AN ENGINE FOR HOMEBUILDERS

Old June 4th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

Default AN ENGINE FOR HOMEBUILDERS

In article
,
wrote:

Hello All:

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another similar one, but someone
suggested reverse engineering a Pobjoy engine - if one could be found.
Read the last post in the following thread for a link to one that is
on display in a museum (at South County Airport in Northern CA):

http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...ic.php?p=20143

Dave

That would be the NorCal Antiquers Museum at South County. The engine
formerly was on display at Irv Perlich's Hill Country restaurant and
museum, until it was sold at auction.

Old June 4th 09, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

Hello All:

I'm not sure if it was this thread or another similar one, but someone
suggested reverse engineering a Pobjoy engine - if one could be found.
Read the last post in the following thread for a link to one that is
on display in a museum (at South County Airport in Northern CA):

http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...ic.php?p=20143

Dave

That would be the NorCal Antiquers Museum at South County. The engine
formerly was on display at Irv Perlich's Hill Country restaurant and
museum, until it was sold at auction.

That's about 10 minutes from my house. Oughta go down and take a look at
it.

As for the Flying Lady restaurant, we used to bike over with our kids
and wander around in the big barn/hangar, looking at the various flying
machines and old cars. Too bad it all turned out the way it did.
Old June 4th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I think that Irv had a major hand in its demise. Too bad -- I loved the
atmosphere!

1. He insisted on being "hands on" with menu selection and food
preparation, even though hwasn't that good a chef.

2. The major cause was his thumbing his nose at the County building
inspectors. A balcony collapse had a fatality (and consequent lost
lawsuit).

Old June 5th 09, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I hear, by the way, that the Ford Trimotor that used to reside in the
hangar ended up in southern california, and crashed at Fullerton airport
in 2004.

I think that Irv had a major hand in its demise. Too bad -- I loved the
atmosphere!

1. He insisted on being "hands on" with menu selection and food
preparation, even though hwasn't that good a chef.

2. The major cause was his thumbing his nose at the County building
inspectors. A balcony collapse had a fatality (and consequent lost
lawsuit).

Beyond that, the spent years annoying the local city council, building
projects without permits and so on. He actually might have done pretty
well, for himself and the community, if he'd ever dialed himself back
from 12 or so. Most of his problems were self-inflicted.

Whenever he got into a bind, fewer people were willing to give him a
hand; the balcony collapse was the final icing on the cake.

Anyway, Hill Country and the Flying Lady property was bought by Fry's
Electronics CEO John Fry from Perlich in 1998, including the 18-hole
golf course.

Supposedly, the American Institute of Mathematics is going to build a
166,000-square-foot conference center modeled after the Alhambra in
Granada, Spain. They broke ground on the project in early 2007. Haven't
heard much at all about it since.
Old June 5th 09, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,

I hear, by the way, that the Ford Trimotor that used to reside in the
hangar ended up in southern california, and crashed at Fullerton airport
in 2004.

I thought that it went to Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight. Next time I
go there, I will check for it.

Old June 5th 09, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Hix

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
Steve Hix wrote:

In article
,

I hear, by the way, that the Ford Trimotor that used to reside in the
hangar ended up in southern california, and crashed at Fullerton airport
in 2004.

I thought that it went to Kermit Weeks' Fantasy of Flight. Next time I
go there, I will check for it.

The Trimotor that crashed at Fullerton was N750RW.

Digging around a little, the Trimotor sold by Perlitch to Weeks was
NC9651. http://aerofiles.com/ford-locator.html says it's in Florida
currently, and thought to be flyable.

So it looks like the article I found saying the Fullerton loss was the
old Morgan Hill Trimotor was probably wrong, unless aerofiles list uses
the original civil registration number whether or not a given aircraft
has been reregistered with new numbers.