regularity. The damn thing is what it is. g

TBO by the book, when it can be made, is too short for me.

Barnyard BOb --

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 05:08:20 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Good candidate for a Blanton concersion ?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Don't you mean.... COERCION? B-D

Barnyard BOb -- 51 years of flight

Old September 18th 03, 12:58 PM
Barnyard BOb --

The more I learn about the lyconts the less I want to use one on my
project.

Del Rawlins-

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're ready for a better teacher.
Her name is ... EXPERIENCE.

I hope she doesn't kill you.

Barnyard BOb -- 51 years of flight.

Old September 18th 03, 01:07 PM
Corky Scott

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:24:46 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

Why would you hear of it?

Or more importantly ....
HOW would you hear of it, unless personally
involved or it happened in your personal little inner circle?

If you can infer that auto engines are in some way superior by what
you have or have not heard on the internet today, good luck.

Barnyard BOb --

Because for 15 years I've been actively seeking news of auto engine
failures. Since I'm building up a Ford V-6 for use in my Christavia,
I thought it might be a good idea to understand where the failures
have occured.

In regards auto engine conversion failures in general, there have been
some, of course. Most of the time the failure has been something
other than the shortblock. No question, a failure is a failure, but
the conversation was about a blown piston, which is part of the
shortblock.

Still doesn't mean anything, people don't contact me when their engine
fails so I miss most of the news.

But Bruce is ruthless in printing news of engine failures, feeling
that we should understand the failure modes rather than stick our
heads in the sand. Can't recall any article on a blown piston with
the Ford. Perhaps he can comment.

Corky Scott
Old September 18th 03, 03:23 PM
Barnyard BOb --

In regards auto engine conversion failures in general, there have been
some, of course. Most of the time the failure has been something
other than the shortblock. No question, a failure is a failure, but
the conversation was about a blown piston, which is part of the
shortblock.

Still doesn't mean anything, people don't contact me when their engine
fails so I miss most of the news.

AFAIK, this C-175 piston failure is an anomaly.
Nothing more, nothing less.
Read more into it if you will.

But Bruce is ruthless in printing news of engine failures, feeling
that we should understand the failure modes rather than stick our
heads in the sand. Can't recall any article on a blown piston with
the Ford. Perhaps he can comment.

Corky Scott

No one is accusing anyone of having their head in the sand,
but given the millions of hours Lycoming and Continental have
been flown and tracked over the years, any backyard data base
by a couple of conversion enthusiasts is insignificant and quite
suspect in the scheme of things. The FAA and the AD system
far exceeds anything you or Bruce can begin to track regarding
auto conversion world faux pas.

Further...
The Ford engine is but one conversion and not a popular one.
Whatever its record is, or can be... it ain't good enough for the
majority of folks interested in converting auto engines today.
As far as I'm concerned, you Ford guys are riding a dead horse
and the Chevy boyz fall out of the sky with alarming alacrity.

Feel all warm and fuzzy with your minuscule knowledge/data base,
if you must. Your Ford defense is a hoot.... and moot.

Barnyard BOb -- 51 years of flight.
Old September 18th 03, 04:18 PM
Dptate

You're ready for a better teacher.
Her name is ... EXPERIENCE.

I hope she doesn't kill you.

Barnyard BOb -- 51 years of flight.

Hey Barnyard, Up until now it was only 50 years of flight. Happy birthday!

Dave "only 37 years of flight" Tate
Old September 18th 03, 04:32 PM
Del Rawlins

On 18 Sep 2003 03:58 AM, Barnyard BOb -- posted the following:

The more I learn about the lyconts the less I want to use one on my
project.

Del Rawlins-

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You're ready for a better teacher.
Her name is ... EXPERIENCE.

I hope she doesn't kill you.

The experience of others seems to suggest that no matter what engine I
choose, so long as I keep it supplied with fuel I will likely be alright.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/

What's the best auto gas for a/c use in California? [email protected] Home Built 12 September 17th 03 08:47 PM
Fuel pressure Problems smf Home Built 3 September 7th 03 08:25 PM
Christen Fuel Pump troubleshooting ShawnD2112 Aerobatics 4 August 17th 03 12:08 PM
Barnyard--- Auto engines Jerry Springer Home Built 10 August 8th 03 06:38 PM
Question ~ Does fuel injection add weight? Barnyard BOb -- Home Built 0 July 6th 03 09:47 PM