Combat Air Museum in Topeka worth it?

Old October 21st 03, 03:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Combat Air Museum in Topeka worth it?

Thinking about a day trip from Iowa City to this museum in Topeka, KS, on
Wednesday. Destination Direct says we'll be there in 1:44.

Anyone been there? Is it worth the trip?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 03, 04:38 AM
MLenoch

I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if they
made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour guides,
etc.
VL

Old October 21st 03, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

I was there several years ago. Dusty collection of warbirds old & newer.
Probably about 20 to 30 birds there. I enjoyed that aspect. Dunno if

they
made it more "family" presentable, ie. clean bathrooms, gift shop, tour

guides,
etc.

Well, I just got an email back from them, and they say they have a
restaurant on-site now.

Wherever there is food, my plane goeth! ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 03, 03:18 PM
Jay Honeck

Where is this museaum at?

Topeka, Kansas.

See http://www.combatairmuseum.org/hours.htm , to see their almost useless
website...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 03, 03:35 PM
M.E. Borner

For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
hamburger.

I visited 2 years ago during a stopover on a flight from NY to New
Mexico. We visited several aviation museums along the way (Liberal, KS
has a good one). It seems the only way I can get my wife to visit an
air museum is to take her on such a long flight that she needs a stop
to break the flight up. An air museum is acceptable to her, only for
that purpose. I'll take it anyway it comes.

Old October 21st 03, 05:31 PM
Jay Honeck

For an hour 45 minute flight it is worth it. I have certainly been to
better aviation museums but there is no such thing as a bad aviation
museum. Besides I would rather fly 1:45 and see a museum than eat a
hamburger.

Me, too!

Thanks for the feedback...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 03, 06:04 PM
Ross Richardson

Jay, if you want to go a little further south, go to Drake Field (KFYV)
in Fayetteville, AR. There is a long time museum on the field. It's been
years since I have gone through it. I do fly to Fayetteville about once
a month to see children and grandchildren. They just opened a restaurant
in the old terminal building that is now the FBO. All the airline
operations moved to NW Arkansas Regional. I understand the restaurant is
open everyday. They have a courtesy car and you could tour the
University of Arkansas about 10 minutes away.

Old October 21st 03, 10:04 PM
Roger Tracy

I meant which airport in Topeka.

Old October 22nd 03, 01:18 PM
Jay Honeck

Thanks, Ross. That's getting filed away in the brain bank for our next day
flight.

Today, it's off to Forbes Field and the Combat Air Museum!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA